Pat Kirwin former GM: Teams love Kyle Lauletta

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was listening to the NFL station on Sirius radio and former NFL GM Pat Kirwin said he was aware of teams that absolutely love Richmond QB Kyle Lauletta. He said one team who didn’t want to be identified knew from their 15 minute Combine interview that Lauletta was their guy.

Could that team be the Cardinals? Coach Wilks has said that his QB has to be a leader of men. Kyle Lauletta chose Richmond University partly because they have a super rigorous academic program on Leadership. It’s one of the most unique programs that studies leadership from multiple academic disciplines.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Problem is that he will be a reach at #15 but may be gone by time Cards pick in 2nd round.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I was listening to the NFL station on Sirius radio and former NFL GM Pat Kirwin said he was aware of teams that absolutely love Richmond QB Kyle Lauletta. He said one team who didn’t want to be identified knew from their 15 minute Combine interview that Lauletta was their guy.

Could that team be the Cardinals? Coach Wilks has said that his QB has to be a leader of men. Kyle Lauletta chose Richmond University partly because they have a super rigorous academic program on Leadership. It’s one of the most unique programs that studies leadership from multiple academic disciplines.
Well, Kirwin used to work for the Cards, so I'm sure he still has inside connections.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Problem is that he will be a reach at #15 but may be gone by time Cards pick in 2nd round.
he is also a serious reach at 47..... he might be a decent pick with our third round compensatory pick and even then,...only because so many teams seam to love the kid.... other wise he is a late fourth round QB

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he is also a serious reach at 47..... he might be a decent pick with our third round compensatory pick and even then,...only because so many teams seam to love the kid.... other wise he is a late fourth round QB

Agree, but there are too many teams that want a qb and may be willing to grab him before we pick in round 2. But who knows. :shrug:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Agree, but there are too many teams that want a qb and may be willing to grab him before we pick in round 2. But who knows. :shrug:
lol.... let them.... just means there will be better players on the board when we pick.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
There's no way I take him in the first round. Third round is where I see him going. If Wilks and Keim really think he can be our QBOTF then take him in the second. That's as high as I can see him going.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
lol.... let them.... just means there will be better players on the board when we pick.
Just poking fun, but for someone who wants to do whatever it takes to move into the top 5, you're awfully lax about getting a guy later.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The difference between a possibly QBOF and a project is massive.
I guess my issue is that this is being touted as a deep draft, and I question your definition of a "project." I think most of the QBs are going to need a year or three to come on and really produce. All of them have a ton of talent, but they all have warts.

For as much as I like Darnold, the kid isn't even old enough to drink yet, much less lead a huddle of men nearly into their 30s. Allen's got accuracy issues and didn't play against elite talent, Mayfield has maturity concerns. There's doubts about Rosen that I don't really understand, but doubts nonetheless.

I don't see Rudolph or Jackson as say, Logan Thomas-esque projects. If teams are falling in love with Lauletta, I don't see it being a reach in the 2nd. That's just about where everyone has him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I guess my issue is that this is being touted as a deep draft, and I question your definition of a "project." I think most of the QBs are going to need a year or three to come on and really produce. All of them have a ton of talent, but they all have warts.

For as much as I like Darnold, the kid isn't even old enough to drink yet, much less lead a huddle of men nearly into their 30s. Allen's got accuracy issues and didn't play against elite talent, Mayfield has maturity concerns. There's doubts about Rosen that I don't really understand, but doubts nonetheless.

I don't see Rudolph or Jackson as say, Logan Thomas-esque projects. If teams are falling in love with Lauletta, I don't see it being a reach in the 2nd. That's just about where everyone has him.

who exactly is "just about everyone"??.... Because everyone I have seen still has him as a fourth rounder...possibly very early fourth... which is up from a fifth to sixth rounder that he was a couple months ago.....rumor got out that Billichek likes him and suddenly some low tier guys are mocking him in the late second which is a fools pick.

you may not see it. But Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield...possibly even Allen...can all come in and start games for a team in 2018.... even Jackson may be able to... The first three may even post a winning record for their starts. Taking a couple years to "develop" guys like that means they adjust to the pro game, completions get higher, INT's get lower...and they learn the entire playbook instead of only half.

Developing guys like Faulk, White, or Lauletta means they sit the pine for a couple seasons as the game slows for them in practice and the strength and conditioning team gets them in position to accurately throw 20 yard outs consistently, they learn more about progressions, reading NFL defenses, etc... then they get to come in a real game and start off where guys like Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen are in year one.

There is a huge difference between a consensus first round pick and a fourth round guy.... barring of course the occasional exceptions. The only reason anyone is talking about Lauletta before the fourth is because, "oh my god the Patriots like him!!"....

The kid has potential... but in the first three rounds we can get players who will contribute to the team this season and continue to do so for years. Makes no sense to waste a pick on a guy who will not see the field and may not even develop into a decent backup.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
who exactly is "just about everyone"??.... Because everyone I have seen still has him as a fourth rounder...possibly very early fourth... which is up from a fifth to sixth rounder that he was a couple months ago.....rumor got out that Billichek likes him and suddenly some low tier guys are mocking him in the late second which is a fools pick.

you may not see it. But Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield...possibly even Allen...can all come in and start games for a team in 2018.... even Jackson may be able to... The first three may even post a winning record for their starts. Taking a couple years to "develop" guys like that means they adjust to the pro game, completions get higher, INT's get lower...and they learn the entire playbook instead of only half.

Developing guys like Faulk, White, or Lauletta means they sit the pine for a couple seasons as the game slows for them in practice and the strength and conditioning team gets them in position to accurately throw 20 yard outs consistently, they learn more about progressions, reading NFL defenses, etc... then they get to come in a real game and start off where guys like Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen are in year one.

There is a huge difference between a consensus first round pick and a fourth round guy.... barring of course the occasional exceptions. The only reason anyone is talking about Lauletta before the fourth is because, "oh my god the Patriots like him!!"....

The kid has potential... but in the first three rounds we can get players who will contribute to the team this season and continue to do so for years. Makes no sense to waste a pick on a guy who will not see the field and may not even develop into a decent backup.
I listen to a lot of NFL Radio and read a fair amount of stuff - Lauletta has been one of the biggest risers in draft stock thus far. Reports are coming out putting him high up there. I'll agree that initially, he was a 3rd day pick, but it seems to be changing.

I can tell you this much from my perspective - Lauletta is just about the last QB I'll come out of the draft happy that we made an effort for if we get him. My list (not in order) is Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, Rudolph, Falk, Lauletta. If we don't end up with one of those, I don't really care what we do on day 3 at the position, because we'll be trying again next year.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I listen to a lot of NFL Radio and read a fair amount of stuff - Lauletta has been one of the biggest risers in draft stock thus far. Reports are coming out putting him high up there. I'll agree that initially, he was a 3rd day pick, but it seems to be changing.

I can tell you this much from my perspective - Lauletta is just about the last QB I'll come out of the draft happy that we made an effort for if we get him. My list (not in order) is Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, Rudolph, Falk, Lauletta. If we don't end up with one of those, I don't really care what we do on day 3 at the position, because we'll be trying again next year.

for me its the top four pretty much...maybe five... if we dont get one of them then spend the picks on guys who will play.... pretty soon we will have a new GM and he will draft us a franchise QB.... right now the two guys we picked up off waivers will do us just as much good as any QB outside the top five in the draft. They are both equal prospects to White or Lauletta and we got them without spending draft picks.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
for me its the top four pretty much...maybe five... if we dont get one of them then spend the picks on guys who will play.... pretty soon we will have a new GM and he will draft us a franchise QB.... right now the two guys we picked up off waivers will do us just as much good as any QB outside the top five in the draft. They are both equal prospects to White or Lauletta and we got them without spending draft picks.
That's taking it over the top. Way over the top.

Wanna do some kind of a bet? Three years down the line, one of these guys outside of the "top 5" is going to better than at least one QB in the top 5?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That's taking it over the top. Way over the top.

Wanna do some kind of a bet? Three years down the line, one of these guys outside of the "top 5" is going to better than at least one QB in the top 5?

one of them probably will. simply because of who drafts them...one or two of the top guys will bust out because too much was thrown on them at once...and some nobody will sit for a couple years behind, say... Drew Brees and get to learn the game well before he is asked to play.

even say,...Mason Rudolph...(TIED 5th, lol)... if he were drafted by Pittsburgh and learned behind Ben for a few years... he could do well... I really feel bad for Sam... kinda hope somebody jumps in there and saves the kid from Cleveland... good chance whoever goes there is gonna bust..or at least have to re-rookie in a few years when they get a shot with another team.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I thought that was very interesting to read, Holian. I didn’t know it, and it made me want to do some more research on Lauletta than I had already done.

By the way, Lauletta majored in the program you are referring to.

Both his dad and uncle played at Navy which you can only do if you are a member of the Navy Academy, so Lauletta grew up in a military family but according to himself he wasn’t raised with a very strict military discipline. He obviously knows some qualities from the Navy Academy, though.

The program that you refers to combines the science and knowledge about anthropology, economics, history, literature, philosophy, politics, psychology and religion to answer fundamental questions like who we are, how we live together and how we influence the course of history. I would say that if you understand that, then you are well qualified to understand the nuances of personalities and behavior in a NFL locker room. Also, the program attracts strong personalities with hopes of becoming leaders in various forms, so to succeed you must find a way to cooperate with big egos so the unit functions well together. Another trait a NFL quarterback has to master.

When Steve Wilks was introduced, Michael Bidwill used the phrase emotional intelligence to describe Wilks and one of the reasons they picked him. Some years ago, I studied emotional intelligence briefly, and though there is more things to it, it is pretty much the gist that you can identify, deal with and act according to your own and other’s emotions. As a major in that leadership program, Kyle Lauletta has to be really clever within emotional intelligence.

I obviously has no idea if the Cardinals plans to select Lauletta, and I don't even know if I would like them to, but I can say that in the last couple of hours I have become a lot more fascinated with him.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The pats are drafting him either with their 2nd 1st round pick or their 1st second round pick. He is the only guy the people in the know are talking about around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obviously many of us are deceived by the so called "experts" and their draft boards
Lauletta had a good college career in a weaker conference, probably facing a similiar level of competion of josh Allen, and his numbers are far better
He is a guy who can read exremely well the plays, has good touch, has quick feet and can scramble too, doesnt possess the cannon arm who many are so enarmored....
If u find your qb of the future u have to get him as soon as u can, is not about hypothetical rankings made by someone who isnt employed by a football team

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a better QB than Jackson, Rudolph, and any other QB outside the Big 4 (and if he had gone to a FBS school, he'd likely be in that top 4)

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
NFL.COM says Lauleta lacksNFl arm.Can`t make all the throws.So fans would be happy with DINK and DUNK passing game?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NFL.COM says Lauleta lacksNFl arm.Can`t make all the throws.So fans would be happy with DINK and DUNK passing game?

His arm looks good enough to me in the vids of him. You don't have to have a great arm to be successful, especially in a west coast type system.

The patriots passing game is dink and dunk, and it is pretty much the best offense in the league.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see the Ravens drafting him in the 2nd round to groom as a Flacco Replacement.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Dink and Dunk won Brady 2 super bowls and Eagles another in the recent 5 year history

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose