OT-Magic Stepping Down

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Quitting as Lakers Pres. Wants to go back to having fun. Probably a good thing for LA.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
amazing. I thought this whole thing was going to be a train wreck when the best the Lakers could do last off-season was get all the inmates from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest to run with LeBron, but never in my wildest dreams could i have imagined it would be this bad/great!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
amazing. I thought this whole thing was going to be a train wreck when the best the Lakers could do last off-season was get all the inmates from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest to run with LeBron, but never in my wildest dreams could i have imagined it would be this bad/great!

I wish Magic had resisted leaving. He's off the charts incompetent.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers making the Suns organization look respectable. I am very much enjoying this.

I wouldn't go that far but they are at least taking the spotlight off of us for a while. And does anyone believe Magic is stepping down so he can enjoy life again? Dollars to donuts he was urged to step down, firing a lifetime Lakers legend looks lousy.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Magic, Bird, Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Jason Kidd -- all smart players on the court, failures in other NBA roles

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Magic, Bird, Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Jason Kidd -- all smart players on the court, failures in other NBA roles

Kidd has had a good career as a coach, Jordan is an NBA owner are they contenders? No but they are a respectable franchise. IT has had success aswell and Bird was nowhere close to a failure

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was Bird a failure?

Not really.

A Hall of Famer with the Boston Celtics, the 60-year-old Bird is the only person to win the MVP, Coach of the Year and Executive of the Year awards.

Two of his big personal awards came from his off the court duties.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's right about now that I miss @donald and his fluffing of everything Lakers...

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lakers making the Suns organization look respectable. I am very much enjoying this.
Yeah but it might not last long if the Lakers somehow pry Jerry West away from the Clippers.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy to see Magic gone.

He needs to stick to owning movie theaters and shares of sports franchises and stay away from hosting talk shows or holding front office positions.

Personally, I wish the Lakers had stuck to their youth movement and not brought in LeBron.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Magic just had a meeting with LeBron than he quits.

My bet is LeBron and his agent are so delusional he said screw this, this will not end well, I am out of here before LeBron’s ego takes me down with him.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Bird was an excellent coach and exec. Thomas also had a good draft record, he really could have used a capologist to keep him in line on FA signings and trades though.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also who with the Lakers gets to use this quote on Magic?

"We want to thank him for what he did for us. But what I needed was a leader."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really thought he was forced out but it's looking like I was wrong.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This fits well here. The Pelicans finished their season tonight against the Warriors and Gentry was asked about Anthony Davis and he said it was most the toxic situation he's witnessed in his 3 decades in the league....

When asked after Tuesday's regular season finale, a 112-103 loss to the Golden State Warriors, if he had ever seen a situation like this during his time in the league, Gentry was quick with an answer.

"Not this toxic, no," Gentry said. "Not that affected two teams. And two guys. One lost his job and the other one resigned from his job. So no, in 31 years I hadn't had anything that would equal this kind of fallout. No, I haven't."

I hadn't thought of how many people were fired because of the Davis ordeal but it very well could still cost Walton and Gentry their jobs as well. It definitely cost Davis a lot in sponsorship deals because he was viewed as one of the high character stars of the league prior to this as well. That's tougher to gauge how it's effected him but it would actually be quite funny if somehow Davis stays in New Orleans and they patch things up this offseason. At this point would anyone be surprised by that? I wouldn't.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-advice-trade-request-led-to-toxic-situation/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really thought he was forced out but it's looking like I was wrong.

Word has it he met with Lebron and Rich Paul this last weekend so there's a chance Lebron made it known he was going to make a power play of some sort and Magic didn't want a part of it or he knew that their direction would cost him so he left before it could do that. This definitely makes this offseason more interesting, IMO. At this point though I think it's clear that Magic wasn't forced out by the Lakers ownership.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word has it he met with Lebron and Rich Paul this last weekend so there's a chance Lebron made it known he was going to make a power play of some sort and Magic didn't want a part of it or he knew that their direction would cost him so he left before it could do that. This definitely makes this offseason more interesting, IMO. At this point though I think it's clear that Magic wasn't forced out by the Lakers ownership.

Yeah, it's looking like there's enough material for at least 2 soap operas.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose