Let's be honest, the O Line is the problem

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
Is Josh great? No.
I Warner the answer? No.

The problem is the O Line. Defenses only have to prepare for the passing game. The red zone offense needs a running game to succeed.

Big Ben is perfect example of how a great running can greatly benefit a QB. He is able to run the play action pass in the red zone and his TE or WR are usually wide open.

Leinart, Bush, or Young would fail with this team because of the line play.

The Cards O line is almost as bad as the Texans O Line. Sure hope that Lindsay is not back next year as the O Line coach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really think we need to fire Lindsay AND Blow up the OL again this offseason.

I think we need to upgrade at both LG and C, RT hopefully a healthy Ross can solve it next year if not upgrade their too.

Step is our best C but he's not all that good, I watched Ohio State saturday and the guy who replaced him is much better, they even said the coaches told them that he's much more athletic than Step, who they said was more of a "battler".

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Bingo.

What the Titans threw at the Cards offense yesterday is the same thing Carolina did in the last quarter that game --

big deep zone, dropping seven and making sure that Fitz and Boldin are always bracketed. Mix in the occasional blitz, particularly for any 3rd down longer than 7 yards.

No running game to make a team pay for playing 7, and sometimes only 6 in the box.

Expect the same from the Cowboys. 4 defensive players will be assigned to Fitz and Boldin. Bryant Johnson, Charles Lee, somebody is going to have to step up in the passing game.

spanky1

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

I think we need to upgrade at both LG and C, RT hopefully a healthy Ross can solve it next year if not upgrade their too.

Step is our best C but he's not all that good, I watched Ohio State saturday and the guy who replaced him is much better, they even said the coaches told them that he's much more athletic than Step, who they said was more of a "battler".

Russ,

Step will be OK going forward. He isn't the problem here. The way I see it is LG and RT are the weak links. Fortunately the draft is deep at both position in '06......but having said this we will have to live with Ross for at least another year. Max-Jean Giles would be a solid pick at LG with our #1 pick.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think that Ross would be solid at the Guard position. I never thought that he would be much of a RT.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Russ,

Step will be OK going forward. He isn't the problem here. The way I see it is LG and RT are the weak links. Fortunately the draft is deep at both position in '06......but having said this we will have to live with Ross for at least another year. Max-Jean Giles would be a solid pick at LG with our #1 pick.

I like Giles too, not sure he's a first rounder he's got the same issue Brown has with his weight.

I really like Mangold from Ohio State though he's much better than Step. Step plays hurt, he's very smart, very competitive, but I am convinced he's nothing more than a below average starter.

Wolfley pointed out yesterday that Step was consistently unable to handle the speed of the Titans DL. There was one play yesterday where Wolfley said Step was visibly pissed off and he said he didn't know what Step was complaining about the entire play was blown up because Step missed HIS block.

Both Wolfley and Pasch said Step had a terrible game yesterday, maybe I'm just reacting to their comments.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Step will be OK going forward. He isn't the problem here. The way I see it is LG and RT are the weak links.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Every running play usually starts with Step missing his block or getting blown backwards. That's why Marcell was so pissed and yelling at the o-line after his first 2 carries. This is his 2nd year already - he apparently is just not strong enough.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
The whole OL is the problem. Not a one of them is on the same page as the other guy next to them. No one passes off their blocks on stunts, its almost like each guy is playing by themselves instead of playing like a cohesive unit. If they just play more like a unit this squad would be at the least average instead of putrid.

DCCardsFan

Rookie
Reaction score
The offensive line has been the offense's major problem for ten-twelve years. Despite some high picks and one good free agent signing (Kendall), it's been a bunch of stiffs for years. The one decent tackle we had besides Big was Lomas Brown, whom we let go.

For a long time it was: "We can't run the ball and we can't stop the run."

At least now it's only "We can't run the ball."

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
DCCardsFan said:
The offensive line has been the offense's major problem for ten-twelve years. Despite some high picks and one good free agent signing (Kendall), it's been a bunch of stiffs for years. The one decent tackle we had besides Big was Lomas Brown, whom we let go.

For a long time it was: "We can't run the ball and we can't stop the run."

At least now it's only "We can't run the ball."

Since taking Coleman and Dye 1 and 2 in 1993 the Cards have drafted only 4 Olinemen in the first three rounds. They have taken a bunch of guys in round 4. It's almost like the Cards War Room goes "hey it's our fourth round pick time to take an offensive lineman."

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Toro said:
Is Josh great? No.
I Warner the answer? No.

The problem is the O Line. Defenses only have to prepare for the passing game. The red zone offense needs a running game to succeed.

Big Ben is perfect example of how a great running can greatly benefit a QB. He is able to run the play action pass in the red zone and his TE or WR are usually wide open.

Leinart, Bush, or Young would fail with this team because of the line play.

The Cards O line is almost as bad as the Texans O Line. Sure hope that Lindsay is not back next year as the O Line coach.

The OL is a real problem without question. That is however not the only problem and will not solve all problems. We have no idea if our RB's can run no matter how good our offensive line. We have no idea if either of our QB's would be good behind any offensive line. We have a problem in our defensive secondary. We have a problem with a lack of a TE. This is a real team sport and you need competent or better to be in the middle of the pack. You need more than competent players and good coaching to be a playoff team.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Do we have a rushing TD this year?

No No No and No
I wonder what the record is for a team to not score a running TD?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
DeAnna said:
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Every running play usually starts with Step missing his block or getting blown backwards. That's why Marcell was so pissed and yelling at the o-line after his first 2 carries. This is his 2nd year already - he apparently is just not strong enough.

If it is true he cannot long snap so the QB can get into the gun then he sucks. One of three things are going on here: (1) Josh is not comfortable in the gun (2) The center cannot snap into the gun (3) The coach is an idiot and will not even try the gun in the face of continued rushes in the QB's face. This was going on last year also.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Since taking Coleman and Dye 1 and 2 in 1993 the Cards have drafted only 4 Olinemen in the first three rounds. They have taken a bunch of guys in round 4. It's almost like the Cards War Room goes "hey it's our fourth round pick time to take an offensive lineman."

our war room now apparently consist of DG.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
If it is true he cannot long snap so the QB can get into the gun then he sucks. One of three things are going on here: (1) Josh is not comfortable in the gun (2) The center cannot snap into the gun (3) The coach is an idiot and will not even try the gun in the face of continued rushes in the QB's face. This was going on last year also.

Step had a hand injury and presumably still can't long snap. That's why they've used Wells at C in shotgun formations.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Step had a hand injury and presumably still can't long snap. That's why they've used Wells at C in shotgun formations.

Didn't McCown play a good amount of Shotgun in college.

On the O-Line our biggest problem is Step. He is too slow, too weak, and unable to make line calls. He needs to let the rest of the line know what's up and what to do on D-Lione shifts. He just looks lost. Wells has played pretty well all year, so I don't see how people can say he is a bigger problem than Step on the O-Line.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:

On the O-Line our biggest problem is Step. He is too slow, too weak, and unable to make line calls. He needs to let the rest of the line know what's up and what to do on D-Lione shifts. He just looks lost. Wells has played pretty well all year, so I don't see how people can say he is a bigger problem than Step on the O-Line.

I'm a believer in Wells as our Center.

Move Wells to center, Ross to Guard and get someone really good to fill Wells spot and start Wakefield and let him get used to the job.

Step is a lost cause IMO. He's hurt, so that explains the problem playing but not the line calls.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:

I'm not a Step fan either but I'm curious on the linecalls I didn't know that was a problem for him this year? Step is a VERY bright kid, that and his competitive nature(former wrestler) is supposedly what Green liked about him. So if he can't make linecalls still I gotta wonder is the problem him, or the coaching?

I'd prefer to upgrade at C but I'm not sure Wells is the answer moving to C, he's more athletic than Step but there's a big difference between the occasional snap, and playing C full time.

Yes Sam Houston State played in a system similar to Utah last year, they were in the shotgun the vast majority of plays so if the reason we don't use it is Josh, something is wrong, he played in it a TON his last year of college. Pretty sure it's because they don't want to rotate Step and Wells at C and G depending on the shotgun.

cardsfan22

Rookie
Reaction score
I think Big D needs to move back inside. I dont think he has the feet to play the LT spot.He is a big Maller type of player that should be on the inside. Ross did not impress me at all early this year. I know he was hurt in the early part of training camp,but i think he came to AZ for a paycheck.Step i think is ok. He did not get a chance to 2 do to much this training camp,but unlike Ross, he is a man and wants to help his team anyway he can. This team needs to go hard in free agency and sign atleast 2 players, and they need to draft an o-linemen in the first 2 rounds.

Reaction score
How the heck would any of us know whether Step is making the right line calls or not?? Yeah, that includes you to BigDavis75, I'm fairly certain that your given name is not Leonard!! :trout:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Josh or Kurt would look good with a run game.

Which for me is saying a lot on Josh. He has definately improved his game.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

The thing is that the OL is all about continuity and working as a unit. If we keep blowing it up, that could be part of the problem. But then again, you could say the that growing pains of blowing it up again would be bearable if you knew the end result would be atleast solid unit.

I don't Ross think has a future as a T. Seeing him get abused was a nightmare. If he is going to be apart of this franchise in the future it would have to be at guard IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn