Netflix vs. Blockbuster

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I've never had any issue.

I am almost done watching Friday Night Lights S2 via streaming. I love the site and the company. I've added a few friends and keep tabs on their rentals and queues.

On Nov 19, the Xbox 360 update comes out which will allow streaming from the site to the Xbox. My buddy has been beta testing and said even the HD content (Heroes, etc) looks amazing.

If you dont have an X360, the Roku will do the same thing for $100. A few of the next-gen BluRay players include it as well.

Blockbuster is DONE.

Their streaming player is excellent. I haven't had a problem with it. Whenever I do anything, search for movies, update my queue, it takes between 10-20 seconds before it even moves--just kind of freezes up for a few. I was ready to chalk it up to my evil computer, but now I have a new one without taint and with great protection, and it's still the same. I'm suspecting that the website is geared to really, really fast computers, and mine is just average.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their streaming player is excellent. I haven't had a problem with it. Whenever I do anything, search for movies, update my queue, it takes between 10-20 seconds before it even moves--just kind of freezes up for a few. I was ready to chalk it up to my evil computer, but now I have a new one without taint and with great protection, and it's still the same. I'm suspecting that the website is geared to really, really fast computers, and mine is just average.

My laptop at home is old and the response is quick. :(

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Xbox Live dropped this morning. I downloaded it in less than 5 minutes.

The avatars are very Wii like.

I tried to link it to my Netflix account, but the verification site was experiencing a heavy load.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me know how it works for you.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me know how it works for you.

Jason had the beta because he is an MS employee and said it was fantastic, even streaming HD content (Heroes S1, etc).

There are some initial complaints online that some Watch It Now content is not available via X360. It appears Sony is strong arming their content (which is quite a bit of movies and shows) and not making it available via this channel. It is still available via Watch It Now on your PC.

www.hackingnetflix.com

Last edited:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap.

"Netflix just passed 10 million subscribers, adding more than 600,000 net subscribers since January 1st."

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How does Netflix handle your movies if you don't have anything in your queue? If you don't have movies in your queue Blockbuster they won't send anything and won't notify you. When you do add movies they take 3 - 5 business days to ship (in my experience), there is a built in lag for some reason

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does Netflix handle your movies if you don't have anything in your queue? If you don't have movies in your queue Blockbuster they won't send anything and won't notify you. When you do add movies they take 3 - 5 business days to ship (in my experience), there is a built in lag for some reason

Hmmm, not sure. I've always had at least one "Available Now" movie in queue. I'd imagine you'd get an automated email telling you that you had no available movies in your queue.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like returning my movies to Blockbuster and getting another free one immediately.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

With BB you need to make sure to keep "available" movies at the top of your queue. If your top choice has a wait it might not go down the list to your next movie until the next day. Pretty lame.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
there is a lag if your top isn't available

however, if it's completely empty or nearing empty I get e-mail notifications that "my queue needs to be addressed"

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Blockbuster kid at my local store says they have made a change to the Blockbuster service. If you trade in your Online Blockbuster movies for in store movies, they will not ship movies in your queue until you return the in-store movies. Not really a big deal but it messes up the timing a bit if you want movies to arrive by the weekend

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
The Blockbuster kid at my local store says they have made a change to the Blockbuster service. If you trade in your Online Blockbuster movies for in store movies, they will not ship movies in your queue until you return the in-store movies. Not really a big deal but it messes up the timing a bit if you want movies to arrive by the weekend

Good to know. However, it must not be in place yet. I traded in a movie saturday night and they've already shipped my next movie.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Blockbuster thing should be rolled through all stores shortly per some blogs.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Actually, that is a big deal as it lessens how attractive is as opposed to Blockbuster. Basically, you're only saving yourself a few days worth of shipping for your next movie, and limiting your selection to what's actually in the store.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just got the terms of service notification in an e-mail

You'll receive one free in-store movie rental for each online rental sealed in its return mailer, up to your plan's limits. The maximum number of free in-store movie exchanges is based on the plan to which you subscribe. At participating stores, your free in-store exchanges will not have due dates. You can keep them as long as you want without incurring additional fees, as long as you remain a BLOCKBUSTER Total Access subscriber. However, in all cases, any free in-store movie exchanges will count towards how many online rentals you may have out under your plan. Your next online movie will ship after the in-store movie exchange has been returned to the store you rented it from.

jerks!http://consumerist.com/5159847/bloc...enefits-disguises-change-as-no-more-due-dates

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Well, they still have a slight advantage over netflix in that you can drop off your movie in the drop box and they scan it as received, saving yourself one day in the mail. However, they are getting closer to chasing me away.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they still have a slight advantage over netflix in that you can drop off your movie in the drop box and they scan it as received, saving yourself one day in the mail. However, they are getting closer to chasing me away.

Well a lot of post offices scan Netflix envelopes as they come in, decreasing the lag time. Also, there is a distribution cented in the Valley now, so if I drop a movie in the mail on Monday, I get a new one on Wednesday.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Netflix streaming to the PS3! This is what I've been waiting for to the make the switch from BB.

Do any netflix subscribers have any reasons why this might not be as awesome as I'm imagining? I'm assuming they'll have HD content available. How does the quality look with the Xbox? Is there a lag or do you have to wait for anything to load up?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Netflix streaming to the PS3! This is what I've been waiting for to the make the switch from BB.

Do any netflix subscribers have any reasons why this might not be as awesome as I'm imagining? I'm assuming they'll have HD content available. How does the quality look with the Xbox? Is there a lag or do you have to wait for anything to load up?

I have the Roku box which is basically the same as Netflix through your PS3. It works instantly and great as long as you have the necessary bandwidth. The HD shows require more bandwidth.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any netflix subscribers have any reasons why this might not be as awesome as I'm imagining?
Limited content is the only problem I see with it. Though, I have seen some movies and shows I wouldn't have because I've checked into things that I normally wouldn't have because of the limited library (lymelife, Jeckyl, etc...in fact, I highly recommend Jeckyl; it's a BBC tv series...it rocks).

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Limited content is the only problem I see with it. Though, I have seen some movies and shows I wouldn't have because I've checked into things that I normally wouldn't have because of the limited library (lymelife, Jeckyl, etc...in fact, I highly recommend Jeckyl; it's a BBC tv series...it rocks).

BB offered us 2 months of free in-store trades from Nov-Dec so I stuck around. However, I am now officially a netflix subscriber! I absolutely love the recommendation system. Blows BB away. I gave up on BB's recommendations because eventually they would suggest already-seen movies.

My blue-ray disc for the PS3 should arrive on monday, so hopefully the streaming will live up to expectations. I'm not too concerned with a limited selection since my tastes are so varied.