'Los Suns' jerseys set for Cinco de Mayo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Devils

Rookie
Reaction score
This is total crap. 1st of all $arver & Kerr don't even live here, they are primary residents of San Diego. 2nd how does the opinion of multimillionaire's in their gated N Scottsdale Community know anything in regards to dealing with illegal’s. They live with their sheltered lives while middle class citizens flip the bill and confront this problem on a daily basis. I am so torn as to the feelings of watching them as it is a total lose/lose. It has totally taken the joy of watching this game away. I will probably be happy if they win tonight but if they were to lose, will probably smirk and think take that $arver and put it in your Liberal pipe and smoke it. I will not spend $1 to attend or purchase Suns merchandise or tickets. I will follow them like the Diamondbacks to whom I received a call from the their ticket office and I told them the same thing when ownership stated they were against this bill.

OP
OP
Bufalay

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As long as Nash and Barbosa aren't deported before the game I think they'll be ok.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Guys, calm down. Because of Cinco de Mayo, don't you think they'd wear the jerseys regardless of the controversy? I do.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
This is total crap. 1st of all $arver & Kerr don't even live here, they are primary residents of San Diego. 2nd how does the opinion of multimillionaire's in their gated N Scottsdale Community know anything in regards to dealing with illegal’s. They live with their sheltered lives while middle class citizens flip the bill and confront this problem on a daily basis. I am so torn as to the feelings of watching them as it is a total lose/lose. It has totally taken the joy of watching this game away. I will probably be happy if they win tonight but if they were to lose, will probably smirk and think take that $arver and put it in your Liberal pipe and smoke it. I will not spend $1 to attend or purchase Suns merchandise or tickets. I will follow them like the Diamondbacks to whom I received a call from the their ticket office and I told them the same thing when ownership stated they were against this bill.

Let's not debate the bill or the economic impact... let's debate the timing for this decision.

BTW, Kerr is on KTAR right now - first question he was asked... wearing Los Suns uniforms!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, I really like the statement that Sarver (and his people) crafted. It comes down firmly against the impact of the bill while acknowledging the need for action. Even if you're in favor of the bill it's less likely to offend you.

As for the timing, I suspect he was trying to head off the controversy that was clearly rising before this team hits San Antonio. It may still be a focal point but the groups that want to promote opposition to this law won't be able to work up the masses against the team. Now, when they get asked these questions it's a much more civil conversation. IMO, it's a much better distraction than the one they were likely to soon face. And once the game starts it won't be a rallying cry for the opposition fans.

Steve

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
I think some people are looking at this the wrong way. First, today is Cinco de Mayo, a holiday celebrated in even the most jingoistic American towns. The Los Suns jersey was probably going to be worn today anyway.

Second, the jerseys are part of Herr Stern's globalization scheme ($$$), so he is probably loving it. Anything the Suns can do to get on Stern's good side is a positive.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some people are looking at this the wrong way. First, today is Cinco de Mayo, a holiday celebrated in even the most jingoistic American towns. The Los Suns jersey was probably going to be worn today anyway.

Second, the jerseys are part of Herr Stern's globalization scheme ($$$), so he is probably loving it. Anything the Suns can do to get on Stern's good side is a positive.

Actually, are you sure about the holiday being celebrated across the country? I'm not saying you're wrong but I just assumed that was primarily a western states celebration. I have a hard time picturing the small towns in Wisconsin doing it but I just don't know.

You're probably right about them planning to do this all along and given the current climate they really had no choice but to link it to the immigration law. It would have been a PR catastrophe to just trot out the jerseys and pretend the law did not exist.

Steve

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Dude, easy, Sarver isn't a liberal, he contributed over 100k to McCains campaign in 2008.

I also loved our genius governers quote which was something like; '...I asked the president for help but we got nothing from him so we just had to do what we could to make a bill.' Good old AZ politicians, fail completely and then blame it on the president, whether he be dem or rep. lol

I dont have a problem with the Suns doing it, I think it's a stupid bill too, but I agree with the OP and I question the timing. I would rather see us be 100% focused on the Spurs but then again here's more food for thought. Perhaps a little distraction is good for the Suns at this point given the tremendous mental headlock the Spurs have had us in for so long. I'd rather see Steve distracted by talking about this than worrying about ways this series can go wrong, again. Just throwin that out there.

Regardless I think it will have very little impact on the team or the game. Plus aren't we like 5-0 in the Los Suns jerseys? lol

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There's already a thread on this subject on the Suns board. There's also another thread in P&R. Do we really need more? Seems like it's a bigger distraction to some fans than it is to the team. I don't think it will affect their performance in any way, though should they lose people will be quick to jump to that conclusion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather our players answers questions about something that has nothing to do with the game than giving up any possible adjustments (Amare giving up KT starting back in 2007) or giving bulletin board material (Dudley saying we want Portland/Jefferson is lost out there). If you think the focus outside of these interviews is anything but "we need to kill the Spurs", you're fooling yourself.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
To the OP's point (and not getting into other parts of this topic covered in other threads), I disagree. I think it's a smart biz move by Sarver with the right timing.

From his comments, I really do not get the sense this was business motivated...he seemed very specific and clear in his ethical/moral objections to the law, which I can respect. He also checked with the players and the org leaders (Kerr, et al) before moving forward. He wouldn't do that if it were just a business decision. However, I do think it is smart for business for a number of reasons.

Like someone else said, this prevents the Suns from being the 'bad guys' in the playoffs, both in this series and future ones if they advance. It heads off any negative national media attention toward the team. At this point, they are being pretty widely praised for the move, not criticized.

It also aligns with the NBA's long-standing support for ethnic and global diversity. And the NBA's global expansion goals. It aligns with the Players Association stance, which is smart with the upcoming CBA. It acknowledges the business realities for the team, given that a large and growing portion of their fanbase is Latino.

Could it become a distraction that negatively impacts play on the court? Sure, there is that risk. But sometimes you have to step up and act regardless. I think that's what happened here. And I have faith this current Suns roster will not be distracted. They all said they were cool with it. They have great chemistry. They will show up and play for each other and their fans like always. It's going to be tough to beat the Spurs, but I do not think this is the reason they win or lose.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's already a thread on this subject on the Suns board. There's also another thread in P&R. Do we really need more? Seems like it's a bigger distraction to some fans than it is to the team. I don't think it will affect their performance in any way, though should they lose people will be quick to jump to that conclusion.

I agree. They will lose because they either didn't compete to the level of their opponent or they lose to a better team tonight.
I support the move and either now or in the next couple of weeks (if they advance) they will have to address it in town or at an opponent's arena.
Although the decision starts with Sarver, but i will assume the players were consulted and it looks like the players were all for it. So lets not act like Sarver forced it on the whole organization.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is brilliant timing - after all, now Stern wouldn't DARE have the refs give the game to SA now, would he?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think it is brilliant timing - after all, now Stern wouldn't DARE have the refs give the game to SA now, would he?

lol The check is already in the mail dude, he cant turn back now.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey you kids, get off my lawn!!

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Actually, are you sure about the holiday being celebrated across the country? I'm not saying you're wrong but I just assumed that was primarily a western states celebration. I have a hard time picturing the small towns in Wisconsin doing it but I just don't know.

I didn't actually indicate "across the country"...however it's funny you picked Wisconsin: I was at La Perla in Milwaukee on May 5th some years ago and they were having a huge Cinco de Mayo bash. The place was packed with white people who had probably never seen a Mexican up close and they were whooping it up with the margaritas. Or maybe I used the term "celebrated" too loosely. My point is that if the Los Suns jersey turns off your average redneck in middle America, he is probably a hypocrite.

Not a small town, I know, but I didn't specify that in the first place. :D

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the proverbial molehill into a mountain. It is freaking Cinco de Drinko. Half the state is going to be drinking mexican beer and eating mexican food. Who gives a crap if they stick a Los in front of their jerseys?

All I care about is beating the Spurs.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This is the proverbial molehill into a mountain. It is freaking Cinco de Drinko. Half the state is going to be drinking mexican beer and eating mexican food. Who gives a crap if they stick a Los in front of their jerseys?

All I care about is beating the Spurs.

Preach on Colonel. TRUTH

illone

Reaction score
I wish they sold "Los Suns" in the Stat jersey.

I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
found this on another forum I post on and really wanted to share. I think anyone going to the game tonight should do this.

Think about this. What would the Suns organization do if 2,000 people entered US Airways Center without tickets and just sat themselves in whatever seat they wanted? They could sit courtside, in suites, or heck the upper deck would be perfect because no one wants those seats. They should demand free popcorn, soda, beer, hot dogs, you name it. Heck, they could sit on the bench. I'm sure these ultra-conscious players wouldn't mind giving up their seat on the bench (yeah right). When they're asked for their tickets they should scream bloody murder that it's not fair and they're just trying to seek better entertainment for their families. I'd love to see someone sit in Robert Sarver or Steve Kerr's seat. I'm sure they wouldn't mind one bit.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
found this on another forum I post on and really wanted to share. I think anyone going to the game tonight should do this.

Think about this. What would the Suns organization do if 2,000 people entered US Airways Center without tickets and just sat themselves in whatever seat they wanted? They could sit courtside, in suites, or heck the upper deck would be perfect because no one wants those seats. They should demand free popcorn, soda, beer, hot dogs, you name it. Heck, they could sit on the bench. I'm sure these ultra-conscious players wouldn't mind giving up their seat on the bench (yeah right). When they're asked for their tickets they should scream bloody murder that it's not fair and they're just trying to seek better entertainment for their families. I'd love to see someone sit in Robert Sarver or Steve Kerr's seat. I'm sure they wouldn't mind one bit.

Ignorant analogy there.

Asking to see your ticket at the door of a ticketed sporting event is not racial profiling. Everyone in attendance has to show their "papers".

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, at the risk of forcing someone to move this to the politics board I have to point out the absurdity of this comparison. How many people that take issue with this law do so because they are in favor of illegal immigration? I suspect very few. Nothing in this example covers the issues that most people object to, in my very uninformed opinion.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard