Rambo: First Blood, Part 2

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Amazon.com
After Rocky and its sequels, Sylvester Stallone cast about for another character that would bring him the same kind of box-office hit--and found it in disillusioned Vietnam vet John Rambo in First Blood, a solid little action thriller. So when all else failed, Stallone went back to the same well in hopes of recapturing the same commercial success. Which this film did. But where First Blood was a no-nonsense thriller that pitted Stallone against a worthy (and not necessarily bad) Brian Dennehy, this one is a sadistic chest-thumper in which Rambo gets to go back to Vietnam: ostensibly, he's there to rescue missing POWs, but in fact the movie was a lame excuse for him to refight the Vietnam War--and win. Audiences ate up the cruel Vietcong (and their Russian manipulators) and Stallone's bogus heroics, but it was strictly by-the-numbers action. --Marshall Fine

I recently re-watched this for the first time in 20 years. It was one of my favorites as a kid so I was worried that it might not live up to my high expectations. Boy was I wrong...this movie still rocked!

I spent a summer working in a fish processing plant in Alaska and a buddy and I kept occupied by quoting conversations from this movie. Luckily there isn't a lot of dialog, so you can master the script pretty easily.

Here's my favorite exchange:

Rambo: Murdock...
Trautman: He's here.
Murdock: Rambo, this is Murdock, we're glad you're alive. Where the hell are you? Give us your position and we'll come to pick you up!
Rambo: Murdock... I'm coming to get you!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089880/

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both movies are total chest-beating B.S.

And I loved 'em both.... :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both movies are total chest-beating B.S.

And I loved 'em both.... :D

how so? they're both pretty over the top, but they're actually both movies aren't the jingoist "Go America Go!" patriotic slop that most think they are. both First Blood and Rambo are pretty critical movies of how America and it's government treated the troops who came home from Vietnam. First Blood obviously hit a little harder on the theme then Rambo which was just a straight blockbuster action pick and a damn good one at that.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how so? they're both pretty over the top, but they're actually both movies aren't the jingoist "Go America Go!" patriotic slop that most think they are. both First Blood and Rambo are pretty critical movies of how America and it's government treated the troops who came home from Vietnam. First Blood obviously hit a little harder on the theme then Rambo which was just a straight blockbuster action pick and a damn good one at that.

Didn't say "flag waving." While I said "chest beating," what I should have said was superhuman, machismo, chest beating."

And as I previously pointed out, I loved both of 'em. ;)

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is this the same guy that is projected to go in the first round? now he's making movies, is there anything this kid can't do?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not many know this, but the screenplay was written by Stallone and James Cameron. And the director went on to direct Tombstone.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not many know this, but the screenplay was written by Stallone and James Cameron. And the director went on to direct Tombstone.

Tombstone..... Ah yes.... The quintessential Wyatt Earp movie...