Beating the Niners

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Since the Niners are scoring 30 a game, it seems logical to talk about defense first. This is even a tougher test than the Cowboys were expected to present. The offense is based on McCaffrey. As he goes, so goes the team. I would defend by assigning a scout to track him. I know that’s usually a QB defense strategy. However, the versatility McCaffrey brings lets him attack in so many ways the defense can’t adapt quickly enough. This will require a versatile defender to accomplish this. I’m thinking Wallace is the man. He’s fast enough and can play the pass and the run. There’s no question this makes the Cards more vulnerable to the Niners’ passing game, but you have to sacrifice something to challenge them.

Their passing game has been dangerous. Hopefully Samuels’ knee will at least limit his effectiveness. As a whole the Niners’ receivers are mostly beat up. Purdy has been pressured on 34% of his passes, so he is somewhat vulnerable to the rush. I’m throwing caution to the wind and blitzing often, mixing in numerous stunts. The Cards had a little trouble stopping the run against Dallas. This will aggravate that vulnerability, but you have to put something at risk to pull an upset. I know this will be especially stressful on the beat up DL. I liked the way the man defense worked against Dallas. Historically Aiyuk has been a force against the Cards, making multiple strategic catches. I’d stick Clark on him. Clark will get beat a couple of times, but I like his more physical style of play.

On offense the Cards need to have long possessions. They have to keep their injured defense rested. This means no turnovers. So the Cards must keep their passing game short and controlled. I’d love to see them make better use of McBride. If Brown’s thumb is okay, the Cards should use his quickness on slants. Dobbs must continue to improve his effectiveness. I’d like to see Dortch get some YAC opportunities, again likely on crossing routes. Wilson seems to be growing into a decent possession receiver. No more catch it short and run for the first. I don’t think the Cards can give up downs on low percentage passing plays. They must go with the higher percentage throws. They’ve also got to keep Conner in the game. He must run to keep the defense honest. Use those pulling lineman designs. I’d also like to see him targeted on more short passes. If they do feel compelled to throw midrange passes they should hold Connor in the backfield to protect Dobbs, especially against Bosa. They should run at Bosa some just to tire him a little.

Finally the Cards need a clean game penalty-wise. So far they’ve handicapped the offense with too many sloppy penalties.

Finally they should take points where they can get them. Accept field goals and don’t try to force TD opportunities. I suspect this won’t be a low-scoring game, but coming away with points on a drive is a morale booster and confidence builder.

I am concerned if the Cards actually do any of this, halftime adjustments might be brutal. Still if the Cards are still in it by the second half, maybe the pressure will at least slow the Niners’ attack.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Two things. One you mentioned and one you didn't or so I believe.
1. While I agree with not taking points off the board, in theory by taking the penalty we keep our defense off the field for a while longer.
2. We have to tackle better. In the Dallas game we missed a LOT of tackles and if that happens this week, the game will get out of hand very fast.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Two things. One you mentioned and one you didn't or so I believe.
1. While I agree with not taking points off the board, in theory by taking the penalty we keep our defense off the field for a while longer.
2. We have to tackle better. In the Dallas game we missed a LOT of tackles and if that happens this week, the game will get out of hand very fast.
Certainly agree with 2. I guess 1 is somewhat situational. I just worry with the Cards propensity for penalties, they might too often end up with nothing.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gannon says it’s a feeling. The way the Cards were moving the ball I think he felt comfortable going for it.
Any time we can keep their offense off the field it’s probably a good idea.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hmm, the San Francisco Clowns. I like that better than the San Francisco 49'rs( :blush: wrong sport):p

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
They embarrassed us twice last year and that still sticks in my craw. I would be satisfied with a physical game in which we might come up short, but make those clowns work for it.
We need to lay out the blueprint. Show the entire nfl how to systematically nullify their offense while surgically dissecting their defense. Make it so clear every coordinator in the league can follow the plan. Then give them a top ten pick courtesy of their 6-11 record.

We got some bright guys on the staff...they can figure it out.

Right???

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson