OT-Magic Stepping Down

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know about this but the explanation itself sounds like an obvious cap violation.

That was pre-lockout, the late 90's lockout, and the cap was entirely different then. I'm not saying that was legal but there weren't the restrictions in place like there are now, or have been for the last 2 decades.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The commisioner had to rule on Magic's contract. Like I said, the Celtics, who were battling LA at every step, were pissed! LOL! I believe it was $20 Million over 20 years. You can bet the Celtics were screaming bloody murder, LOL.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know about this but the explanation itself sounds like an obvious cap violation.

The commisioner had to rule on Magic's contract. Like I said, the Celtics, who were battling LA at every step, were pissed! LOL! I believe it was $20 Million over 20 years. You can bet the Celtics were screaming bloody murder, LOL.

Here's info on it, it was signed way back in 1981. Buss signed him to a 25 year $25 million dollar contract that kicked in in 1984 after the contract he was playing on was up. Buss said ''He may even be my coach, or general manager. Or maybe he'll run the team and I'll just sit back and watch. Magic is a bright kid and I plan to make him my protege, teach him the business aspect of sports. I realize this is a very unusual contract because we're talking about a kid whose college class just graduated. But what it comes down to is that Magic is part of the family.''

Source - https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/26/sports/magic-johnson-signs-25-million-contract.html

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Lakers are a mess.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media