Luther (BBC)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you guys haven't seen this show, you are missing out. It is a BBC show (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon) about a cop (Idris Elba) who has his own demons that he is working through while solving brutal crimes. He is fan-freaking-sastic in it. You will thank me later.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this and tons of other UK shows (saved on external hard drives). Love UK shows.

The US remake is on hold, or so I've heard. I hope it never sees the light of day. Sick of all of the UK remakes. Just show the original shows and come up with original shows of your own, IMHO.

Luther remake: why is Fox making a knockoff when it can import the real thing?

Already have had failed remakes of Skins, The Inbetweeners, etc.

Shameless, House of Cards, Being Human, Veep, Sirens, etc. are all remakes of UK shows that were promoted as "original programming" here in the States. :rolleyes:

Utopia is now being remade too. At least it has David Fincher involved so there is some hope for that show, IMHO. Wish the original would have continued beyond two series (aka seasons in the US).

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this and tons of other UK shows (saved on external hard drives). Love UK shows.

The US remake is on hold, or so I've heard. I hope it never sees the light of day. Sick of all of the UK remakes. Just show the original shows and come up with original shows of your own, IMHO.

Luther remake: why is Fox making a knockoff when it can import the real thing?

Already have had failed remakes of Skins, The Inbetweeners, etc.

Shameless, House of Cards, Being Human, Veep, Sirens, etc. are all remakes of UK shows that were promoted as "original programming" here in the States. :rolleyes:

Utopia is now being remade too. At least it has David Fincher involved so there is some hope for that show, IMHO. Wish the original would have continued beyond two series (aka seasons in the US).

I hope the remake is on hold permanently. I liked House of Cards. It was done right and deserved to be remade. I don't like the idea of it Luther from what I heard though.

Now if they want to remake The IT Crowd, I'm all over that.

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the UK/BBC shows... Broadchurch, The Fall, Happy Valley, Hinterland... couple more I can't remember right now.

Haven't gotten to Sherlock yet. Will check out Luther, too.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Started watching this on your suggestion. I am 4 episodes in and I love it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I love the UK/BBC shows... Broadchurch, The Fall, Happy Valley, Hinterland... couple more I can't remember right now.

Haven't gotten to Sherlock yet. Will check out Luther, too.

I liked Broadchurch, but see no reason to watch a second season of it. It seemed to tie up quite nicely to me. I really want to check out Luther.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I liked Broadchurch, but see no reason to watch a second season of it. It seemed to tie up quite nicely to me. I really want to check out Luther.

Broadchurch was excellent and so is the show with Gillian Anderson....I don't think there will be a second season of Broadchurch every bow was tied in the finale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second season of Broadchurch is underway. There was a loose end that wasn't tied up and this season has twists and turns stemming from season 1. As good as the first one, imo.

I love Scottish accents and could listen to DI Hardy all day.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was the loose end?

His prior case that he supposedly lost by ineptitude, why he was labeled the worst cop in Britain and ended up in the sticks (Broadchurch) The so called open and shut case of Joe miller turns out to not quite be that way... etc

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stout

Reaction score
Broadchurch was excellent and so is the show with Gillian Anderson....I don't think there will be a second season of Broadchurch every bow was tied in the finale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, Broadchurch season 2 is about 3 episodes in.

Second season of Broadchurch is underway. There was a loose end that wasn't tied up and this season has twists and turns stemming from season 1. As good as the first one, imo.

I love Scottish accents and could listen to DI Hardy all day.

I wondered what these loose ends were you could be speaking of.

His prior case that he supposedly lost by ineptitude, why he was labeled the worst cop in Britain and ended up in the sticks (Broadchurch) The so called open and shut case of Joe miller turns out to not quite be that way... etc

To me, these aren't loose ends. They're generated excuses for a second series that shouldn't be made. For Joe Miller's case, the only reason it isn't open and shut is because they manipulated it that way after the fact to make a second season. Also, going back to investigate the character's past isn't a loose end. It's reaching, IMO. I tried the first bit of the first episode, and I didn't get into it. And I LOVE that actress from Torchwood.

Anyway, the real reason why I stopped by is to curse you all for putting Luther back into my head. I binge watched the first two seasons yesterday because of it :)

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched the first couple episodes of Luther last night... great show, imo. Luther is just completely whack-o as the the villainess.

I love binge watching shows but I also hate it. When I binge watch it's over too quickly.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Danish TV series are worth watching also (Eng Subtitles) such as Wallander, The Killing, The Bridge and Borgen. Each of the TV series listed above are outstanding in their own right.

I loved watching Krister Henriksson playing the role of Kurt Wallander, the series is outstanding. Wallander (Swedish pronunciation: [valˈlanːdər]) is a Swedish television series adapted from Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander novels, starring Krister Henriksson in the title role. The 1st series of 13 films was produced in 2005 and 2006, with one taken directly from a novel and the remainder with new storylines suggested by Mankell. The 2nd series of 13 films was shown between 2009 and 2010. The stories are set in Ystad, Scania near the southern tip of Sweden.

A third and final season, containing six 90 minute episodes, aired in 2013 with Charlotta Jonsson replacing the late Johanna Sällström as Linda Wallander.[1] The first episode, adapted from the novel The Troubled Man, was released in cinemas in January 2013.[2]

The BBC aired all 32 episodes of the Swedish television versions on BBC Four.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
This was one of those shows I kept meaning to watch, but continually put off. When I heard Season 4 was upcoming I started watching last weekend. Finally finished. Great series, and amazing characters. Glad I binge-watched because there was a big drop off from the first season to the first couple of episodes in season 2, but it recovered nicely.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read a 3 hour Luther aired on BBC on Wed the 17th. A one night, 3 hour show. Anyone see this? I did a search on Directv and it didn't show up.

Stout

Reaction score
I just read a 3 hour Luther aired on BBC on Wed the 17th. A one night, 3 hour show. Anyone see this? I did a search on Directv and it didn't show up.

Oh hell yeah, I saw it! Granted, it was full of commercials, but also packed with the show--the first two episodes of the season, although the story was seamless. Yeah, Luther is back in a big, bad way. Just as good as it used to be.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh hell yeah, I saw it! Granted, it was full of commercials, but also packed with the show--the first two episodes of the season, although the story was seamless. Yeah, Luther is back in a big, bad way. Just as good as it used to be.

It's gotta rerun at some point. Please let me know if you catch when it's on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson