Pat Kirwin former GM: Teams love Kyle Lauletta

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Assuming we don't all expire in nuclear war, one day it'll happen.

It doesn't change the fact that you don't have to be Montana to be considered a good QB. Kurt Warner didn't have the world's strongest arm, but is still a Hall of Fame QB.

All I'm saying is that it's ridiculous to say we have these quarterbacks' careers decided before they've even thrown the football.

Hey Solar we are all fans and what is fan short for? I would be happy if Cards took any of the top 5 QBs (although i am not a Mayfield fan and have my doubts on him and the NFL) because that would mean Keim and Wilks think they can improve the team and build a winner with whichever QB they drafted in RD 1.Realistically i don`t expect Cards to draft a Qb before Middle rounds at the earliest if at all.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Hey Solar we are all fans and what is fan short for? I would be happy if Cards took any of the top 5 QBs (although i am not a Mayfield fan and have my doubts on him and the NFL) because that would mean Keim and Wilks think they can improve the team and build a winner with whichever QB they drafted in RD 1.Realistically i don`t expect Cards to draft a Qb before Middle rounds at the earliest if at all.
I expect us to go QB in round 2. I have a feeling it will be Lauletta.

I know you're a huge Lamar Jackson fan, and I'd like to take him at 15, but I don't think we will.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I expect us to go QB in round 2. I have a feeling it will be Lauletta.

I know you're a huge Lamar Jackson fan, and I'd like to take him at 15, but I don't think we will.

I agree.I think Cards go for someone who can come in and be a early starter or big contrbutor. Cornerback,Offensive Tackle,Defensive line, are the 3 main Round 1 areas IMHO.You can find solid WRs ,LB,TE ,DLine depth all after RD 1.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
LOL.So by your reasoning Lauletta can be as good as Montana?I think you drank too much texas cactus juice.

No, you are jumping to conclusions to accent a hyper reaction. I said his arm is as strong as Montana and Montana's arm strength did not hamper him... do not take it out of context :)

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
No, you are jumping to conclusions to accent a hyper reaction... I said his arm is as strong as Montana and Montana's arm strength did not hamper him :)

Yeah that Montana guy did pretty good didn`t he.Now here is some interesting info for you -I have a 1979 NFL preseason guidebook paperback and the Qbs for SF are Scott Bull,Steve DeBerg,Mike Cordova,Gary Foystek and Joe Montana.Montana was going into his rookie year.Montana was their 3rd RD pick.James Owens WR was their 2nd Round Guy.Their 10th RD guy was Dwight Clark who was just another late round pick.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Yeah that Montana guy did pretty good didn`t he.Now here is some interesting info for you -I have a 1979 NFL preseason guidebook paperback and the Qbs for SF are Scott Bull,Steve DeBerg,Mike Cordova,Gary Foystek and Joe Montana.Montana was going into his rookie year.Montana was their 3rd RD pick.James Owens WR was their 2nd Round Guy.Their 10th RD guy was Dwight Clark who was just another late round pick.

Yeah, meaning Lauletta should not have any problems with his arm strength which was clearly what I was stating. Now to me Jackson has above average arm strength. You see, I would be estatic if the Cards selected Jackson at fifteen. I would be happy with Lauletta as a day two selection... I have nothing to do with Allen, and would take Rudolph over him any day

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Assuming we don't all expire in nuclear war, one day it'll happen.

It doesn't change the fact that you don't have to be Montana to be considered a good QB. Kurt Warner didn't have the world's strongest arm, but is still a Hall of Fame QB.

All I'm saying is that it's ridiculous to say we have these quarterbacks' careers decided before they've even thrown the football.

What they did have was an uncanny ability to read defenses. That helped them overcome their deficiencies.

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think Lauletta is anywhere near ready right now. He'll need 2 years to develop, however, I do think he will be the most successful QB in this draft, leaps and bounds.

I think you have been out in the sun way too much!

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

What is it that you see in Jackson that make you want to use a first round pick on him, Solar?

Personally, I really think he has a shot at being a good return man.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is it that you see in Jackson that make you want to use a first round pick on him, Solar?

I m going to save this post...

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I m going to save this post...

No problem. By the way, I am not saying he will be drafted as a return man. I am saying I think he will end up as one.

As I have written in another thread, I do think some organization will select him early because they see a good business in him. They want to get people in the stadium, get publicity and all that stuff that comes with selecting a college phenomenon like Jackson. Exactly as we have seen with Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel.

Reaction score
This is so wrong. It's not even close IMO. LJ can spin it with anyone not named Josh Allen in this draft. If he was just throwing for velocity. He would just chuck it, but his method of release is not ideal for measuring just how hard he can throw. Again JMHO.

So are you saying their measurements are wrong? By the chart he obviously tested the lowest.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
So are you saying their measurements are wrong? By the chart he obviously tested the lowest.
Try the eyeball test instead of the "underwear olympics".If you can`t see see that Jackson has a big arm then you are blind or crazy.But since you are a smallbears fan also that just proves my theory.:)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I don't pretend to have seen every game, and I don't pretend to be as dialed in to college football as I once was. But the eye test is hard to fail on a guy like Lamar Jackson, whose speed and general football talent are just very apparent.

Am I insistent he's going to be the next greatest QB in the NFL? No, but his potential is sky high. If you have trust in his character (and I see no one that doesn't), and think you can educate him on the nuances of your system, you pick him and let your coaching staff get to work. Would it really surprise anyone if five years from now, he was the best QB of the top 5?

I'll be honest - some of this is urgency. Next year's QB class doesn't look to be all that good, since so many guys came out early. In 2019 I'd rather have Lamar Jackson with one year of experience under his belt vs. a QB no one is excited about at the top of the draft.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the first time arizona use some smoke screen, cause the apparently lack of interest toward Jackson looks strange to me
Jurecky is like about a broken record regarding Jackson considering him at best a late first/second round pick

I think Jackson is an option at 15, if he isnt drafted earlier

I do think Arizona wont draft a receiver or defensive lineman with the first pick

A defensive back could be chosen in round 2 or 3, and reading the prospects visit tracker he should be a guy over 6 feet

Trumaine Edmunds
VanderEsch
Jackson
Lauletta
Connor Williams

I think among one of them there will be our pick

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't pretend to have seen every game, and I don't pretend to be as dialed in to college football as I once was. But the eye test is hard to fail on a guy like Lamar Jackson, whose speed and general football talent are just very apparent.

Am I insistent he's going to be the next greatest QB in the NFL? No, but his potential is sky high. If you have trust in his character (and I see no one that doesn't), and think you can educate him on the nuances of your system, you pick him and let your coaching staff get to work. Would it really surprise anyone if five years from now, he was the best QB of the top 5?

I'll be honest - some of this is urgency. Next year's QB class doesn't look to be all that good, since so many guys came out early. In 2019 I'd rather have Lamar Jackson with one year of experience under his belt vs. a QB no one is excited about at the top of the draft.

It wasn’t meant as a critique at all. I hope you didn’t take it that way.

I will say, though, that I would be shocked if Jackson ended up as the best quarterback from this draft.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It wasn’t meant as a critique at all. I hope you didn’t take it that way.

I will say, though, that I would be shocked if Jackson ended up as the best quarterback from this draft.
Nope, all good!

I think we all want a QB high, and the only guy I'll be very disappointed in choosing in the top two rounds is Josh Allen. The rest will at least inspire some hope and curiosity in me.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I will say this, a guy like Lamar Jackson is the biggest nightmare a stacked defense like the Rams can face. All there prowess for rushing the passer then acts against them because they cannot play reckless and have to always be discipline. Jackson does not suck as a passer and I do not think the guy is stupid regardless of the Wonderlic score. The young man is humble and can be coached. Yes, a defense like the Rams can do a lot of bodily harm to him if he rushes but with the new rules protecting players and making it a task to tackle 'correctly', a guy like Jackson can feast. I am all for drafting him as a mobile quarterback... a very dynamic one :)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BW, are you a Louisville fan?

What can you tell me about the Tom Jurich departure?
Just kinda curious because he went there from NAU, I think.

He went from NAU to Colorado State to Louisville.

Fun Fact - he was an assistant AD when I was the student rep on the athletics committee at NAU. He didn't like the AD's instance that all athletes be well rounded and support other student organizations (like band, theater, etc) nor did he like the AD's outreach programs (we played a football game on the Navajo Reservation, did a basketball clinic on the Hopi Reservation (and had Reggie Jackson as a featured guest), took the women's volleyball team to Nogales, Sonora for an exhibition against a women's team from Mexico), etc.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nope, all good!

I think we all want a QB high, and the only guy I'll be very disappointed in choosing in the top two rounds is Josh Allen. The rest will at least inspire some hope and curiosity in me.

Well, I do believe in Josh Allen, but other than that I can understand your thoughts. I am just trying to figure out what I don’t see regarding Lamar Jackson, and I think it’s interesting that you mention his mental makeup in the previous thread as the reason to believe in him. I haven’t seen anyone do that as most of his fans highlights his physical abilities. I think his playing style and accuracy problems will catch up to him no matter what, and I don’t believe a first round pick will get that long leash while he learns, but your thinking is both interesting and fascinating.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I do believe in Josh Allen, but other than that I can understand your thoughts. I am just trying to figure out what I don’t see regarding Lamar Jackson, and I think it’s interesting that you mention his mental makeup in the previous thread as the reason to believe in him. I haven’t seen anyone do that as most of his fans highlights his physical abilities. I think his playing style and accuracy problems will catch up to him no matter what, and I don’t believe a first round pick will get that long leash while he learns, but your thinking is both interesting and fascinating.

Gandhi- do you mind if i ask a question or two concerning josh Allen? You mention Lamar Jackson and his accuracy problems and said you think that will catch up with him and then you say you believe in Josh Allen who had worse accuracy issues than Jackson and Allen played against much worse competition.Allen has poor technique and above average athletic ability and has poor field reads.That`s the general opinion from multiple sources.He does have a cannon arm going for him.What i don`t understand or see is why is he considered to be seen by some to be top QB propsect.The only outstanding qualities he has shown are Great arm and being large size.I just don`t see anything that raises him above the pack.
If he somehow ends up in AZ i will root for him as a would for any of the QBs although i think the top 5 and maybe Rudolph all go in Round 1 and the top 5 before #15.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi- do you mind if i ask a question or two concerning josh Allen? You mention Lamar Jackson and his accuracy problems and said you think that will catch up with him and then you say you believe in Josh Allen who had worse accuracy issues than Jackson and Allen played against much worse competition.Allen has poor technique and above average athletic ability and has poor field reads.That`s the general opinion from multiple sources.He does have a cannon arm going for him.What i don`t understand or see is why is he considered to be seen by some to be top QB propsect.The only outstanding qualities he has shown are Great arm and being large size.I just don`t see anything that raises him above the pack.

No, not at all. Ask away.

I understand your wondering.

No, what you mention are not the only outstanding qualities he has shown. Far from it. To me, his arm strength and size are rather far down the list of his qualities both as a draft prospect and as a pro player. I hope it is okay that I copy the text from my mock draft where I choose Allen. You can read it by clicking here.

"I really like Josh Allen. As Steve Keim has said multiple times, more often than not they are right about the player but wrong about the person, and from the sparse material I have access to, I think Allen has the right mental makeup. At times he seems like this calm, happy and fun guy that most people like, and then he also has the other side where he has this drive to win and get better and where he is dedicated and focused on his task. He also has the mentality that you have to work hard to accomplish your goals, and he has a chip on his shoulder because every major college program turned him down coming out of high school. I believe that he can be the face of a franchise, I believe even veteran players will follow him and play hard for him, and I believe he will be focused and have the work ethic to be a good quarterback. Another thing I put huge stock into is how he changed the culture at Wyoming. He turned that program around and created a winning culture, and I think that says a lot about him.

We can all see that he has issues. Really, it only takes a look at his completion percentage, and if you watch the games you will find other issues as well. He doesn’t always make good decisions, and he doesn’t always throw the ball where his wide receivers can get it. Though, I cannot write about those things without mentioning his poor conditions with bad wide receivers, bad runningbacks and a bad offensive line since their best offensive players went to the NFL after last season. It might not have a direct affect on his numbers, but it’s easy to see it when watching the games. He had no time to maneuver around in the pocket and find targets to throw to. He couldn’t get any yards by handing the ball to his runningbacks. His wide receivers did not get open. I am exaggerating but you get the point.

Another thing I really like about him is how he has played in a pro style-offense both his years as a starter under head coach Craig Bohl. That includes calling the plays in a huddle, calling protection schemes, blocking schemes and stuff like that at the line of scrimmage, and even taking the snap from under center and dropping back is not something college-quarterbacks usually does nowadays. Carson Wentz played in the same system in college, and he has confirmed how much easier it made it for him to adapt to the NFL.

I will admit that Josh Rosen is my preferred first round pick, but if Sam Bradford can play an entire season so Josh Allen could sit and learn for a year, I believe this could potentially be a homerun pick, and definitely worth the second rounder I gave up."

What I have written about Allen is the reason I think it’s fascinating what Solar brings op about Jackson’s mental makeup. I don’t think he can overcome what I consider to be his biggest weaknesses, and that’s why I have him ranked rather low, but it’s certainly not impossible either.

If he somehow ends up in AZ i will root for him as a would for any of the QBs although i think the top 5 and maybe Rudolph all go in Round 1 and the top 5 before #15.

I certainly feel the same way about Jackson. If he comes to the Cardinals, I will root like crazy for him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Hopefully we don't make too much of Jackson's "mental makeup" from my post - I'm merely stating that he has stayed out of trouble and doesn't say anything overly offensive in press conferences that makes you concerned about his overall character.

I share some of your concerns about his playing style, but as I read more, I look at his accuracy issues as perhaps a bit of a product of poor talent at the positions he's throwing to. He's certainly dynamic with the ball in his hands. Will he be Vick 2.0? Maybe. Am I okay with that? Maybe.

Considering our options, the sky high potential is alluring enough to me to spend a 1st round pick on over say, Calvin Ridley, who I think will be solid but unspectacular.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard