1 Q Season Review

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He is paid as the 6th best in the NFL.

Over the course of his career...his is absolutely one of the 8 worst. A first round pick who has played in 47/84 games...(56%)....and is consistently ranked in the bottom tier of LT's.

Analytics say he was worth about 9.5 million on the open market....we paid him 15. Next year he has a cap hit of 19.9 million!

We drafted a 3rd rounder in Josh Jones, who could have provided the same production...let alone the fact we could have taken a sure fire starter in the 1st round.

DJ is knee deep for a reason. He sucks, and has never lived up to his potential. We have heard all the excuses...."he was always a project....he was a young 1st rounder.....he has been injured....BA doesn't like to play rookies...blah blah blah". Meanwhile, BA has no problem starting Wirfs...who is a rookie...moving from RT to LT....to protect a 44 year old QB...in an offense that requires him to hold the ball in the pocket.

The reality is that DJ is another bust of a pick by Keim. He should have never been drafted where he was, and he has never done anything to earn his current contract. Keim didn't want YET ANOTHER 1st round pick leaving the team (even though DJ would have probably been a backup somewhere else). Keim doesn't trust his own drafting, and so keeping and massively overpaying Humphries seemed like a better deal than going with the "unknown".....even though it was not. This is yet another reason why Keim should probably be fired.

He will go all in on KK and KM...make trades...bring in FA's....but he couldn't find someone better than Knee Deep??

Look how much money Keim has paid to DJ Humphries and Marcus Gilbert over the last couple of years. Its literally flushing money down a toilet. We bring in Beachum on a minimal deal and he's the best OT we have.
There is a world of difference between Tristan Wirfs and Josh Jones.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He is paid as the 6th best in the NFL.

Over the course of his career...his is absolutely one of the 8 worst. A first round pick who has played in 47/84 games...(56%)....and is consistently ranked in the bottom tier of LT's.

Analytics say he was worth about 9.5 million on the open market....we paid him 15. Next year he has a cap hit of 19.9 million!

We drafted a 3rd rounder in Josh Jones, who could have provided the same production...let alone the fact we could have taken a sure fire starter in the 1st round.

DJ is knee deep for a reason. He sucks, and has never lived up to his potential. We have heard all the excuses...."he was always a project....he was a young 1st rounder.....he has been injured....BA doesn't like to play rookies...blah blah blah". Meanwhile, BA has no problem starting Wirfs...who is a rookie...moving from RT to LT....to protect a 44 year old QB...in an offense that requires him to hold the ball in the pocket.

The reality is that DJ is another bust of a pick by Keim. He should have never been drafted where he was, and he has never done anything to earn his current contract. Keim didn't want YET ANOTHER 1st round pick leaving the team (even though DJ would have probably been a backup somewhere else). Keim doesn't trust his own drafting, and so keeping and massively overpaying Humphries seemed like a better deal than going with the "unknown".....even though it was not. This is yet another reason why Keim should probably be fired.

He will go all in on KK and KM...make trades...bring in FA's....but he couldn't find someone better than Knee Deep??

Look how much money Keim has paid to DJ Humphries and Marcus Gilbert over the last couple of years. Its literally flushing money down a toilet. We bring in Beachum on a minimal deal and he's the best OT we have.
Regarding the money...Humphries's contract is in the same realm as Donavan Smith, Dion Dawkins, and Taylor Decker. There isn't a significant difference between those players.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This really bugs the hell out of me. Like, why the hell did Kliff all of sudden go away from motion? I don’t understand that at all.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How could he be worse? DJ is rated as one of the worst OT's in the league.

Jones started 45 games at LT in college and graded out well. It's an unknown of course, but I just can't imagine he would be that much worse than DK...if not better.

But I also think we could put a parking cone at LT and it would be about as good as Humphries.

By whose ratings is he one of the worst? The only stats that matter are sacks given up and penalties against. He's given up 4 sacks in the last 20 games. As I stated previously in this thread, his sack allowed against Washington was K1 sliding after being flushed because Sweezy was beat by a blitzing linebacker. Kyler has been sacked 55 times in that span. So far this season, he has 1 false start. His biggest knock was eligibility and he hasn’t missed a game the last two years.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By whose ratings is he one of the worst? The only stats that matter are sacks given up and penalties against. He's given up 4 sacks in the last 20 games. As I stated previously in this thread, his sack allowed against Washington was K1 sliding after being flushed because Sweezy was beat by a blitzing linebacker. Kyler has been sacked 55 times in that span. So far this season, he has 1 false start. His biggest knock was eligibility and he hasn’t missed a game the last two years.

Sacks aint it, especially when you have a mobile QB. Pressures are a much better measure.

He got Kyler hit as he threw which caused an under thrown pass that Kirk had to stop being intercepted. He got Kyler sacked and caused a fumble on a crucial drive losing by 14. And this is just on Sunday.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sacks aint it, especially when you have a mobile QB. Pressures are a much better measure.

He got Kyler hit as he threw which caused an under thrown pass that Kirk had to stop being intercepted. He got Kyler sacked and caused a fumble on a crucial drive losing by 14. And this is just on Sunday.

That’s 2 of 55 plays. What did he do the other 53 plays? Donavan Smith last night had a terrible game going against the bears. He’s given up the same number of sacks and has 4 more penalties than DJ. He’s similar to what DJ is getting paid. DJ isn’t elite, but he’s not bottom of the barrel like some say. Why do pressures matter? If a QB holds the ball for 4 seconds and finally gets pressured, did the Oline not do their job? 1 penalty and 2 sacks playing the toughest position on the offensive line with zero help through 4 games. I don’t know the number of pressures given up because the only website that I can find that carries that stat is PFF and I’m not a member.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s 2 of 55 plays. What did he do the other 53 plays? Donavan Smith last night had a terrible game going against the bears. He’s given up the same number of sacks and has 4 more penalties than DJ. He’s similar to what DJ is getting paid. DJ isn’t elite, but he’s not bottom of the barrel like some say. Why do pressures matter? If a QB holds the ball for 4 seconds and finally gets pressured, did the Oline not do their job? 1 penalty and 2 sacks playing the toughest position on the offensive line with zero help through 4 games. I don’t know the number of pressures given up because the only website that I can find that carries that stat is PFF and I’m not a member.

Why do pressures matter? When do we hold the ball for 4 seconds? It's possible for a LT to only have 2 sacks instead of 10 because they have a super mobile hard to catch QB who's good at evading them. That's why pressures matter.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why do pressures matter? When do we hold the ball for 4 seconds? It's possible for a LT to only have 2 sacks instead of 10 because they have a super mobile hard to catch QB who's good at evading them. That's why pressures matter.
You mean our super mobile QB that was sacked 48 times last season and only 2 were allowed by our LT? My point is it gives up a pressure, but is able to hold his man for over 4 seconds, then he did his job. Sacks negatively effect the team by down and distance. A pressure could mean our QB held the ball til the last second and delivered a 50 yard dime to Isabella for a TD.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose