News of the Game - Washington

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Strongly disagree on Marco Wilson too.

Yes, he PI was dumb but I saw a tonne of those kind of PI calls yesterday.

He covered McLaurin all game and gave up 2 catches for 36 yards. He had one very nice PBU. And he tackled really well vs the run.
McLaurin was returning from injury, so I’m not sure how much I’d credit Wilson with shutting him down. Wilson had only one pass defended. I think rather than blanketing McLaurin it was more a case of Howell not being an effective QB.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Drive Killer :biglaugh:

His only penalty was an ineligible man downfield on 2nd and 8 on our own 18 that negated a 4 yard pass. Which became a 2nd and 13. Hardly a drive killer. And it was just at the start of Q2.

And he was about a yard down. Not great, but hardly unheard of.
This is situational. It’s true some of the blame falls to Dobbs and the OC, but when the Cards are in their own end getting 4 yards a carry and virtually no even midrange passing game, 5 yards is a big deficit. Better yet on that type of play call why don’t you explain how a competent center ends up downfield? What did you see as his accomplishments yesterday?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Sounds like you’re mostly unhappy with what you saw.
I will say the defense was way better than I predicted. The offense was about what I thought it would be. But what do you expect with the likes of Dobbs and the first game of the season. It’s near impossible to come in 17 days before game time and perform well.
You can bet he’ll start next week too. Tune won’t see the field unless things get really bad.
Also, I can’t get past this loose games to get a higher draft pick theory. I don’t believe for a second that there’s an underlying plan to tank and that apparently the coaches/players are not aware or on a different page.
Not really unhappy, more surprised. I predicted if Dobbs started they’d only score 6, but the defense changed that. I did think they’d run better. I do agree Dobbs starts next week though IMO that’s a mistake. Sorry but in watching MLB this year, tanking can work. I’m not sure there was much else they could do if they wanted to clear out the Kingsbury mindset too many players had.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
People stumped non-stop around here for Kliff. In watching an actual football coach yesterday, you realize how delusional people were about Kliff and the total lack of discipline and accountability surrounding the team.

Watching the Manziel doc made it even more clear - Kliff has no interest in being a leader or doing anything other than enabling. I'm really hoping an actual leader can push Kyler to the greatness that is inside.
I hope you’re right about Murray.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
60 and above are ok grades by their scoring system. A 70 is a pretty good game.
46.9 would seem scary. I’m not fully sold on all aspects of PFF, but they’re usually not that far off.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I hope you’re right about Murray.
There is no doubt that he has a lot of room to grow as a QB. Living his entire life in Kliff or Kliff like systems gives me hope. He has physical tools that nearly no other QB has ever had. He also was delusional about what was needed in terms of preparation for success in the NFL.

Claiming near clairvoyance and promptly falling on his face hopefully imbued him with a little humility when it comes to preparation for the position moving forward.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
46.9 would seem scary. I’m not fully sold on all aspects of PFF, but they’re usually not that far off.
Yeah - it's certainly not gospel, but they can usually tell you with some accuracy who had a good game and who didn't. Just a part of the data set.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Strongly disagree on Marco Wilson too.

Yes, he PI was dumb but I saw a tonne of those kind of PI calls yesterday.

He covered McLaurin all game and gave up 2 catches for 36 yards. He had one very nice PBU. And he tackled really well vs the run.

And Mclaurin 'sold' that PI.

I've looked at it twice and can't see either of Wilson's hands on him.

Reactions: PJ1
OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
46.9 as opposed to .8 or 47.0.

(And we're expected to take this seriously...)
Judging from the fact that the majority of NFL teams subscribe, I’d say a few people take it seriously. You’re right that the difference between 46.9 & 46.8 isn’t meaningful. However the difference between 46.9 compared to 80.0 would seem to imply someone saw quite a few weak plays To engender the 46.9 rating.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
And Mclaurin 'sold' that PI.

I've looked at it twice and can't see either of Wilson's hands on him.
Wow! I just watched it 3 times on NFL+. It was at the 5.08 mark for those of you with a recording. Wilson put his left hand on Mclaurin’s shoulder to prevent him from jumping then literally hopped on Mclaurin’s back. Q, you must have the wrong replay.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! I just watched it 3 times on NFL+. It was at the 5.08 mark for those of you with a recording. Wilson put his left hand on Mclaurin’s shoulder to prevent him from jumping then literally hopped on Mclaurin’s back. Q, you must have the wrong replay.
Agreed. It was one of the easiest PI calls you could ask for. Now if you want to talk about the Jalen Thompson helmet hit, there is a lot more ambiguity there.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Judging from the fact that the majority of NFL teams subscribe, I’d say a few people take it seriously. You’re right that the difference between 46.9 & 46.8 isn’t meaningful. However the difference between 46.9 compared to 80.0 would seem to imply someone saw quite a few weak plays To engender the 46.9 rating.
The majority of the NFL subscribes because of their game charting data, not their phony baloney grades.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then what is your definition of drive killer?

You must be registered for see images attach

The same as everyone else's definition.

A penalty on 3rd down that puts you well behind the chains. Preferably after an actual drive where you moved the ball, not on your own 18.

2nd and 13 ain't a drive killer. They still have 2 plays to get the 13 yards.

If that's a drive killer every penalty is a drive killer.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/JohnnyVenerable
Johnny Venerable
@JohnnyVenerable

Arizona Cardinals PFF grades (OL):
Will Hernandez 75.9
Paris Johnson Jr. 52.2
D.J. Humphries 47.8
Hjalte Froholdt 46.9
Elijah Wilkinson 30.7

Gotta be better upfront to give Josh Dobbs a chance against New York

And what's a good grade supposed to be? Man, that's ugly.

These are mostly down to run blocking grades. Paris for example had a 75 Pass Pro grade and didn't give up a single pressure.

These grades don't mean Dobbs wasn't protected.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McLaurin was returning from injury, so I’m not sure how much I’d credit Wilson with shutting him down. Wilson had only one pass defended. I think rather than blanketing McLaurin it was more a case of Howell not being an effective QB.

He can only do what he is asked. Unless you watched the tape those 7 sacks we had might be because Wilson and Clark were great in coverage.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The same as everyone else's definition.

A penalty on 3rd down that puts you well behind the chains. Preferably after an actual drive where you moved the ball, not on your own 18.

2nd and 13 ain't a drive killer. They still have 2 plays to get the 13 yards.

If that's a drive killer every penalty is a drive killer.

Did they get a first down?

Drive killer.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Johnny Venerable
@JohnnyVenerable

Arizona Cardinals PFF grades (OL):
Will Hernandez 75.9
Paris Johnson Jr. 52.2
D.J. Humphries 47.8
Hjalte Froholdt 46.9
Elijah Wilkinson 30.7

Gotta be better upfront to give Josh Dobbs a chance against New York
I expect these grades will be much better against the Giants. Wilkinson is definitely the weak spot. They all had a few screw ups but I see Paris becoming a good tackle this year. Humphries played better in pass pro than that score indicates. Hernandez earned that 75.9 grade. I seen him get beat a couple times. This line will need half the season to really get some cohesiveness. Should have kept Josh Jones and put him at LG. Beachum would be my pick now at LG. I just don’t see Wilkerson getting much better.

Froholdt has a good chance of becoming a decent center because of his strength and demeanor. This line needs time together more than anything to improve and that’s what we should see week to week.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What did you see as his accomplishments yesterday?

I'm through the first 2 drives so far on All 22 and he's been solid in both pass pro and run blocking. There was one play, a Conner run in his gap where he half let his man get back to Conner and slow him but otherwise all good. On Hollywood's Jet Sweep he was out lead blocking. He was right there next to him 30 yards down field.

Not through the rest yet as DAZN sucks and keeps messing up.

Weirdly Hernandez has been the worst OL so far IMO. This is the problem with P in that it's not weighted for situation. After the Ertz EZ drop we try a Dobbs designed run. Hernandez is supposed to cross in front of Fro and seal off the DT and Fro lead blocks for Dobbs.

Hernandez completely whiffs on his block, ends up on his ass, and his man tackles Dobbs before he can get anywhere.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score