Quarterback ball velocity

Reaction score
Mayfield is one of the top 2 with only Allen being better & Lauletta is stronger than Jackson. People were questioning Lauletta's arm strength. Looks like it isn't that bad at all.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Everybody threw better and harder than Jackson at the combine. A couple of his deep balls were under thrown fluttering ducks.

I'd venture that bulking up to address concerns over his physical frame took some life out of his arm.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Everybody threw better and harder than Jackson at the combine. A couple of his deep balls were under thrown fluttering ducks.

I'd venture that bulking up to address concerns over his physical frame took some life out of his arm.

Think it is LJ's throwing mechanics and not necessarily his arm strength. He likes to flick the ball like he's throwing darts at guys running between the numbers. On his flutter balls, he is stiff legged off the front leg causing the ball to go high---he's not using the torque he could generate by getting his legs/torso into the throw.

Those mechanics may work for a West Coast offense but will dramatically limit what he can do at the pro-level against the superior athletes playing D.

It's really tough to retrain those mechanics especially for someone who was always the superior player on the field.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Think it is LJ's throwing mechanics and not necessarily his arm strength. He likes to flick the ball like he's throwing darts at guys running between the numbers. On his flutter balls, he is stiff legged off the front leg causing the ball to go high---he's not using the torque he could generate by getting his legs/torso into the throw.

Those mechanics may work for a West Coast offense but will dramatically limit what he can do at the pro-level against the superior athletes playing D.

It's really tough to retrain those mechanics especially for someone who was always the superior player on the field.

FWIW-from what i read from several who where at Jacksons ProDay -he obviously has been working on his mechanics and he was throwing smoother and better than at the combine.So he is working to try and correct his technique issues.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
FWIW-from what i read from several who where at Jacksons ProDay -he obviously has been working on his mechanics and he was throwing smoother and better than at the combine.So he is working to try and correct his technique issues.

He did show a more solid base and release at his pro day. Like me doing the steps at my first junior high formal dance.

He'll have to make the adjustment while under real pressure and at game speed. That's when the old mechanics from years of doing it a certain way sneak back in.

Most recent example was Tebow---the guy went through several teams and multiple QB coaches but could not get the hitch out of his delivery. Look for Darnold to have the same problem---on plays in the pocket, he drops the ball down below his knees before he goes into his throwing motion. That signals DBs where he is going with the ball, also allows the pass rushers to go for the strip/fumble. Check Darnold's turnovers in college---will be worse in the pros.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
That's really tough to judge. A guy like Mayfield may put everything he has into every throw and that's his max. While Allen casually flicks his wrist to make the same throw.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's really tough to judge. A guy like Mayfield may put everything he has into every throw and that's his max. While Allen casually flicks his wrist to make the same throw.
Ball placement, touch, reading how a play develop, quick release..brees has put so many records and probably his ball velocity and arm strenght is below average
Philip Rivers doesn't throw a nice and fast ball but he has been one of the best
Don't know why people still fascinated about those meaningless characteristics

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Check out the ball velocity on this throw:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

No wonder BA tried to make a QB out of Thomas. Too bad he didn't bother to learn the playbook.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Logan thomas 60 Deshaun watson 49.....
Power is nothing without control

Yes. The great QBs are like an artist with a paint brush and have just the right touch for what is needed. Somehow they have the Central Processing Unit between the eyes that calculates field conditions, running speed, distance, angles and the future location of the offensive players and of the defenders. Everything has to be calculated with the selected play on offense and also against what the defensive read tells him the D is going to do. Within the blink of the eye, those calculations gets translated into physical action of not only who to throw to but how much speed and loft and placement to a future location it will take to make the completion. It is an athletic thing of beauty . . . and very few have the complete package.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Mayfield is one of the top 2 with only Allen being better & Lauletta is stronger than Jackson. People were questioning Lauletta's arm strength. Looks like it isn't that bad at all.

In game throws wearing lbs of pads and being under pressure exposes arm strength. Mayfield’s arm strength shows up on tape and Lauletta’s does not. Lamar has a good arm but his mechanics are jacked up. Being in AZ behind two QB’s for a year would be the best place for LJ to rebuild his throwing motion.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Yes. The great QBs are like an artist with a paint brush and have just the right touch for what is needed. Somehow they have the Central Processing Unit between the eyes that calculates field conditions, running speed, distance, angles and the future location of the offensive players and of the defenders. Everything has to be calculated with the selected play on offense and also against what the defensive read tells him the D is going to do. Within the blink of the eye, those calculations gets translated into physical action of not only who to throw to but how much speed and loft and placement to a future location it will take to make the completion. It is an athletic thing of beauty . . . and very few have the complete package.
Or the package surrounding them.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I don't know if velocity = arm strength but if it does, then some of the names and where they place on this list are surprising to me. Austin Davis that high up is one example. But, I would imagine that the conditions were the same for all the QB's so I'm not sure pads and game situations are going to change the numbers. If Lauletta's arm is stronger in shorts, I don't see why it would become weaker with pads? I mean, why would he become more limited with pads on than anyone else?

Reaction score
I was constantly impressed by Kurt Warner as the Cardinals signal caller. He threw some of the ugliest looking throws I ever seen, but they always seemed to go to the perfect spot for the receiver and the receiver only to catch!

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In game throws wearing lbs of pads and being under pressure exposes arm strength. Mayfield’s arm strength shows up on tape and Lauletta’s does not. Lamar has a good arm but his mechanics are jacked up. Being in AZ behind two QB’s for a year would be the best place for LJ to rebuild his throwing motion.

Lamar Jackson sounds like a project. Project QBs should be late 2nd or 3rd rounds, no?

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was constantly impressed by Kurt Warner as the Cardinals signal caller. He threw some of the ugliest looking throws I ever seen, but they always seemed to go to the perfect spot for the receiver and the receiver only to catch!

KW had to relearn how to hold and throw the football. He was injured while with the Rams and lost his starter's spot when Bulgar came in and played well with the rest of the Greatest Show on Turf.

With the Rams, KW had a pretty spiral and quick release. He would walk to the line and know where to go with the ball with a quick glance of the D.

He struggled with the Giants---still had problems gripping the ball. By the time he got to the Cards and started using the glove he regained some of his grip. (Get a close look of Warner's hand if you can) He still had the CPU and quick release and got his wobblers to the WR as you say.

From the KW special 'A Football Life'

KW and the Rams---the complete QB

KW and the Cards

KW and Fitz (the current and the future Card HOFer):

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Warner was never a thrower of pretty spirals. Check out the first clip of the first highlight. Warner, wearing #10 in 1998, throws a strike to the right sideline. But it was a wobbler and that was before any of the injuries or wear and tear from the NFL.

From before '98 'til '09 his passes rarely looked pretty in the air. He had elite timing, accuracy and touch but they usually weren't too pretty getting there. Also, I wouldn't say he re-learned to throw the football. He ultimately chose to wear the gloves because his grip was debilitated from all the hand injuries. That lack of grip causing even more wobbly passes and more importantly an excessive amount of fumbles. But his timing, touch and accuracy were there throughout. If conditions were dry, he wasn't taking hits and he wasn't dinged up, he could still slice up a defense, as evidenced by him winning Player of the Week week 1 of 2006(before the gloves). Same thing in the preseason of '03. Looked like his old self but once the regular season started, whatever was lost with his grip strength caused him to just not be able to hold onto the football.

Fun reel of Warner with the Admirals:

And, just to go back even further, Arena Bowl X from 1996:

Last edited:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Warner was never a thrower of pretty spirals. Check out the first clip of the first highlight. Warner, wearing #10 in 1998, throws a strike to the right sideline. But it was a wobbler and that was before any of the injuries or wear and tear from the NFL.

From before '98 'til '09 his passes rarely looked pretty in the air. He had elite timing, accuracy and touch but they usually weren't too pretty getting there. Also, I wouldn't say he re-learned to throw the football. He ultimately chose to wear the gloves because his grip was debilitated from all the hand injuries. That lack of grip causing even more wobbly passes and more importantly an excessive amount of fumbles. But his timing, touch and accuracy were there throughout. If conditions were dry, he wasn't taking hits and he wasn't dinged up, he could still slice up a defense, as evidenced by him winning Player of the Week week 1 of 2006(before the gloves). Same thing in the preseason of '03. Looked like his old self but once the regular season started, whatever was lost with his grip strength caused him to just not be able to hold onto the football.

Fun reel of Warner with the Admirals:

And, just to go back even further, Arena Bowl X from 1996:

I agree he like Montana had an uncanny ability to read defenses. This more than made up for any arm deficiencies. I mean he knew where to throw it before the ball was snapped. That means they didn't need to arm to get it there because they could release it early.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Molkerman---Are you confusing Kurt Warner with Joe Kapp. They do look alike. LOL.

(First year with the Rams---Warner threw pretty spirals.)

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Molkerman---Are you confusing Kurt Warner with Joe Kapp. They do look alike. LOL.

(First year with the Rams---Warner threw pretty spirals.)
No, Warner wasn't as bad as Kapp but that doesn't mean he threw pretty spirals though. Warner had good arm strength but didn't "spin it" like some guys can. His passes wobbled. Not knuckleballs but not tight spirals either. That's not a knock on Warner as a tight spiral is pretty far down the list of things that are important to a guy's success. Tony Banks probably threw the prettiest looking passes I've ever seen but we all know how little that meant in the grand scheme of things.

Check out the 80 yard TD at the 1:49 mark of this video. I mean, it just doesn't get any "prettier" than that IMO. Tight spiral, rainbow from the gods over the top of the defense. TB just didn't have it between the ears.

Last edited:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Lamar Jackson sounds like a project. Project QBs should be late 2nd or 3rd rounds, no?

using your reasoning then NONE of the QBS should be RD 1.Josh Allen has major accuracy issues His accuracy was lower than ZJacksons and Allen played against poor competition.
Darnold is a turnover machine.
Rosen is a headcase with a attitude problem.
Mayfield is a short QB who had great stats in a crappy conference and has a attitude .
None of these QBs are finished products.NOT ONE.Teams have to decide on potential upside ad projection on each of these guys.I will root for whoever the Cards choose if they do so.I have my preferences.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson