Orange Bowl Thread

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
ASU won their bowl game against Purdue, which was unexpected. The Pac 10 had the second-best bowl record among conferences, and the national champion.

The Pac 10 from top to bottom is weak and overrated. It has been for almost a decade now. ASU beat a struggling Purdue team and that was not a big time upset. The Pac-10 were 2-1 in bowl games b/c they only had 3 teams playing. Look at the ACC or SEC and compare records, strength of schedule, etc.

With or w/o USC the Pac-10 from top-to-bottom is weak!

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
To be fair, OU's performance wasn't nearly as bad as Ashlee Simpson's at Halftime!

I heard this morning that she's claiming there was an equipment malfunction, she couldn't hear the music or herself singing, so she was offkey. Believe me Ashlee, you're LUCKY you couldn't hear yourself. Just go away and let us look at Jessica.

That was unbelievable. I can't believe she'd do that again, unless it was completely out of her control.

Serves the record industry right that they pawn that no talent turd off on the public as a legitimate artist, only to have them boo'd in front of millions. Good Lord that was horrible.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
The Pac 10 from top to bottom is weak and overrated. It has been for almost a decade now. ASU beat a struggling Purdue team and that was not a big time upset. The Pac-10 were 2-1 in bowl games b/c they only had 3 teams playing. Look at the ACC or SEC and compare records, strength of schedule, etc.

C'mon. The two entrants to the Big 12 championship game were Oklahoma and Colorado. Cal is better than Colorado, and I'd bet that they're better than Texas. The ACC and SEC are better than the Pac 10, but the Pac 10 is way better than the Big East, and is probably on par with the Big 12 and Big 10, top to bottom. Arizona's better than Baylor or Kansas or Kansas State, and easily better than Illinois or Indiana.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
C'mon. The two entrants to the Big 12 championship game were Oklahoma and Colorado. Cal is better than Colorado, and I'd bet that they're better than Texas. The ACC and SEC are better than the Pac 10, but the Pac 10 is way better than the Big East, and is probably on par with the Big 12 and Big 10, top to bottom. Arizona's better than Baylor or Kansas or Kansas State, and easily better than Illinois or Indiana.

Everybody is judging Cal on a game they played without 2 of their key players and a 3rd injured. That same Cal team put up 52 on Va Tech last year when Va Tech had DeAngelo Hall. If Auburn is so great how come they couldn't put up 52 on them? I realize their defense is better than Cal's, VA Tech got 49 on Cal, but it's a classic case of people judging a team on their worst performance, just like with OU.

Healthy Cal nearly beat USC again this year, but again, USC at that point was searching for WR's, Smith was hurt, and Jarrett hadn't developed yet, USC is MUCH better now than they were then. If they played Cal now they'd destroy them, with no McArthur or Lyman on the field.

USC was better than OU or LSU last year IMHO, the Cal loss denied them the chance to prove it, they made a statement last night they went for the jugular to prove to people they got shafted last year.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:

SEC was VERY weak this year. Kentucky, Vandy, and Miss State couldn't win a I-AA conference. Arkansas was very mediocre. Even bowl teams like Alabama (which got stomped by an average Minnesota team), and Florida would not be near the top of the Pac 10. SEC had only one truly good team (Auburn) and three decent teams (TN, GA and LSU).

The ACC was not that good either - Va Tech was the best team in the league, Miami and FSU were decent, the rest would give U of A company.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:

Talk about misinformed.....first off, the Pac 10 was 3-2 in bowl games. ASU's win was a big time upset considering they were without their stud record setting QB.

Strength of schedule? SEC? How about Auburn, go ahead and run their OOC games by me when you get a chance. I didn't even know a couple of those schools had a football program. SEC is no different than any other conference in the nation.....ouside the top 2 teams there are just above average and poor teams.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Everybody is judging Cal on a game they played without 2 of their key players and a 3rd injured. That same Cal team put up 52 on Va Tech last year when Va Tech had DeAngelo Hall. If Auburn is so great how come they couldn't put up 52 on them? I realize their defense is better than Cal's, VA Tech got 49 on Cal, but it's a classic case of people judging a team on their worst performance, just like with OU.

Healthy Cal nearly beat USC again this year, but again, USC at that point was searching for WR's, Smith was hurt, and Jarrett hadn't developed yet, USC is MUCH better now than they were then. If they played Cal now they'd destroy them, with no McArthur or Lyman on the field.

USC was better than OU or LSU last year IMHO, the Cal loss denied them the chance to prove it, they made a statement last night they went for the jugular to prove to people they got shafted last year.

Man, judge OU by last night's game. OU is way, way overrated. I like Adrian Peterson, but the rest of the Big 12 blows, except for Texas, and OU just owns Texas. OU beats up on crappy teams has play 15 home games, and when they have to play a real team, they're overmatched. I don't think that OU could have beaten Auburn, if it came right down to it.

I agree with you on Cal, but it's totally different than Oklahoma's horrible effort last night. I think you're wrong about Auburn, though. I think that they're the 2nd best team in the country.

The Pac 10 is just a conference on the rise. Washington and Washington State will rebound, and UCLA is going to get better, along with Arizona. It's not far from being a real powerhouse conference. Mike Stoops drawing recruits away from Texas and Oklahoma is only going to make the Big 12 that much weaker.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

Have you completely flipped your lid? :D

Cal is awash in mediocrity. I am not judging them on their bowl game but they are probably at best a mid tier school in either the ACC or SEC. They arent that good.

Big East had more bowl teams then the Pac-10 and Pitt, BC, Syracuse, and West Virginia all went to major bowls. After USC, you have a mediocre Cal team and a sub-mediocre ASU team then the likes of Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, etc. I would stack the ACC, SEC, Big 12, and yes even the Big east top to bottom up against the Pac-10 any day. In fact I would say the Pac-10 , right now, is probably on par with the Big EAST. (ALTHOUGH in the future I agree the Pac-10 will easily surpass it)

ASU got beat by a bad Arizona school before barely beating a disappointed Purdue school so I wouldnt hang my hat on that one.

Last edited:

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
SEC was VERY weak this year. Kentucky, Vandy, and Miss State couldn't win a I-AA conference. Arkansas was very mediocre. Even bowl teams like Alabama (which got stomped by an average Minnesota team), and Florida would not be near the top of the Pac 10. SEC had only one truly good team (Auburn) and three decent teams (TN, GA and LSU).

The ACC was not that good either - Va Tech was the best team in the league, Miami and FSU were decent, the rest would give U of A company.

HUH?

Va Tech, Miami, Florida St are all better teams than Cal and would have easily competed for the Pac-10 crown. That isnt even worht comparing. Are you saying The SEC's teams of LSU, Fla, Georgia, and Auburn dont match up against those powerhouses in the Pac-10 as Uof A, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington? Puhleease!

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Card Trader said:
Talk about misinformed.....first off, the Pac 10 was 3-2 in bowl games. ASU's win was a big time upset considering they were without their stud record setting QB.

Strength of schedule? SEC? How about Auburn, go ahead and run their OOC games by me when you get a chance. I didn't even know a couple of those schools had a football program. SEC is no different than any other conference in the nation.....ouside the top 2 teams there are just above average and poor teams.

SEC this year was much weaker than years past, but I will tell you this, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Tennesee stack up against the Pac-10's UCLA, Washington, STanford, ASU, and Arizona!

ASU's win is big time for ..umm..ASU I guess. Purdue was hurting and very disappointed in their late season collapse. It wasn a "BIG" win!

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Man, judge OU by last night's game. OU is way, way overrated. I like Adrian Peterson, but the rest of the Big 12 blows, except for Texas, and OU just owns Texas. OU beats up on crappy teams has play 15 home games, and when they have to play a real team, they're overmatched. I don't think that OU could have beaten Auburn, if it came right down to it.

I agree with you on Cal, but it's totally different than Oklahoma's horrible effort last night. I think you're wrong about Auburn, though. I think that they're the 2nd best team in the country.

The Pac 10 is just a conference on the rise. Washington and Washington State will rebound, and UCLA is going to get better, along with Arizona. It's not far from being a real powerhouse conference. Mike Stoops drawing recruits away from Texas and Oklahoma is only going to make the Big 12 that much weaker.

Cal got beat by Texas Tech for God's sake. puhhleease. Auburn is much better and would have wiped the floor with OU or Cal. USC Auburn is the matchup we should have seen.

Again I am not an OU guy at all and in fact dont even like the Big 12 but how can some say OU is overrated and then toot the horn of Cal and UCLA? I dont get it :shrug:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

I agree they're overrated a bit but I think they just blew last night, I think they're better than they showed. Auburn would beat Cal easily now, midseason with Mcarthur and Lyman I think Cal wins. OU I think gives Auburn a run for their money but loses.

Auburn IS very good, I just used them because of the Va Tech connection to Cal. Remember before last night people on ESPN were saying hey USC barely beat Va Tech so it shows you Auburn is comparable to USC, USC barely beat them at a time when their WR's were completely new, their best WR in that game was RB Reggie Bush, they're a completely different team now. I don't think Auburn could stay with USC.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Cal got beat by Texas Tech for God's sake. puhhleease. Auburn is much better and would have wiped the floor with OU or Cal. USC Auburn is the matchup we should have seen.

Again I am not an OU guy at all and in fact dont even like the Big 12 but how can some say OU is overrated and then toot the horn of Cal and UCLA? I dont get it :shrug:

You have to define WHICH Cal, the team that nearly beat USC with a healthy McARthur, and Lyman going down in the game, or the Cal that got nailed by TT at the end of the year with both guys out, the #3WR hurt and barely able to practice.

Midseason Cal was better than Auburn, now , no contest Cal has no starting WR's left Auburn would destroy them.

If the Colts lose Harrison and Wayne and Stokley is hobbled, and they lose to Denver will the Colts be horribly overrated? Or just the victims of bad timing with injury?

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I agree they're overrated a bit but I think they just blew last night, I think they're better than they showed. Auburn would beat Cal easily now, midseason with Mcarthur and Lyman I think Cal wins. OU I think gives Auburn a run for their money but loses.

Auburn IS very good, I just used them because of the Va Tech connection to Cal. Remember before last night people on ESPN were saying hey USC barely beat Va Tech so it shows you Auburn is comparable to USC, USC barely beat them at a time when their WR's were completely new, their best WR in that game was RB Reggie Bush, they're a completely different team now. I don't think Auburn could stay with USC.

USC also played Va Tech when Techs starting rb was out and Randell's (a notoriously slow starter) first game of the year. There are give-andtakes both ways here.

I am not saying Tech is better or even as good as USC, but I feel like Auburn is! Auburn dominated a very good Va Tech team (it was 16-0 almost all game and VaTech's late 80-yard TD pass made it closer) and Auburn-save for a couple of crucial mistakes-could have beatne Va Tech by 14 points or more

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Have you completely flipped your lid? :D

Cal is awash in mediocrity. I am not judging them on their bowl game but they are probably at best a mid tier school in either the ACC or SEC. They arent that good.

Big East had more bowl teams then the Pac-10 and Pitt, BC, Syracuse, and West Virginia all went to major bowls. After USC, you have a mediocre Cal team and a sub-mediocre ASU team then the likes of Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, etc. I would stack the ACC, SEC, Big 12, and yes even the Big east top to bottom up against the Pac-10 any day. In fact I would say the Pac-10 , right now, is probably on par with the Big EAST. (ALTHOUGH in the future I agree the Pac-10 will easily surpass it)

ASU got beat by a bad Arizona school before barely beating a disappointed Purdue school so I wouldnt hang my hat on that one.

Huh? 50 Schools went to bowl games. Pitt and West Virginia didn't make a strong case for anything but their crappy schedules boosting them up, and their fan followings getting them bowl invites. West Virginia got killed by Florida State, and Pitt got run out of the stadium by Mid-Major Utah. Neither team could have hung with a healthy Cal team. You're goofy to think otherwise. Syracuse got STOMPED by Georgia Tech. Are you kidding me? UCLA played close to a conference winner, Oregon State beat Notre Dame, who nearly beat Big East Champion Pitt and did beat Tennessee. I mean, I guess it's nice if your teams go to those guaranteed bowl spots, but it'd be nice if they won a couple. You know, against those other conferences that they're supposed to be better than. Even BC was lucky to sneak out of their bowl game with a win against lowly North Carolina.

ASU without its best player beat a healthy Purdue team that was expected to win, regardless of the "disappointment" that they apparently felt. Man, give it up and admit you're wrong. Move ASU to the Big East and they're suddenly a dynasty.

Right now, the ACC and SEC are head and shoulders above everyone else. Then the Big 10, then it's really close between the Pac 10 and Big 12. Christ, there's not a team in the Big 12 north that the top three teams in the Pac 10 couldn't beat.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
You have to define WHICH Cal, the team that nearly beat USC with a healthy McARthur, and Lyman going down in the game, or the Cal that got nailed by TT at the end of the year with both guys out, the #3WR hurt and barely able to practice.

Midseason Cal was better than Auburn, now , no contest Cal has no starting WR's left Auburn would destroy them.

If the Colts lose Harrison and Wayne and Stokley is hobbled, and they lose to Denver will the Colts be horribly overrated? Or just the victims of bad timing with injury?

Perosonally I dont think it matters much. Auburn is soo damn fast defensivly and can stop the run w/o stacking 8 guys in the box, that I think they easily beat Cal at any point this year. I think Cal would have had to rely strictly on Rodgers arm to win it and you arent gonna beat Auburn like that. Tennesee got back into their championship game by running draws and traps to off set Auburns speed and not abandoning the running game. I dont think Cal has the horses to stay with that Auburn defense!

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Huh? 50 Schools went to bowl games. Pitt and West Virginia didn't make a strong case for anything but their crappy schedules boosting them up, and their fan followings getting them bowl invites. West Virginia got killed by Florida State, and Pitt got run out of the stadium by Mid-Major Utah. Neither team could have hung with a healthy Cal team. You're goofy to think otherwise. Syracuse got STOMPED by Georgia Tech. Are you kidding me? UCLA played close to a conference winner, Oregon State beat Notre Dame, who nearly beat Big East Champion Pitt and did beat Tennessee. I mean, I guess it's nice if your teams go to those guaranteed bowl spots, but it'd be nice if they won a couple. You know, against those other conferences that they're supposed to be better than. Even BC was lucky to sneak out of their bowl game with a win against lowly North Carolina.

ASU without its best player beat a healthy Purdue team that was expected to win, regardless of the "disappointment" that they apparently felt. Man, give it up and admit you're wrong. Move ASU to the Big East and they're suddenly a dynasty.

Right now, the ACC and SEC are head and shoulders above everyone else. Then the Big 10, then it's really close between the Pac 10 and Big 12. Christ, there's not a team in the Big 12 north that the top three teams in the Pac 10 couldn't beat.

I wont disagree with you on the Big East. They are a much weaker conference now. But my intial arguement was not about the Big east it was with everyone saying teams from the BIg 12, SEC, and even the ACC are overrated then turning around touting a Cal team that was solid but nothing beyond that IMO.

ASU beat a Purdue team that was not that good. Did you watch them this year? Outside of Orten they had next to no one and not much of a defense.

I guess its a "Big Win" for ASU...but that says more about ASU and the Pac-10 then anything else.

UCLA played in the freaking Las Vegas bowl against wyoming! Who is kidding who here? :rolleyes: Oregon St beat a Notre Dame in despair after losing their head coach.

You can spin it any way you like, but calling the Pac-10 close to a "Power House" is laughable.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
SEC this year was much weaker than years past, but I will tell you this, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Tennesee stack up against the Pac-10's UCLA, Washington, STanford, ASU, and Arizona!

ASU's win is big time for ..umm..ASU I guess. Purdue was hurting and very disappointed in their late season collapse. It wasn a "BIG" win!

You are laughable at best with your comparisons. First off, you give PUrdue the benefit of the doubt for hurting and very dissapointed, yet say nothing of Cal without their top receivers and dissapointed at the fricken Holiday Bowl.

You take the top 4 teams in the SEC and compare them to teams from #4 to #9 in the Pac 10? You have got to be kidding me man, what a joke!!!!!!!!!

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Outside of Orten they had next to no one and not much of a defense.

Do you just make this rubbish up as you go???? Purdue only gave up more than 27(which ASU scored on them) once this year, and it was in a win.

They held Michigan to 16 points, Iowa to 23 and that was when Iowa was rolling, they shut out Syracuse while dropping 51 on them and only gave up 16 to Notre Dame in a route.

You just don't like the Pac 10 and are grasping at anything, stuff you obviously know little about to prove yourself.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Auburn can beat USC? the SEC & Big10 blow away the Pac-10 ?

attachment.php

The reason why the PAC didn't have any more bowl teams is that they are all good - they beat up on each other outside of USC.

There aren't perrenial sub-500 teams like Kentucky, Vandy, Baylor, Kansas, Indiana, Duke, etc in the PAC-10. NO other conference has sent ALL their teams to a bowl game like how the PAC has in the past 5 years.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
USC also played Va Tech when Techs starting rb was out and Randell's (a notoriously slow starter) first game of the year. There are give-andtakes both ways here.

I am not saying Tech is better or even as good as USC, but I feel like Auburn is! Auburn dominated a very good Va Tech team (it was 16-0 almost all game and VaTech's late 80-yard TD pass made it closer) and Auburn-save for a couple of crucial mistakes-could have beatne Va Tech by 14 points or more

And if Tech's TE holds onto the ball that hits him right in the hands it's 7-6 Va Tech at the 12 minute mark in the 2nd quarter. Auburn was clearly better but I really don't think they dominated, it could have easily been 16-14 Auburn when Tech got the ball back on that drive where they got the somewhat fluky 80 yard TD pass, all they have to do is kick a FG to win the game.

I think USC would beat Auburn by 2 TD's, auburn is very good I just think USC is quite a bit better.

But we'll never know.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Card Trader said:
You are laughable at best with your comparisons. First off, you give PUrdue the benefit of the doubt for hurting and very dissapointed, yet say nothing of Cal without their top receivers and dissapointed at the fricken Holiday Bowl.

You take the top 4 teams in the SEC and compare them to teams from #4 to #9 in the Pac 10? You have got to be kidding me man, what a joke!!!!!!!!!

So you think Georgia, Tenness, LSU, and Auburn dont match up against UCLA, Oregon ST, Stanford, and ASU? hahahah um ok, whatever.

Why would Cal be disappointed? They didnt deserve to be in a major BCS bowl as witnessed by their defeat at the hands of Texas Tech. Sure they had injuries, but do you honestly think they are as good as Auburn? Come on man...Now your just trying to argue.

I dont hate the Pac-10, **** I went to ASU, but how can you say top-to-bottom it een compares to the SEC, ACC, Big 10 and in most yars the BIG 12? It doesnt. It is much weaker.

You have USC..and..err. USC. ASU is not a great football team and you know it. No matter how much you wish it, it just isnt true. They beat a Purdue team coming off a 4 game losing streak including losing to Northwestern. Yeah great win! :rolleyes:

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Card Trader said:
Do you just make this rubbish up as you go???? Purdue only gave up more than 27(which ASU scored on them) once this year, and it was in a win.

They held Michigan to 16 points, Iowa to 23 and that was when Iowa was rolling, they shut out Syracuse while dropping 51 on them and only gave up 16 to Notre Dame in a route.

You just don't like the Pac 10 and are grasping at anything, stuff you obviously know little about to prove yourself.

Purdue gave up iover 330yards a game and that 16 they gave up to Michigan genius was in a loss.

THEY LOST TO NORTHWESTERN-NUFF SAID!

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
And if Tech's TE holds onto the ball that hits him right in the hands it's 7-6 Va Tech at the 12 minute mark in the 2nd quarter. Auburn was clearly better but I really don't think they dominated, it could have easily been 16-14 Auburn when Tech got the ball back on that drive where they got the somewhat fluky 80 yard TD pass, all they have to do is kick a FG to win the game.

I think USC would beat Auburn by 2 TD's, auburn is very good I just think USC is quite a bit better.

But we'll never know.

Best arguement yet, we will never know. I tend to agree that Auburn, as good as they are, are not as good as USC. I dont think they lose 55-19 , and it is probably a better game , but USC is so damn dominant last night it was quite eye opening to me.

Furthermore, I was never a big Leinhart fan and have completly changed my tune after last night. He looked great. No bad decisions and all those bombs were right on target.

I feel cheated that we didnt get to see, what I think, was the real NC in USC v Auburn

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
Auburn can beat USC? the SEC & Big10 blow away the Pac-10 ?

attachment.php

The reason why the PAC didn't have any more bowl teams is that they are all good - they beat up on each other outside of USC.

There aren't perrenial sub-500 teams like Kentucky, Vandy, Baylor, Kansas, Indiana, Duke, etc in the PAC-10. NO other conference has sent ALL their teams to a bowl game like how the PAC has in the past 5 years.

Yeah coz U of A has been a real powerhouse these last 5 years...along with Stanford , UCLA, and Washington St.

I can make your arguement for almost any teams in the SEC, Big 10, or ACC. Most all of them have gone to bowl games the past 5 years includng Vandy, Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, Wake Forest, etc

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard