Playoffs 2010: Western Conf Semifinals, Game 3 – Suns At Spurs Game Thread

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SAN ANTONIO (AP)—Before the Spurs finished off the Dallas Mavericks, coach Gregg Popovich confronted George Hill(notes) before Game 6.
“So Georgie, what are we going to get tonight?” Popovich asked. “The George Hill that’s in attack mode, or the George Hill that is trying to make sure everyone is happy?”

The way the Western Conference semifinals are going with Phoenix, it’s a conversation Popovich hopes Hill will remember.
San Antonio returned home Thursday trailing the Suns 2-0—the most commanding lead Phoenix has built in a decade of postseason misery against the Spurs. The Suns have lost four consecutive playoff series to San Antonio since 2003, and Steve Nash(notes) has never gotten past the four-time NBA champions in six tries in his career.
Heading into Game 3 in San Antonio on Friday night, the Suns are already halfway to revenge.
“Our theme against these guys is, ‘No way, they will not go quietly in the night,”’ Suns coach Alvin Gentry said Thursday. “And they won’t. We understand that going down there. We understand that we have to play at a real high level to try to get a game down there.”
Fourteen teams in NBA history have climbed back from a 0-2 deficit, among them the Spurs in 2008 against New Orleans. But an exasperated Popovich was in no mood to reminisce about that after losing Game 2 on Wednesday night.
“No, I won’t think about that at all,” Popovich said. “These guys are grown men. They don’t need me to say, ‘Now remember the Hornets fellas. We’ve got to really pull it together for Game 3.’ Maybe I’ll talk about the Gipper but I’m not going to talk about the Hornets.”
A topic he’d much rather discuss is Hill, who has struggled after a breakout first-round series against the Mavericks. Hill has scored just 25 combined points in Games 1 and 2 against the Suns, and was in foul trouble Wednesday.
Hill averaged nearly 20 points in the final four games against Dallas, including becoming the first player other than Tim Duncan(notes), Manu Ginobili(notes) or Tony Parker(notes) to lead the Spurs in scoring in 41 playoff games.
Popovich has so far stuck with Hill in the starting lineup against the Suns, while Parker has averaged 23 points off the bench.
In his second season, Hill has gone from an atrocious shooter taken 26th in the 2008 draft to supplanting Parker in the starting lineup. He’s become a trustworthy 3-point shooter, a dependable defender and, as early as the start of this season, Popovich dubbed him his favorite player.
During Hill’s emergence early in the playoffs, Popovich went even further.
“Usually guys are role players or they’re star players,” Popovich said. “He’s going to progress from role player to star player.”
It’s a comment that carries import. The Spurs have long turned second bananas into essential complementary players, from Avery Johnson to Robert Horry(notes) to Bruce Bowen(notes) and Michael Finley(notes).
But Popovich doesn’t see Hill as just another side piece. Against the Mavericks, Popovich grew frustrated with Hill for doing what most guards in his position would—prioritize getting his three All-Star teammates on the court involved.
Popovich told Hill to stop deferring to the Big Three. How often has he told another player that?
“Sometimes to be a great leader you got to be a great follower, and he’s been a great follower in his short time with us,” said Popovich, adding that Hill will become one of “those rare guys” to elevate to a main role.
For now, Hill is just trying to get the Spurs a win in whatever role he can.
“They play well at home like we play well at home,” Hill said after Game 2. “We just have to take care of our home and try to come back in here and steal a win.”
The Spurs went 3-0 at home against Dallas in the first round.
“It’s a tough place to play,” Suns guard Jason Richardson(notes) said. “But if we stick to the things we normally do and play defense the way we have been playing we have a chance.”
AP Sports Writer Bob Baum contributed to this report from Phoenix.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010050724

C'mon Suns, you cant let up now. Stay mean and greedy, no Mr nice guy. Step on their throat and quench their hopes.

Go Suns!!!!!!!

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
IMO this will be the toughest game to win in this series for the Suns.

The Spurs are still 4x champions, they are at home, they are backed into a corner.

My heart longs for a sweep but my mind tells me this series will be 2-1 after tonight and I wont hold it against the Suns.

They are still the Spurs.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Lopez again for this game.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully the bench comes to play tonight! If they do we have a great chance of going up 3-0 that would be GREAT!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this team seemingly plays MUCH better when doubted/backs are against the wall... this ain't the case tonight. I think the Spurs play inspired and get a little home-cooking to make this thing a series.

Sunday's our game for the taking.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
No Lopez again for this game.

Arggh! :bang:

We really need Lopez! Not to beat the spurs per se, but we need him to get as many minutes as possible in this series, because if we advance we'll need him as close to 100% for our potential match-up against LA.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Here we go, 4 more hours. I think the Suns win tonight by 1. Amare will go off for 40 pts tonight, J-Rich will put in his 25, Nash will have 20 assists, Channing Frye will hit the game winning 3 with .02 on the clock to demoralize the Sperms for good.

LETS GO SUNS!!!!!!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Here's what this series has now boiled down to for the Suns... Stop Ginobli. As along as Ginobli continues to be a non-factor, our chances for a W skyrocket. Let Duncan get his 25 or so. Let Parker get his 25 or so... and let Jefferson toss up jumpers all game long. But keep Manu out of the flow of the game and nothing else matters. Mark my words - if Ginobli is kept under 15 points in this game, we WIN! If he goes for more than 15 points, we still might find a way to scratch out a W, but I doubt it...
Grant Hill and his containment of Ginobli will be HUGE tonight. The single biggest factor in tonights game...

Last edited:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Keep up the pressure. Don't let up. Make them fight for everything.
Make them wear out their starters to win this game.

I fully expect us to lose the game tonight but I am hoping to be surprised.

Go Suns!

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Beat the Spers.

As Norm Macdonald would say: the Spers have a lot of well-wishers.

(I'll give all 0 of my A$FN to anyone who gets that reference)

OP
OP
AfroSuns

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really think they we will the game tonight unless they come out prepared to give the Spurs the win. If they do lose i hope the make it competitive.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lets go suns huge game tonight I can't imagine what I would do if we somehow manage to go up 3-0 heh. I personaly don't see us beating the spurs tonight but I really hope i'm wrong and the suns come out on fire. The suns haven't had one of their great shooting games yet in this series so hopefully tonight is the night!!! GO SUNS Make the spurs fans go home really sad.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns win tonight by 1.

I'd take a 1 point victory but I wouldn't believe it till I saw it. If you missed the game and learned it was a one point game would anyone seriously expect it to be the Suns on top?

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Beat the Spers.

As Norm Macdonald would say: the Spers have a lot of well-wishers.

(I'll give all 0 of my A$FN to anyone who gets that reference)

A lot of us would like to throw them down one... a well.