Paul Shirley's Ramblings #2

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
Posted by Paul Shirley: March 20, 2005, 9:30 p.m.

Since I do not play much, I have some time on the bench to think about the things that are going on around me. By the end of any game, I will usually have scouted the crowd for the most outlandish outfit being perpetrated upon those in attendance, rated the looks of each member of the dance team, and come up with life stories for half of the first row. Today’s game was no different. Three random observations from this afternoon:

The Grizzlies may very well have the best announcer in the NBA. He has a knack for making everyone’s name sound intimidating. I wonder what he could do for a guy that has a girl’s first name as his last name?

While the audio presentation at FedEx Forum is strong, the visual side is a little shaky. I will just say this: The Suns’ dance team is much better…-looking; I am not really qualified to judge dancing ability.

You must be registered for see images

Reserve forward Paul Shirley filed his second rambling from Memphis.
(NBAE Photos)
I am afraid Memphis may get kicked out of the league. I could be mistaken, but I think they started three white guys— three American white guys at that. I am pretty sure there is a rule against that somewhere—some kind of quota, I think. Maybe I am wrong. I guess we will find out soon, when they have to bring back the Cincinnati Royals to fill the void the Grizzlies leave behind.

As I watched our game today, I realized that I was observing a Good vs. Evil match-up of sorts. I grew up watching the Boston Celtics and Larry Bird. (Not surprising, given the fact that my first basketball experiences came while honing my skills on a gravel driveway in rural Kansas.) When my father and I could watch an NBA game, we would watch the Celtics. Without knowing why, I loved the way Bird and his teammates played the game. At the time, I only knew that they were fun to watch. Now I understand why I was drawn to them. The Celtics, along with other teams of the era, played the game the right way. They played with reckless abandon, not caring whether they looked cool doing it. Unfortunately, that style of play quickly faded.

We are something of a test-case for a return to the 1980’s-Celtics-and-Lakers style of basketball. A test case because no one knows if that kind of game can still be played or, more importantly, succeed. At some point after the Bird-Johnson era, something changed in NBA basketball. Whatever it was alienated most of the people I know. No one in Kansas watches professional basketball. They first grew disillusioned with the me-first, style-before-substance attitude, but that was not really the reason they stopped watching. They stopped watching because the game itself was no fun. Coaches had tightened their grip, and basketball had become a slugfest. The emphasis switched to defense as the powers-that-be realized that anyone, no matter how limited in ability, could win if they stopped the other team from scoring. Consequently, players were taught that it was more important to learn how to play defense than to learn how to shoot a basketball. By the late 1990’s I, and most everyone I know, could hardly sit through an entire NBA game.

Which brings us back to today’s game. The Grizzlies are a fine basketball team, to be sure. But, they are limited. They do not have the offensive firepower that we do. They rely on making the game ugly with the hopes that they can pull it out at the end. We have players who are multidimensional. Nearly everyone on the court is a threat at any given time—which is how it should be. I think every one of our games should be televised nationally, if only so people can see how much fun the game can be when we play it. Basketball is not meant to be like football. It is a game of reaction, not planning. It is not supposed to look like two guys slogging it out in the lane while eight stand around watching. We are what it is supposed to look like—players moving, sharing the ball, shooting when they are open and, most importantly, playing together. It has taken some time for this brand to re-emerge (call it the Nowitzki-Stojakovic Effect), but when it does, and the game takes this form, it is fun to watch.

Because I had a three-month break from the Suns, I have a unique perspective from which to analyze. I was very excited about this team after training camp. Even after I was kicked to the curb, I was rooting for my former teammates to succeed, because I loved that I had been a part of such an explosive, high-powered team that seemed to be truly excited about playing the game together. Two months into my second stint of the season, I see much of the same. However, I also see a team going through the same struggles as any team that is new to success, especially one with such young personnel. I see players who might be starting to believe what they read about themselves and who are beginning to become convinced of their own importance. It is a little scary because I have high hopes for this team and want to see it succeed. (And, really, what is more important than making me happy?) It is no secret that we are not playing our best basketball at the moment. Because we are getting close to the end of the regular season, I believe that this puts us at a crossroads of sorts. I do not want our team to go in the more negative of the two possible directions as the season winds down. Fortunately, we have some smart people at the helm, and I think they have an eye on the road ahead. Plus, things are looking up—Good triumphed over Evil today, 97-91.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What a great piece! My opinion of Shirley has gone from uninterested to off the scale! :D

frdbtr

Registered
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
What a great piece! My opinion of Shirley has gone from uninterested to off the scale! :D

I agree, he sounds educated and thoughtfull, but more importantly, he is funny. :)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He may not make it in the NBA, but ESPN should make him their first pick as a writer. He is light years ahead of most of their people.

fordronken

Reaction score
Can you be a reporter and an NBA player at the same time? That would be amazing. I'd purchase insider for that.*

* And by "purchase", I mean read sunsfn's postings.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Quagmire said:
Posted by Paul Shirley: March 20, 2005, 9:30 p.m.

I see players who might be starting to believe what they read about themselves and who are beginning to become convinced of their own importance.

I have very little doubt that what he is saying is true but I wonder how it is going to play in the locker room.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Azlen said:
I have very little doubt that what he is saying is true but I wonder how it is going to play in the locker room.

I wouldn't worry. I have no doubt that can happen, and does, but the leaders on the team (Nash and Q specifically) I don't think will allow it to be a problem.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I read this article and thought it was great, then read all of the comments here and read it again. It really is well written with knowledge of the game, and with some humor. I am looking forward to reading all of his articles.

I agree with fordronken, that he writes better than most of the articles on ESPN!

:thumbup:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
how come shirley's allowed to make a "white players" comment and no one this board is allowed to without facing the wrath of "you're a racist"???

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I wonder how Shirley fits in with the rest of the guys, he totally reminds me of many of my nerdy but hilarious friends. What a cool guy. Plus he is a midwest guy, which you can totally tell from his radio interviews, not only from the way he talks, but his affect. Good stuff.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He gets extra points for looking a little like Alvan Adams. Good job, fun stuff.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
I really enjoyed his comments. Especially about the late 90s basketball being unwatchable. Since he plays so little maybe he could do color commentary with Al McCoy. He will probably be better than Suns "legend" Tim Kempton

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
how come shirley's allowed to make a "white players" comment and no one this board is allowed to without facing the wrath of "you're a racist"???

#1 He was talking about himself,
#2 he was obviously poking fun at his own self.
Can you really be racist by calling your self a white Guy?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn