NFL.com article: teams looking for a QB in 2013

A fan who cares

Veteran
Reaction score
It's nothing new to what we've been talking about, but he mentions the Cardinals as team with the most need and that we'll probably take one in the first round.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...aft-cardinals-raiders-headline-qbhungry-teams

I thought this would be an interesting read especially in light of the Cards beating the Pats, we still need better QB play. He sights Ryan Lindey as unlikely to ever be the franchise QB we're looking for, but most interestingly he says that Skelton is unproven. I don't know about that.

As the year goes on, I'm sure we'll know more about the senior QB's as well as our needs better.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Skelton's certainly unproven. All you can say about him at this point is that he's mediocre. He shows some flashes, but hasn't been able to put together anything resembling a complete game thus far in his career.

I admire his toughness, arm, and resilience, but there's still very little to say he's our QB for years to come.

If a guy that can truly be a premiere QB (or even someone that can play consistently like Andy Dalton or Joe Flacco) in this league is in front of us next year, we've got to take him, barring Kolb or Skelton emerging in a big way at some point this season.

Still, I'd prefer not to start talking draft just yet. We're 2-0!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
He sights Ryan Lindey as unlikely to ever be the franchise QB we're looking for, but most interestingly he says that Skelton is unproven. I don't know about that.

You don't know about Skelton? Let me help you. He's not accurate, throws too many picks & not the answer. Thinking Skelton is anything more than a career backup & possible short-term guy who can start a few games a year is ridiculous.

All this team needs is a big time passer & a LT & we're competing for a title for years!

chickenhead

Reaction score
I don't see why Leinart would have anything to do with Barkley being selected. Yes, they're both USC quarterbacks, but a decade apart and under different coaches. That just felt like filler for a conclusion to me.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't see why Leinart would have anything to do with Barkley being selected. Yes, they're both USC quarterbacks, but a decade apart and under different coaches. That just felt like filler for a conclusion to me.

From what I've heard, there's a deep USC culture that develops and lasts for years, especially if Barkley somehow ends up winning the Heisman and joins an even closer fraternity of college players.

I think that Barkley and Leinart even went to the same high school. They might not be first-order contacts, but certainly they would have each other's numbers, or close access to them.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lindley vs. an "elite rookie" debate figures to be intriguing.

Certainly, the reason why certain draft prospects are considered future franchise QB's is borne out of their physical attributes and body of work in HS and college.

But, after the Leinart experience, it makes me wonder whether it's more important to evaluate potential QB's through a narrow lense that screens out reputation and media-hype and zeros in on what you see the guy actually do on the field (i.e. as though he was a Madden 13 generic QB with the name erased from the back of his uni).

I wasn't a big fan of Lindley going into preseason, but he showed me enough to convince me he should be compared side-by-side against Barkley or any other elite college QB - Player vs. Player instead of Late Pick vs. #1 Draft Choice.

Which, of course, also begs the question:"Do we have anyone on the Cardinal staff who "knows a good QB when he/she sees one" and can tell the difference between a legitimate prospect and a pretender?

chickenhead

Reaction score
From what I've heard, there's a deep USC culture that develops and lasts for years, especially if Barkley somehow ends up winning the Heisman and joins an even closer fraternity of college players.

I think that Barkley and Leinart even went to the same high school. They might not be first-order contacts, but certainly they would have each other's numbers, or close access to them.

Oh for sure--I would expect there to be a close fraternity of Trojan QBs. I just think it would be pretty silly for the Cards to not take Barkley because of Leinart. In any case, it'll probably take a pretty high pick to have that debate, which is hard when you're going to be picking 32nd. :koolaid:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn