Premier League 2023-2024 Season

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So tomorrow is the official opening of the new season for the Premier League. Who will win the whole enchilada, who will get Champions League places, who will get European spots, and who will be relegated?

I'll go for Man City to win it all again.
I'll go for Newcastle, Arsenal, and Liverfool for the CL, in no particular order (other than which team is cooler lol)
I don't know how how many get into Europe, but I'll say at least BHA, Aston Villa, and Man U make it into Europe--in that order.
I'll go for Sheffield, Luton, and, to be polarizing, Everton for the drop.

Edited because I forgot a team.

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Europe qualification is really complicated for England. It’s a minimum of 5 that can qualify based on EPL finish, but it get up to 8 if really crazy circumstances play out like a random team winning the Carabo & FA Cups and England teams winning the European competitions. Provided big wigs win the domestic cups, it is usually Top 4 to UCL, 5 and 6 to UEL, and 7 to UECL.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's move all of the transfer talk to this thread. Makes the most sense.

I heard that England is soon going to be getting 5 Champions League spots instead of 4.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man City will probably win. I wonder what the bet is for the field instead of City. +150?

Arsenal, Man U are the other two I think for sure get top 4.
Liverpool is outside looking in unless they can shore up their midfield with Caceido or a couple other players.
Liverpool, Tottenham and Newcastle will fight for the 4th spot and will all be in Europe. Chelsea will be the last team in Europe.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Caciedo deal not done tonight.. Will be quite the talking point for Chelsea/Liverpool this weekend.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caciedo deal not done tonight.. Will be quite the talking point for Chelsea/Liverpool this weekend.
It really makes you wonder if the fact that they play each other on Monday factors in. Not only does it keep the player from the other team, but it also affects the other players as well.

Fascinating.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Let's move all of the transfer talk to this thread. Makes the most sense.

I heard that England is soon going to be getting 5 Champions League spots instead of 4.
England will likely get a 5th CL team next season, based on the last 6 seasons' form. I think the criteria is that 4 of the top 5 best countries with European representation in the previous season (which will be this upcoming season) will get an extra slot. That's all European competitions combined, IIRC. Also IIRC, they said England would be one of those countries 5 of the last 6 seasons.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
England will likely get a 5th CL team next season, based on the last 6 seasons' form. I think the criteria is that 4 of the top 5 best countries with European representation in the previous season (which will be this upcoming season) will get an extra slot. That's all European competitions combined, IIRC. Also IIRC, they said England would be one of those countries 5 of the last 6 seasons.
I wouldn’t mind a 5th slot where they have to jump in late in the qualification process.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
It’s hard to imagine anyone other than Man City winning the title. Arsenal, Man United will be two of the others. Liverpool, Newcastle, Brighton, Tottenham, and a couple of others will battle for the fourth spot. Sounds like a repeat of recent history, but I really don’t know which teams will do what anymore other than city is always winning. Tottenham got a point at Brentford which based on last years results is nothing to hang their head about. I’m relieved now that Kane is gone and not playing with one of the Manchester teams.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So tomorrow is the official opening of the new season for the Premier League. Who will win the whole enchilada, who will get Champions League places, who will get European spots, and who will be relegated?

I'll go for Man City to win it all again.
I'll go for Newcastle, Arsenal, and Liverfool for the CL, in no particular order (other than which team is cooler lol)
I don't know how how many get into Europe, but I'll say at least BHA, Aston Villa, and Man U make it into Europe--in that order.
I'll go for Sheffield, Luton, and, to be polarizing, Everton for the drop.

Edited because I forgot a team.
Man City winning again is so BORING. At least the Gunners made it interesting last season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man City winning again is so BORING. At least the Gunners made it interesting last season.
Liverpool have made it interesting a few seasons too. It isn't like they have run away with it every year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like Chelsea is getting both Caicedo and Lavia out from under Liverpool's nose. Weeeee.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin De Bruyne will be out 3-4 months after what is probably a hamstring tear. I'd still probably take City to win the league over the field, but one more major injury changes my mind.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Big match now with city and Newcastle.

Spurs looked better than I have seen in a very long time against a top side (or alleged top one). It looked like a full team performance rather than standing around waiting on kane or son to do a trick. Spurs were lucky to keep a clean sheet, but they were very positive on the ball throughout and themselves were unlucky not to score several goals.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disappointing but not a shameful result.
Really surprised Newcastle got virtually nothing going, besides that 2 on 1 opportunity where Callum Wilson went the wrong way on his run and broke up the opportunity.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Really surprised Newcastle got virtually nothing going, besides that 2 on 1 opportunity where Callum Wilson went the wrong way on his run and broke up the opportunity.
Pretty clear that the energy levels weren't there. I'm betting it was nerves, although at the time I thought Howe set them up to press a little less.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty clear that the energy levels weren't there. I'm betting it was nerves, although at the time I thought Howe set them up to press a little less.
The sad part, is that there probably wasn't a better time to play City considering who left, who wasn't playing, and who they haven't signed yet.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
The sad part, is that there probably wasn't a better time to play City considering who left, who wasn't playing, and who they haven't signed yet.
Too true. And, watching We Are Newcastle United and our 2-0 loss to them last year, it looks like we played way better then.

Oh well. We weren't going to challenge for the title this season, and anything in this game would've been gravy. Would've liked to have seen more fight, but it is what it is.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MacAllister won his red card appeal and will be on the field against Newcastle. I'm a bit surprised by it, even though nobody I know that saw the play things it was a straight red. I now put the odds even on the team that wins. But Liverpool is a +205 right now. That is tempting.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
MacAllister won his red card appeal and will be on the field against Newcastle. I'm a bit surprised by it, even though nobody I know that saw the play things it was a straight red. I now put the odds even on the team that wins. But Liverpool is a +205 right now. That is tempting.
With that red card incident, I could easily see why, under the modern rules, it was called, and why, under the modern rules, it wasn't overturned by VAR. I can also easily see why, under modern rules, it was overturned under appeal.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With that red card incident, I could easily see why, under the modern rules, it was called, and why, under the modern rules, it wasn't overturned by VAR. I can also easily see why, under modern rules, it was overturned under appeal.
I can't. There was no intent, and there was no forceful follow through.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I can't. There was no intent, and there was no forceful follow through.
Yeah, but there were high studs, and the league is emphasizing being hard on the tackler, for better or worse. FWIW, I thought one of the Newcastle players were getting sent off for a similar incident against City (can't remember the player). Only a yellow. It goes to show that the league and its officiating is wildly inconsistent.