Moving on to other needs in FA

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Now that QB position is filled, let's move into other needs

WR

With the way wide receiver are getting gobbled up, there is slim pickings and better to sign a late prove it deal in June. Eric Decker may be too slow but great in short or medium routes that Bradford likes. Mike Wallace has speed but no hands.

OL

Justin Pugh and Senior Kelemete are available and can be had for moderate price. They will likely keep Iuptai and Veldheer. John Sullivan at center is an option.

TE

Brent Celek and Eifert are there but Cards may look for cheaper alternatives like Gary Barnidge

CB

Breeland could have been a good young quality signing. Likely they will bring back Tramon and sign a prove it deal late July. Interest in DRC?

DL and LB

Cards slipped against the run. They may need to bring in a run stopper on a cheaper deal. Nick Fairely is there too. Would like a flyer in McPhee

Bynes is coming back. Demario Davis can be had

Any others?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like just about all of your suggestions. Good job.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what $$$ are we paying any of the above?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Problem is how much cap room do we have after gobbling up $15-20 mil for Bradford? Weren’t we at $24 mil available

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Pugh wouldn't come at a moderate price. He's a pretty top flight guard and would get paid. Only thing that might lower his price is if he has difficulty passing a physical because of his back injury and had to sign a 1 year prove it deal. If he's available and can pass a physical, I want him him as our starting LG.

I'll add a couple names for now. Will add some more later.

OT - Cameron Fleming 25, 6'6 320lbs, Patriots - He came in and played a game at LT, then later in the season and had 5 consecutive starts at RT to end the season and played lights out. I think he'd make a very capable starter at RT for many years.

TE - Ed Dickson 30, 6'4 255lbs, Panthers - He has ties to this staff and is a very good combo TE that can block and catch. He's shined when he's had to step into starting role in place of Greg Olsen. I think he'd be a great addition as a starter especially since Gresham is coming off an achilles.

LB - NaVorro Bowman 30, 6'0 242lbs, Raiders - High injury concerns but a difference maker if healthy.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is how much cap room do we have after gobbling up $15-20 mil for Bradford? Weren’t we at $24 mil available
Not sure on the cap amount available, but spitballing on what Bradford's contract might look like... if they are going to give him a $10M bonus (spread over 2 years) with a $5M salary this year (with another $5M in incentives, possibly "unlikely to be met"), then a $15M salary and $5M in bonuses next year... that would only entail a $10M cap hit this year. It may be more, it may even be less, but it's probably not $20M.

...dave

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As i mentioned in another thread, i'd like to see the Cardinals get Chargers RFA WR Tyrell Williams. Apparently the Chargers might not match an offer for him, since they have so much money tied up in their WR room between Allen, Mike Williams, Travis Benjamin etc.

Tyrell Williams had 69 catches for 1059 yards and 7 TDs (15.3 average) in his 2nd year, with Allen hurt, and on about half as many targets, managed 43-720-4-16.9 in 2017. He's 6'4", 205#, and ran a 4.43 40 at the Combine. Now entering his 4th year at 26 years old... could be a good outside WR with both height and speed.

...dave

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As i mentioned in another thread, i'd like to see the Cardinals get Chargers RFA WR Tyrell Williams. Apparently the Chargers might not match an offer for him, since they have so much money tied up in their WR room between Allen, Mike Williams, Travis Benjamin etc.

Tyrell Williams had 69 catches for 1059 yards and 7 TDs (15.3 average) in his 2nd year, with Allen hurt, and on about half as many targets, managed 43-720-4-16.9 in 2017. He's 6'4", 205#, and ran a 4.43 40 at the Combine. Now entering his 4th year at 26 years old... could be a good outside WR with both height and speed.

...dave

That is a very good thought, Dave. Is he really a free agent? He is really good. That would be a great signing, in my opinion. Willie Snead from the Saints might be another option since he got the free agent tender, but I like your suggestion more. Actually, they should give both of them a contract offer.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Chad Williams should get a ton of time this year. We need to see what he can do. We just need a cheap #3 guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

...dave

I mentioned this before (that I would make an effort to get him) and as a former charger fan I would love this. He is a fantastic talent and was an UDFA so it would cost us nothing in picks. One of my favourite charger players

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Chad Williams should get a ton of time this year. We need to see what he can do. We just need a cheap #3 guy.

Like Cbus said, we're going to suck anyway, so might as well suck whole hog, eh? Williams was likely a wasted pick. He did nothing last year to inspire confidence.

And do you not want us to have a #1 WR going into the season? We don't have one now. Fitz is, at this point, a #2 at best. Surely you aren't saying any of the rest of the bunch is a #1, are you?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
arz101, good job. But I think we should just concentrate on two positions, OL and WR. If we can fill other needs, all the better, but, imo, we MUST get a WR and an OL guy in FA. And then also address those positions in the Draft.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don’t forget the 5-10 it took to sign Glennon and the rookies we still have to pay

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
what $$$ are we paying any of the above?

Agreed.

The Cardinals have never been big players in the beginning of free agency, and I expect that trend to continue this offseason.

We are not going to hear from the Cardinals, IMHO, until the weekend, and the board meltdown (as it does annually at this time) will be its usual epic situation.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

...dave

In the same vein, I could see the Cardinals going after Cameron Meredith, who was given a original round tender by the Bears, but since he is a free agent there would be no draft pick compensation for signing him.

Meredith has decent size, experience in a McCoy type offense, and knows Mike Glennon.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
love that but the "and knows Mike Glennon" made me puke a little bit, I had forgotten about that for 10 minutes

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
love that but the "and knows Mike Glennon" made me puke a little bit, I had forgotten about that for 10 minutes

Just use the same puke bag you probably had for Drew Stanton, and its like it never happened, just continuing on as normal. LOL

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Like Cbus said, we're going to suck anyway, so might as well suck whole hog, eh? Williams was likely a wasted pick. He did nothing last year to inspire confidence.

And do you not want us to have a #1 WR going into the season? We don't have one now. Fitz is, at this point, a #2 at best. Surely you aren't saying any of the rest of the bunch is a #1, are you?

We don’t have the room. Also there is no #1 left unless we draft Ridley so we will 100% go into the season without another competent Starting WR besides Fitz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort