Focusing on 2024

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I realize most people will be focused on the win/loss aspects of today’s game. I will be focused on which players appears to be a part of a winning 2024. It’s why I wanted Tune, but I lost that one. I know some have been critical of Clark being named number 2 corner. I think that makes sense. He’s likely not strong enough to cover TEs, as the slot corner. If he can make it, he’s in the right spot. He’ll get beat up, but we’ll see if he improves week to week. Try not to give him too much early grief. I disagree on Ojulari being highly limited. He doesn’t play a position known to benefit from observation. He won’t be highly effective when he plays, but at least he could realistically assess where he stands. It’s a painful way to learn, but usually the most effective route for rushers. What does he have that works and what does he need to develop?

Johnson should fare better. He figures to get beat on occasion, but he should be solid early on. It looks like Wilson will play a significant amount of downs at WR. He’s hampered by the lack of an effective QB, but is he getting open? Does he show good hands? Does he make the most of the decent chances he gets? Cooney displays some evidence of being a great choice. Can he maintain it throughout the season?

Then there are the more veteran players. Is Froholdt really an NFL Center? Can Wilson be a number one CB? If not can he be a starting CB? He has the athleticism, but does he have the tenacity? Is anybody on the DL more than a placeholder? Are the Cards OGs real NFL starters? Will the Cards ever figure out how valuable Dortch is? Will McBride emerge as a threat? Does Baker really want to be here?

Frankly, there are clearly far more questions, than answers. I did not buy Sunday Ticket because I’m all about player study this season. Hopefully they’ll improve the “coaches film” to do a better job of showing the secondary play. I’ve seen some amazing predictions for this season. I class 6 wins as very optimistic. I think 3-4 is the likelihood. That said I be investing my time focused, as is the GM, on 2024!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
On offense, I'm watching the OL to evaluate who should be a starter going forward. I'm bullish on the future of Paris Johnson Jr and I think we'll look back on the choice as a solid foundational player on the OL. Froholdt has some potential; he looked really good in the preseason. He looked athletic, strong, and tenacious. I think the hope is that Petzing saw something in Froholdt last year. Froholdt didn't start playing football until HS age so he might have untapped potential that can be unlocked through reps.

At RB, I'd like to see Ingram establish himself this year. He has a nice blend of size, speed, and strength. He catches the ball well.

At WR I'm excited to see Wilson because the rest of the WR corps is likely gone in the future. Maybe Dortch sticks, but he seems to get lost in the shuffle.

While the DL appears to be barren, edge has plenty of intrigue. I believe Cam Thomas will establish himself as the top front seven player this year. He's big, strong, and has a great motor. OTs are going to hate playing against him every week. Ojulari was a top college edge last year and already has some developed pass rush moves. Sanders was hurt in camp, but he's super twitchy and likely has solid rotational edge potential as a situational pass rusher. Gardeck struggled last year, but sometimes it takes a bit to come back from an ACL tear.

CB also has some intrigue. I'm more bullish on Wilson than most, but I will concede I don't think he's a true #1 corner, I think his ceiling is good #2 corner. Clark looks like a guy who will stick in the NFL as a solid #3/#4 CB.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
On offense, I'm watching the OL to evaluate who should be a starter going forward. I'm bullish on the future of Paris Johnson Jr and I think we'll look back on the choice as a solid foundational player on the OL. Froholdt has some potential; he looked really good in the preseason. He looked athletic, strong, and tenacious. I think the hope is that Petzing saw something in Froholdt last year. Froholdt didn't start playing football until HS age so he might have untapped potential that can be unlocked through reps.

At RB, I'd like to see Ingram establish himself this year. He has a nice blend of size, speed, and strength. He catches the ball well.

At WR I'm excited to see Wilson because the rest of the WR corps is likely gone in the future. Maybe Dortch sticks, but he seems to get lost in the shuffle.

While the DL appears to be barren, edge has plenty of intrigue. I believe Cam Thomas will establish himself as the top front seven player this year. He's big, strong, and has a great motor. OTs are going to hate playing against him every week. Ojulari was a top college edge last year and already has some developed pass rush moves. Sanders was hurt in camp, but he's super twitchy and likely has solid rotational edge potential as a situational pass rusher. Gardeck struggled last year, but sometimes it takes a bit to come back from an ACL tear.

CB also has some intrigue. I'm more bullish on Wilson than most, but I will concede I don't think he's a true #1 corner, I think his ceiling is good #2 corner. Clark looks like a guy who will stick in the NFL as a solid #3/#4 CB.
I'd love to see Ingram establish himself...he just needs to make sure he holds onto the ball. That's my only concern with him.

His running style is pretty smooth, though...

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
I really hope McBride emerges to the threat we need him to be. Haven’t really heard much about him this off season which kind of sucks, but would be huge if he does take the next step forward.

2024 predictions:
Hollywood brown will still have the daintiest sensitive hamstrings in the business.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize most people will be focused on the win/loss aspects of today’s game. I will be focused on which players appears to be a part of a winning 2024. It’s why I wanted Tune, but I lost that one. I know some have been critical of Clark being named number 2 corner. I think that makes sense. He’s likely not strong enough to cover TEs, as the slot corner. If he can make it, he’s in the right spot. He’ll get beat up, but we’ll see if he improves week to week. Try not to give him too much early grief. I disagree on Ojulari being highly limited. He doesn’t play a position known to benefit from observation. He won’t be highly effective when he plays, but at least he could realistically assess where he stands. It’s a painful way to learn, but usually the most effective route for rushers. What does he have that works and what does he need to develop?

Johnson should fare better. He figures to get beat on occasion, but he should be solid early on. It looks like Wilson will play a significant amount of downs at WR. He’s hampered by the lack of an effective QB, but is he getting open? Does he show good hands? Does he make the most of the decent chances he gets? Cooney displays some evidence of being a great choice. Can he maintain it throughout the season?

Then there are the more veteran players. Is Froholdt really an NFL Center? Can Wilson be a number one CB? If not can he be a starting CB? He has the athleticism, but does he have the tenacity? Is anybody on the DL more than a placeholder? Are the Cards OGs real NFL starters? Will the Cards ever figure out how valuable Dortch is? Will McBride emerge as a threat? Does Baker really want to be here?

Frankly, there are clearly far more questions, than answers. I did not buy Sunday Ticket because I’m all about player study this season. Hopefully they’ll improve the “coaches film” to do a better job of showing the secondary play. I’ve seen some amazing predictions for this season. I class 6 wins as very optimistic. I think 3-4 is the likelihood. That said I be investing my time focused, as is the GM, on 2024!
@Harry, too soon to ask for an update on how you saw things in week 1?