newest azcentral mock draft (5th edition)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's as sensible a mock as I've seen.

I've been thinking about Upshaw (and one's scout's assessment of: "Pass on him because he's too short and let Pittsburgh snap him up and turn him into an All Pro")

That assessment shouts "Horton's kind of guy!"

If Reiff or DeCastro are off the board, I think we might take him (possibly over Ingram, although I think that would be a tough call).

Funny, though, how many mock drafters will make "regional assumptions" - i.e. the Bears drafting an Illinois guy (Mercilus) or the Niners looking to Stanford (Fleener).

OP
OP

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's as sensible a mock as I've seen.

I've been thinking about Upshaw (and one's scout's assessment of: "Pass on him because he's too short and let Pittsburgh snap him up and turn him into an All Pro")

That assessment shouts "Horton's kind of guy!"

If Reiff or DeCastro are off the board, I think we might take him (possibly over Ingram, although I think that would be a tough call).

Funny, though, how many mock drafters will make "regional assumptions" - i.e. the Bears drafting an Illinois guy (Mercilus) or the Niners looking to Stanford (Fleener).
that's a strange statement for Upshaw and not Ingram, given they're the exact same height

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
that's a strange statement for Upshaw and not Ingram, given they're the exact same height
Ask the scout; I'm only passing along what this guy said about Upshaw. He didn't mention Ingram.

I agree that both of them kind of fit the same physical mold (though Ingram is more often projected to play outside and Upshaw is often considered a DE).

But it's more important how Horton and his staff feel about the importance of adding a high-profile "Pittsburgh-prototype" OLB and less important how various draft guides cubby-hole either Ingram or Upshaw.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I am not to high on Upshaw anymore. I have heard a lot of whispers/rumors/snippets/etc. that says he has A LOT of outside distractions in his life.

If we are going to pick Upshaw, then why not Ingram or Hightower.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most project Ingram in the top ten. Doubt if he will be there when we pick. But if he is they should jump on him.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I have watched Upshaw's tapes over and over---he is a tremendous competitor---and a real bull on the edge with extremely strong arms and hands---but he runs like a duck and I am not trying to be funny---amazingly he gets to a lot of plays because he is so alert and never quits on a play, but it seemed that at Alabama they purposely lined him up to the short side of the field, which obviously is a much shorter area to cover than in the NFL.

He plays well with his hand down---and part of the reason why he waddles when he runs is that he loves to be in a hitting position---and, man, when he hits, he hits. At 6-2 and 275---he fits as a 43 DE---just don't see him being able to cover as a 34 OLB or be able to run down running plays to the wide side of the hash. Thus, it would be a bit of a surprise if the Cardinals took him.

The other thing is---he doesn't have a quick first step at all---so he isn't ever going to beat tackles off the snap. Most of the sacks I saw him make were ones where he wasn't blocked at all, or where he pealed back for a coverage sack.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I have watched Upshaw's tapes over and over---he is a tremendous competitor---and a real bull on the edge with extremely strong arms and hands---but he runs like a duck and I am not trying to be funny---amazingly he gets to a lot of plays because he is so alert and never quits on a play, but it seemed that at Alabama they purposely lined him up to the short side of the field, which obviously is a much shorter area to cover than in the NFL.

He plays well with his hand down---and part of the reason why he waddles when he runs is that he loves to be in a hitting position---and, man, when he hits, he hits. At 6-2 and 275---he fits as a 43 DE---just don't see him being able to cover as a 34 OLB or be able to run down running plays to the wide side of the hash. Thus, it would be a bit of a surprise if the Cardinals took him.

The other thing is---he doesn't have a quick first step at all---so he isn't ever going to beat tackles off the snap. Most of the sacks I saw him make were ones where he wasn't blocked at all, or where he pealed back for a coverage sack.

Spot on Mitch. I love the guys heart and hitting ability, but I just don't see him being good in coverage. I would like to see him as an inside linebacker playing the run and being the thumper that he is. He can be moved around some just not for coverage.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Most project Ingram in the top ten. Doubt if he will be there when we pick. But if he is they should jump on him.

Having spent a few hours this morning once again reviewing the tapes of Ingram, Upshaw, Coples, Mercilus, Chandler Jones, Shea McClellin, Jake Bequette, and Nick Perry---

1. This is a weak class for edge rushers.

2. The most natural and gifted pass rushers of this bunch (other than Coples---who has motivational issues): Chandler Jones and Whitney Mercilus...the strongest are Upshaw and McClellin---and to me the most complete package for the Cardinals' 34 SOLB would be McClellin, followed closely by Jones and then Ingram.

3. Coples is an enigma---, very talented physically, but is not relentless in the least.

4. Perry is hot and cold---and a times gets pushed around the way you wouldn't expect from a first rounder---and he's not very big or strong---but he crashes down on the edge pretty well.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/car...public-nfl-mock-draft-2012-fifth-edition.html

I could live with this. If both WRs, both OTs and the one OG I want above a defender are gone, then I would be more than happy with this. Our O will be sad, but our D will be beasty

Makes some sense to me. If Richardson gets passed over at number 4 he could slip all the way to us. Would we take him? I certainly would as he is an immediate impact player and at #13 would have to be the BPA. For him to slip this far is a real long shot but so was Matt Leinart when we drafted him. Is Graves drafting the BPA as he says he will or what ?

By the time the draft rolls around all the teams will have read all the draft trackers, experts, etc so I expect most teams will have the players lined up in a similar order of ability. There is always some crazy picks and I expect no less this year. No matter who we draft it will not make that much difference this year. It might help in future years. Only if one of our QB's emerge as a real NFL starter will our record change much. It will be tough to match last years 8-8. We finished really strong for reasons that I am unsure of or if they can be repeated.

OP
OP

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Makes some sense to me. If Richardson gets passed over at number 4 he could slip all the way to us. Would we take him? I certainly would as he is an immediate impact player and at #13 would have to be the BPA. For him to slip this far is a real long shot but so was Matt Leinart when we drafted him. Is Graves drafting the BPA as he says he will or what ?

By the time the draft rolls around all the teams will have read all the draft trackers, experts, etc so I expect most teams will have the players lined up in a similar order of ability. There is always some crazy picks and I expect no less this year. No matter who we draft it will not make that much difference this year. It might help in future years. Only if one of our QB's emerge as a real NFL starter will our record change much. It will be tough to match last years 8-8. We finished really strong for reasons that I am unsure of or if they can be repeated.
you think? I thought it was clear what led to our strong finish, our D finally settling into their roles and playing as a unit in their new system. And I don't think we've lost any of that in the off-season. As far as Richardson, if he falls that low, it will be very hard to say he's not the BPA. But it brings us to an interesting crossroads for our RBs. Do we try to deal Beanie? R. Williams? I don't see us letting LSH go, he's a totally different style runner than any of the rest and is great on kick returns

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I am not to high on Upshaw anymore. I have heard a lot of whispers/rumors/snippets/etc. that says he has A LOT of outside distractions in his life.

That's out there, don't know how true, but if your coming out of college you'll have distractions.

They'll need to discuss them obviously before the draft.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Pretty much nailed it.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I think they nailed it. Makes the most sense and I would bet the most accurate of any to date. Almost dead on to what I would have thought based on knowing each team.

PaulW

Veteran
Reaction score
Trade down and take McClellin, if their top 3 are already gone. I believe Mitch's assesment.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having spent a few hours this morning once again reviewing the tapes of Ingram, Upshaw, Coples, Mercilus, Chandler Jones, Shea McClellin, Jake Bequette, and Nick Perry---

1. This is a weak class for edge rushers.

2. The most natural and gifted pass rushers of this bunch (other than Coples---who has motivational issues): Chandler Jones and Whitney Mercilus...the strongest are Upshaw and McClellin---and to me the most complete package for the Cardinals' 34 SOLB would be McClellin, followed closely by Jones and then Ingram.

3. Coples is an enigma---, very talented physically, but is not relentless in the least.

4. Perry is hot and cold---and a times gets pushed around the way you wouldn't expect from a first rounder---and he's not very big or strong---but he crashes down on the edge pretty well.

Interesting.

An impact player like Blackmon or Floyd would be exciting but I'm pretty sure both will be gone. Neither one would get past the Cards. We would take one or trade down.
I don't want to draft a lineman at 13 if he is the 3rd or 4th rated at the position. Not when you have a higher ranked player available.
Donta Hightower is the guy I want followed by Chamdler Jones who, by the way, is compared to Calais Campbell but more versitile.

Give me a guy that has been doing it. Give me a self motivated high motor guy.

Remember...the draft is for the future. Don't pass on a better player for a need.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard