MCU: Thor: Ragnarok

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... besides their just pitch perfect casting decisions, what Marvel nails better than almost any superhero universe is getting the touches of humor just right.

"I know him from work" is an absolutely classic line, especially in that ridiculous setting.

I am excited (while being a little weary) of Marvel's Spidey reboot, super stoked for Guardians 2, but for some reason, this is the movie I'm looking for to in their universe more than the others this year. Hulk and Thor are such a good pair together. I hope it's more than just a brief portion of the movie.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
third time I watched that trailer today...still gives me chills... this is going to redefine epic

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... besides their just pitch perfect casting decisions, what Marvel nails better than almost any superhero universe is getting the touches of humor just right.

"I know him from work" is an absolutely classic line, especially in that ridiculous setting.

I am excited (while being a little weary) of Marvel's Spidey reboot, super stoked for Guardians 2, but for some reason, this is the movie I'm looking for to in their universe more than the others this year. Hulk and Thor are such a good pair together. I hope it's more than just a brief portion of the movie.

It feels like Guardians of the Galaxy in tone for me which if true might make the best THOR movie yet.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seems like every time DC has a big announcement Marvel steals the show.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ha! Man, Marvel just kicks DC's ass in every way shape or form.

I can't wait for this movie. The "YEAHHHHH!!! I know him, he's a friend from work!" is such a funny line in this context.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's really not that hard. I mean the main tonal difference I see between the two worlds is that DC seems to take everything so damn seriously. Marvel on the other hand seems to know that you can combine badassery with humor.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a long time ago (mid 70's?) There was a storyline where Hela was chasing Thor around because she had determined it was his time to die. At the last moment, Odin steps in and slays Hela. Thor then begs his father to resurrect her, as without death, the universe would be destroyed under the weight of life (no death). Knowing that resurrecting her would result in the death of his son, he nevertheless does so to save the universe. Hela, seeing the horrific sacrifice Odin made for the sake of the universe, grants Thor a stay in his death to sometime in the future.

Is this basically what is happening in this movie, or is Hela simply a badass?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thor: Ragnarok

Release date: November 3, 2017 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX)
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios
Director: Taika Waititi
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and brief suggestive material)
Screenwriters: Christopher Yost, Craig Kyle, Stephany Folsom
Genre: Action, Adventure

Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Mark Ruffalo, Anthony Hopkins, Cate Blanchett, Jeff Goldblum, Tessa Thompson, Karl Urban, Sam Neill, Benedict Cumberbatch

Plot Summary: In Marvel Studios’ "Thor: Ragnarok," Thor will arrive in Asgard after hearing about trouble in his home world, and when he arrives he finds Loki’s style of ruling (while impersonating Odin) has led to some lapses in the rules and leads to the freeing of prisoner Hela. Thor and Hela naturally come to blows when they meet, which sees Thor “blasted” to Sakaar, described as “a barbaric planet ruled by the charming but nefarious Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum).” There he meets Valkyrie, who is hiding out on the planet, and brings him to the Grandmaster to make him a gladiator, where he meets the most popular competitor in the arena, The Hulk, and loses his trademark hair and hammer.

"Thor: Ragnarok" will feature the return of Chris Hemsworth as the God of Thunder himself, with Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk, Idris Elba as Heimdall and Sir Anthony Hopkins again portraying Odin. Cate Blanchett plays the mysterious and powerful new villain Hela, Jeff Goldblum stars as the eccentric Grandmaster, Tessa Thompson will bring the classic hero Valkyrie to life, and Karl Urban will add his might to the fray as Skurge.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Have only seen one movie since my son was born 15 months ago but I will definitely be making a trip to see this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson