MCU: Thor: Ragnarok

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this movie is as good as being said because the THOR movies have been the weakest in the Marvel verse.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing this Sunday with my bride and sister in law..... We are all soooooooooooooo stoked!!!!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Saw it last night. I had heard so much about how this might be the best Marvel movie ever, so while I was stoked to see it, I was braced for a bit of a letdown. I did like it a lot, and it had great parts to it, but I was a bit let down. VERY uneven, and...well, the other comments are vague, but still a bit spoiler-y, so I'll protect them.

Overall a really good movie, but not at all top 5 Marvel material.

While I loved a lot of the comedy, there was just way, way too much comedy. Definitely tipped the scale. The action in the big set pieces was a bit too CGI and easy to survive for the main characters.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Saw it last night. I had heard so much about how this might be the best Marvel movie ever, so while I was stoked to see it, I was braced for a bit of a letdown. I did like it a lot, and it had great parts to it, but I was a bit let down. VERY uneven, and...well, the other comments are vague, but still a bit spoiler-y, so I'll protect them.

Overall a really good movie, but not at all top 5 Marvel material.

While I loved a lot of the comedy, there was just way, way too much comedy. Definitely tipped the scale. The action in the big set pieces was a bit too CGI and easy to survive for the main characters.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but the Thor movies have always had an over-reliance on CGI, whether good or bad. And the reviews have been stellar DESPITE the fact that it is probably the most comedic Marvel film so far--even more than Guardians was.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I’d classify it as a comedy before action. I mean 3/4 of the movie they’re standin around rippin off one liners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lots of goodness in this movie. Best Marvel movie ever? Probably not, but close to the top 5, definitely top 10 to me.

Definitely the best of the three Thor's and more GotG than Avengers.
Hulk was awesome as was Goldblum as Grandmaster. Scourge was solid the first half with some good lines. Blanchett was solid as Hella. Thompson just didn't seem to fit her roll. Felt like she was over acting at times.

But....

I'll agree with Stout, there was probably too many one-liners. To the point you knew what they were going to say.

The CG was fine, but there were a couple scenes that were not good. Not enough to distract from the movie by any means though.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I loved it, certainly near the top of the list of MCU for me with Guardians.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good, not great.

Think it gets a high tomameter rating because it doesn't really take big chances, but is just really enjoyable fluff, which is hard to knock in an aggregator rating system.

Stout

Reaction score
Good, not great.

Think it gets a high tomameter rating because it doesn't really take big chances, but is just really enjoyable fluff, which is hard to knock in an aggregator rating system.

Also a good review, and a good way of putting it. My friend felt it was a cartoon. We both agreed it was choppy and uneven. "Enjoyable fluff" is also spot on, an explains those inexplicable reviews.

It's falling down the list of Marvel movies for me. I certainly think the first Thor movie was better, now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also a good review, and a good way of putting it. My friend felt it was a cartoon. We both agreed it was choppy and uneven. "Enjoyable fluff" is also spot on, an explains those inexplicable reviews.

It's falling down the list of Marvel movies for me. I certainly think the first Thor movie was better, now.

Cotton Candy is the best way I can describe it. Sugary sweet, goes down easy but disappears almost immediately. Which is fine with me... not every comic book movie has to reinvent the wheel.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We really liked it. Not the best Marvel movie to date but the best THOR to date IMO. Felt "Guardians" or ANTMAN like in terms of humor to me which is OK because those are some of my favorites. I think by far the THOR movies have been the weakest in the "verse" so it was nice to see a Marvel film not take itself too seriously.

I don't think the the term fluff is fair. Maybe filler is more accurate. It was definitely a standalone adventure which I think helped the movie not be bogged down by all of these interconnecting pieces which even in the really good Marvel films sometimes it feels like it over complicates those movies.

Highly recommend and worth it. Marvel just continues to knock these out of the park IMO.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We really liked it. Not the best Marvel movie to date but the best THOR to date IMO. Felt "Guardians" or ANTMAN like in terms of humor to me which is OK because those are some of my favorites. I think by far the THOR movies have been the weakest in the "verse" so it was nice to see a Marvel film not take itself too seriously.

I don't think the the term fluff is fair. Maybe filler is more accurate. It was definitely a standalone adventure which I think helped the movie not be bogged own by all of these interconnecting pieces which even in the really good Marvel films sometimes it feels like it over complicates those movies.

Highly recommend and worth it. Marvel just continues to knock these out of the park IMO.
I pretty much agree with this. I also thought that the villain in this movie was one of the better villains that Marvel has produced -- probably top 5, arguably top 3. Cate Blanchett looked amazing.

I am just blown away at how good Marvel is at making movies and how horribly bad they are at TV.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with this. I also thought that the villain in this movie was one of the better villains that Marvel has produced -- probably top 5, arguably top 3. Cate Blanchett looked amazing.

I am just blown away at how good Marvel is at making movies and how horribly bad they are at TV.

Oh..good point. I didn't even mention Cate Blanchett. That can't be overlooked. My BIGGEST complaint about Marvel movies is how weak all the villains have been. She definitely is one of the best villains to date.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I thought it was corny like the other two with better special effects. Definitely your typical overrated Marvel flick.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My opinion isn't based on earnings. I think DCEU is getting so cringeworthy that we pump up Marvel.

Overrated to me is when a ton of people see the movie and it drops like a rock to the bottom of the ocean because everyone sees through the hype. I really don't think the DCEU impacts Marvel at all. Wonder Woman was pretty damn good and not cringe worthy at all.

Stout

Reaction score
Overrated to me is when a ton of people see the movie and it drops like a rock to the bottom of the ocean because everyone sees through the hype. I really don't think the DCEU impacts Marvel at all. Wonder Woman was pretty damn good and not cringe worthy at all.

Makes sense for you, definitely. I see what his point was, though. Lots of critics and fans are doing the 'ermagersh, it's perfect!' thing, and some of us think it was over-hyped and overrated, based on the final product. It just fell so flat to me, with tons of forced humor that killed it for me when the good humor came along. Just a really uneven movie, and a criminal under-use of a great villain. Definitely like the first Thor better, though I definitely still mostly enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense for you, definitely. I see what his point was, though. Lots of critics and fans are doing the 'ermagersh, it's perfect!' thing, and some of us think it was over-hyped and overrated, based on the final product. It just fell so flat to me, with tons of forced humor that killed it for me when the good humor came along. Just a really uneven movie, and a criminal under-use of a great villain. Definitely like the first Thor better, though I definitely still mostly enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok.

OK, so a movie that is getting in the high 90's is really in the high 80's for you or something is still not overrated if it's still a good movie. Maybe if you thought it sucked but even then the statement above was a general statement about the MCU not just this movie. Also, I still don't think because DCEU movie A sucks people go well this below average MCU movie is now great to me. That's a stretch and Marvel kicked off this entire connected universe thing not the other way around.

The MCU overall has been high quality films to date.

This is coming from someone who was a huge DC fan growing up and probably only paid attention to Spiderman or Hulk when it came to Marvel. Much bigger DC fan that at least shared the sentiment that DC fans deserve better but WW was a start.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just because a movie has a high Rotten Tomatoes rating doesn't mean everyone thinks it's "perfect". You are reaching, as you tend to do.

Stout

Reaction score
Just because a movie has a high Rotten Tomatoes rating doesn't mean everyone thinks it's "perfect". You are reaching, as you tend to do.

Read the reviews. Lots of people are simply raving about this movie. And it's called hyperbole, Chap. You're parsing words again, as you tend to do ;)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Read the reviews. Lots of people are simply raving about this movie. And it's called hyperbole, Chap. You're parsing words again, as you tend to do ;)
I find it mildly amusing that you trust people that are "raving" about it. IMDB has Shawshank #1 and Dark Knight and Fight Club in their top 10 movies OF ALL TIME. LOL

Stout

Reaction score
I find it mildly amusing that you trust people that are "raving" about it. IMDB has Shawshank #1 and Dark Knight and Fight Club in their top 10 movies OF ALL TIME. LOL

I clearly wasn't making a RT comment, but a comment on critics and viewers. IMO they're just way overrating this movie.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty good but I didn't ever feel like; this is GREAT! It was a romp forsure and I laughed a lot. Literally everything about Jeff Goldblum made me laugh. He was frickin hilarious.

Some of it just didn't land for me, the end got really flimsy... I feel a lot about it like I did with GOTG2.

So I recommend it, fun movie, lots of laughs, 7/10

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say this movie had one of my favorite moments to date in any Marvel film. The Bruce Banner “leap to the rescue” for those that watched this was awesome.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard