Netflix vs. Blockbuster

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to own it, and have it in my possession. vs. having a service that allows me access to the said movies.

So just rip them like a-bomb stated. They are sure tangible then :)

Takes up WAY WAY WAY less space and works to be about 40 cents a piece.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just rip them like a-bomb stated. They are sure tangible then :)

Takes up WAY WAY WAY less space and works to be about 40 cents a piece.

quality difference. When you ripping them, you have to convert everything to fit on a DVD and the first thing that suffers is DVD extras. Audio quality, and then Video quality. I don't mind the extras as much as I mind the audio/video quality. There is a reason why I have the PS3/HDDVD, so I can watch the movies in the best quality possible.

Like I said, if I didn't care about quality, I would do that.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
quality difference. When you ripping them, you have to convert everything to fit on a DVD and the first thing that suffers is DVD extras. Audio quality, and then Video quality. I don't mind the extras as much as I mind the audio/video quality. There is a reason why I have the PS3/HDDVD, so I can watch the movies in the best quality possible.

Like I said, if I didn't care about quality, I would do that.

Im here to tell you that I have just a few that are no less quality. WOuld you like me to mail you a couple so you can see for yourself?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im here to tell you that I have just a few that are no less quality. WOuld you like me to mail you a couple so you can see for yourself?

Some of them, I'm sure that it is possible. With double sided duel layer dvd's that are manufacturered, consumer based burners are not capable of copying that much data.

95% of them have to convert the audio and video signals. I have seen some of the best movies burned, it just isn't worth it.

Thanks for the offer though.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of them, I'm sure that it is possible. With double sided duel layer dvd's that are manufacturered, consumer based burners are not capable of copying that much data.

95% of them have to convert the audio and video signals. I have seen some of the best movies burned, it just isn't worth it.

Thanks for the offer though.

Your loss :)

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am officially changing from Netflix to Blockbuster. Kind of excited about the in-store exchanges. No more being patient!!!!

I liked Netflix a lot, but having the option of getting a movie while driving home from work is a no brainer!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I am officially changing from Netflix to Blockbuster. Kind of excited about the in-store exchanges. No more being patient!!!!

I liked Netflix a lot, but having the option of getting a movie while driving home from work is a no brainer!

I wanna Blockbuster that isn't twenty miles away!!! :sad:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW. Blockbuster was a complete let down. I am canceling it without even having been sent a movie. My queue would NEVER load, 25% of the movies on there had long waits or very long waits, plus, I just really like netflix's layout 10000x better.

I think I will up the amount of discs I receive from Netflix, that way I wont feel like I'm waiting on a particular movie.

Netflix, you are my #1.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
every summer we used to sign up for the in-store plan with blockbuster (we have one close to home)

now we use netflix

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
agreed - the only thing I get long waits on are a pretty obscure sports titles - never on a movie and the layout has been seamless

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
agreed - the only thing I get long waits on are a pretty obscure sports titles - never on a movie and the layout has been seamless

I get long waits all the time on mostly obscure asian horror movies, asian action flicks, and older TV series such as Macgyver. But I am usually able bypass that by using the instore exchanges on those long wait titles, and only leaving the available ones on my list. In the end I still get every movie I want in a timely manner and I get more of them then Netflix. Plus I can get video games with my 2 coupons every month. Thats $16 in savings every month and I ahvent bought a video game in 3 years because of it. I just keep renting it until I beat it.

I am not sure why the layout would be an issue either???

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i hear you on the video games - instead of spending $50 on a game to play it sparingly, I just use a coupon and rent it when I get the urge or to try out new games

there are a couple that i've bought because either I enjoyed it that much or it's a good group game for when friends come over

i don't think a lot of the newer plans allow you game rental though

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Well, this summer I'm back to Blockbuster (I alternate between the 2). Chose the $4/month plan which you can order 2 movies per month; enough for our needs.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any ideas why Netflix wouldnt have The West Wing Season 1, but would have the other six seasons? :(

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't express my absolute love for Netflix.

Netflix, I heart you!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rented Mongol and Knocked Up at BB. Cost me nine bucks. What the...

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only problem I have with Netflix is their godawfully slow website.

I've never had any issue.

I am almost done watching Friday Night Lights S2 via streaming. I love the site and the company. I've added a few friends and keep tabs on their rentals and queues.

On Nov 19, the Xbox 360 update comes out which will allow streaming from the site to the Xbox. My buddy has been beta testing and said even the HD content (Heroes, etc) looks amazing.

If you dont have an X360, the Roku will do the same thing for $100. A few of the next-gen BluRay players include it as well.

Blockbuster is DONE.