Quick thoughts on todays practice (8/12)

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Pro Bowl voting would probably disagree with you.

I think you're overstating your case just a little bit. Yes, Peterson struggled against smaller, quicker cornerbacks like Crabtree and Percy Harvin, but he more or less eliminated the best WR in the game in Calvin Johnson, too. You don't do that as a part-time player or an athlete who can't nail down his technique.

Corner is a difficult position to hammer down in the NFL. Even Revis Island took a couple of seasons to build. Peterson is well on his way to that level, he just has to work on containing the littler guys.

We are talking about being the best corner ever. Just think about that. Not being top 10 today right now. You cant be that struggling with average and below average WRs like Crabtree and Hartline in todays NFL. He was abused so many times so far, in fact he is closer to bust to me than being the best ever at CB position. He is good CB, extremely athletic that unfortunately doesnt have elite technique. Calvin had 121 yards.... And even if he did have one good game and eliminated a top reciever that had a bad day, so has Deangelo Hall as well, Peterson has regularly struggled against average recievers so far, even to the point where he looked as a bust.. I havent noticed many games where he shut down his opposition and dominated. He still lives by his name and draft stock. His pro bowl selection is due to his skills as returner, his skills running with the football, those skills are actually special.

He would have been a much better RB. But I do see him as becoming a good CB in the right scheme. I dont like to overhype players, not even when the Cardinals.

Arians knows what his best skills are and is trying to use them.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, what? Best corner ever? No. Running back? No.

Weird discussion.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
We are talking about being the best corner ever. Just think about that. Not being top 10 today right now. You cant be that struggling with average and below average WRs like Crabtree and Hartline in todays NFL. He was abused so many times so far, in fact he is closer to bust to me than being the best ever at CB position. He is good CB, extremely athletic that unfortunately doesnt have elite technique. Calvin had 121 yards.... And even if he did have one good game and eliminated a top reciever that had a bad day, so has Deangelo Hall as well, Peterson has regularly struggled against average recievers so far, even to the point where he looked as a bust.. I havent noticed many games where he shut down his opposition and dominated. He still lives by his name and draft stock. His pro bowl selection is due to his skills as returner, his skills running with the football, those skills are actually special.

He would have been a much better RB. But I do see him as becoming a good CB in the right scheme. I dont like to overhype players, not even when the Cardinals.

Wow. Seems like you are on your own here buddy..

Pretty much every expert I have heard talk about PP say that he is one of the best corners in the NFL. Not to mention my own eyes watching the guy play says that he is a special corner. Really not too sure what you are seeing..

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did you just list pp21 and bust in the same paragraph? Pass the joint man.

Best of all time discussions can kick rocks, hes a 3rd year pro - long ways to go but he is incredibly far from a bust and easily one of the top corners in the NFL today.

Wait, what? Best corner ever? No. Running back? No.

Weird discussion.

This.

seesred

Reaction score
IMO he is on his way to becoming an elite CB. After watching all his games sice becoming a Card he has had many,many more great plays than bad. Every CB gets beat, the best get beat less often. The QB these days in this passing league called the NFL where 4K yards in a season makes it hard on a CB.

Watch any game and you'll find a good CB getting beat by the constant attacks in his area of the field.That is why BA has smartly aquired a strong core of CB's. That will give some relief during a game.I'm very confident that the level of play by #21 will be almost as good as Aneas Williams was.

GBR

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Hm... I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Peterson is among the Top 10 cornerbacks in the NFL right now. Can we at least agree on that? Are you really saying that because Stevie Johnson had 6 catches for 83 yards (but no TDs) that Peterson isn't a good player? You can believe that, but you're squealing in a pretty empty pen at that point.

DeSean Jackson - 3 receptions for 43 yards.
Percy Harvin - 4 receptions for 37 yards and a TD.

Is Patrick Peterson as good as Champ Bailey in his prime (IMO the best cornerback of the last 10 years)? No. The next step that Peterson needs to take is to maintain that consistency against all types of receivers.

There's no reason that Patrick Peterson can't be as good as or better than Charles Woodson, who may be in line for the Hall of Fame when all is said and done.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is just goofy!

Do a bit of googling and you'll find a host of people, who know of what they speak, praise PP21.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So where does PP stand on a spectrum between bust and best ever? Who cares?

As long as he is closer to Aeneas Williams than Tom Knight, I am good.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
According to PFF stats PP21 was ranked 18th amongst all CBs in coverage in 2012 and that doesn't include the fact that PP was constantly covering the opposing teams best receiver. Not all teams have their best corner follow the best receiver around the field.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
He is going into his third year. He is well on his way to being a very good corner. Any mention of bust is completely crazy.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
underhype is prefectly fine though?

Lets find a medianhype.

Even though I hate medians.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I thought PP21 really came on and played at an elite level the second half of last season. If he plays that way this year he will be top ten for sure.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
PP is not even the best CB in the NFC West.

Have you considered that the other division 'brand x' cornerbacks got to face the pathetic Arizona Cardinal quarterbacks twice a year?
Patrick Peterson didn't get two bye weeks like they did. ;)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you considered that the other division 'brand x' cornerbacks got to face the pathetic Arizona Cardinal quarterbacks twice a year?
Patrick Peterson didn't get two bye weeks like they did. ;)
Oh, now that I can see. Good one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn