Premier League 2023-2024 Season

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but there were high studs, and the league is emphasizing being hard on the tackler, for better or worse. FWIW, I thought one of the Newcastle players were getting sent off for a similar incident against City (can't remember the player). Only a yellow. It goes to show that the league and its officiating is wildly inconsistent.
Yeah, but the league clearly must have seen something that said both the ref and VAR got wrong. They don't like to change referee decisions and Howard Webb has made a point to state that publicly.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah, but the league clearly must have seen something that said both the ref and VAR got wrong. They don't like to change referee decisions and Howard Webb has made a point to state that publicly.
Yep. To me it was that wishy-washy of a call. Until they get absolutely crystal clear with both their rules and rules enforcement, we'll keep getting crap like this.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Shockingly, Man city already alone at the top of the table lol. West ham are another club crashing the top 4 early on. Spurs have impressed me, their midfield are proactive. Liverpool absolutely robbed 3 points in Newcastle. Arsenal drop points against Fulham. Going to be an interesting year. I hope someone can challenge man city.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I thought the arsenal man United game today was a good watch. Felt that arsenal were lucky not to go down 2-1. Man of the match should be the defender that held his line by a whisker.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
MacAllister won his red card appeal and will be on the field against Newcastle. I'm a bit surprised by it, even though nobody I know that saw the play things it was a straight red. I now put the odds even on the team that wins. But Liverpool is a +205 right now. That is tempting.
Ah HA!! Favoritism!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Luton-Nott'm Forest on USA network Saturday. Let's go!

City only has 10 matches left! Sad! Only Arsenal and Spurs stand in their way.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I DECLARE FREE AGENCY!

So I've been watching a bunch of the Champions League this week for really the first time ever, and it's weird because I'm actually looking forward to the games starting each day. I have zero allegiances, but I've watched some of the All or Nothing series in the past.

How did you guys pick which team to follow? What did you consider when picking a team?

Picking a team that is readily televised in the US seems important. Liverpool seems to have an incredible YouTube channel where they show a ton of behind the scenes stuff, which is awesome, but aren't they basically the Cowboys of the Premier League? Arsenal and Manchester United seem to have incredible stadiums.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I DECLARE FREE AGENCY!

So I've been watching a bunch of the Champions League this week for really the first time ever, and it's weird because I'm actually looking forward to the games starting each day. I have zero allegiances, but I've watched some of the All or Nothing series in the past.

How did you guys pick which team to follow? What did you consider when picking a team?

Picking a team that is readily televised in the US seems important. Liverpool seems to have an incredible YouTube channel where they show a ton of behind the scenes stuff, which is awesome, but aren't they basically the Cowboys of the Premier League? Arsenal and Manchester United seem to have incredible stadiums.

I like Klopp. That's why. Klopp. Klopp. Klopp.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I DECLARE FREE AGENCY!

Arsenal has super cool uniforms and lots of fun young players. Their stadium is pretty cool. Man U stinks.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I DECLARE FREE AGENCY!

You should pick a top 6 team (Spurs/Liverpool/Arsenal/Man U/Man City/Newcastle)

If you want to avoid dirty oil money, you should eliminate City/Newcastle.

United is pretty shambolic - they would be a tough one to follow.

I'm a Liverpool fan, so I'm biased, but I'd choose either Liverpool or Arsenal...they usually play an attractive form of football, so that's another selling point.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Another fun thing about English Soccer is relegation and promotion. It's fine to dive into the history of teams and follow their evolution and regression through the leagues :)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm a Liverpool fan, so I'm biased, but I'd choose either Liverpool or Arsenal...they usually play an attractive form of football, so that's another selling point.
So don't pick the Arizona Cardinals of the Premier League?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Newcastle is top 6? Man U?

I think not.
Not this year, silly! I'm talking about teams that are likely going to be in the top 6 moving forward. Who would you add/subtract?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What I did when I decided a team like 13 years ago or so was watch as many games as possible. That is pretty easy these days with Peacock and the streaming options. Eventually you will find a player or a team that fits the style you like, or the type or city and/or supporters it has. I probably did that for 2 years before I finally decided on Liverpool.

So don't pick the Arizona Cardinals of the Premier League?
Man U was like the Brady/Patriots of its time when Sir Alex was around. The team hasn't been the same since they left. I fear the same for Liverpool quite honestly.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I did when I decided a team like 13 years ago or so was watch as many games as possible. That is pretty easy these days with Peacock and the streaming options. Eventually you will find a player or a team that fits the style you like, or the type or city and/or supporters it has. I probably did that for 2 years before I finally decided on Liverpool.

Man U was like the Brady/Patriots of its time when Sir Alex was around. The team hasn't been the same since they left. I fear the same for Liverpool quite honestly.
City is the Patriots to the Liverpools as Steeler maybe :)
100% not.

Big 6 = Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea.
Chelsea?!? Hahahah

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To think, I could have done that while I lived in England and actually went to a bunch of games.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To think, I could have done that while I lived in England and actually went to a bunch of games.
What part? That might really help decide who to support.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson