Let’s Play GM

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is funny is that no one is viewing the Texans as the example of how this can work with a rookie QB. If we are luck enough to be in a position to draft Maye, you can be a competitive team. You can find Nico Collins, Robert Woods, Noah Brown, George Fant, etc in FA. You just need a QB to elevate them. Maybe Maye is that guy, maybe not, but we are seeing Kyler isn't.

In FA with what money? If we trade him he incurs a $46m dead cap charge. That's basically all of our FA money. Nobody seems to be addressing this.

The Texans didn't have to eat $46m in dead cap. They could build around Stroud. If we drafted Maye we would be setting him up to fail.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In FA with what money? If we trade him he incurs a $46m dead cap charge. That's basically all of our FA money. Nobody seems to be addressing this.

The Texans didn't have to eat $46m in dead cap. They could build around Stroud. If we drafted Maye we would be setting him up to fail.
The Texans have 46 mil in dead cap this year.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is smack dab in the middle of a complete reset. I was shocked at how well the Cardinals defense played over the first 10 games of the season. However I also warned that the depth across the board for the defense was severely lacking. I also warned that due to the lack of depth we would most likely see the Cardinals defense struggle late in the season. I believe that is what we are seeing now on the defensive side of the ball. Losing White was a huge blow to the defense. Then factor in the rash of injuries along the defensive front and general lack of talent at CB and things are starting to get out of hand.

So on the Defensive side of the ball I would consider the following:

Starters:

DE - Carlos Watkins
ILB - Kyzir White
ILB - Josh Woods
OLB - Zaven Collins
CB - Garrett Williams (R)
S - Budda Baker
S - Jalen Thompson

Rotational/Backup:

NT - Kevin Strong
NT - Leki Fotu
DE - LJ Collier
DE - Dante Stills (R)
DE - Jonathan Ledbetter
ILB - Krys Barnes
OLB - Dennis Gardeck
OLB - BJ Ojulari (R)
OLB - Victor Dimukeje
CB - Kel'Trel Clark (R)
CB - Starling Thomas (R)

Holes to fill this offseason:
Starters: DE, NT, OLB, CB
Rotational/Backup: CB, S, S, ILB

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The point is, and one that I feel is missed by some, is that you don't need Pro Bowlers around a good NFL QB to compete. The Texans are showing that. They aren't a "good team" but they compete. Stroud makes a make-shift OL, RB unit, and WR unit work. That defense is flawed, but they added some pieces and can slow some teams down. That is significant progress in one off-season to go from a laughingstock to a competitive team.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Smart. Good job they had $40m above that then to actually still sign players in FA.

We would have nothing. Probably less than nothing.
We have 64.9 in space...trading Kyler adds 5.6 mil to that. Cutting Kyler with a post-June designation frees up 3.5 mil more. What we can't afford to do is cut Kyler with a pre-June designation. (all of this according to OTC)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
OLB - Zaven Collins
I dunno what you've seen from Collins on the edge that makes you think he'll be part of the next Cards playoff team. He's been indistinguishable from Victor Dimukege of late.

Good news is the entire Edge group is under contract for 2023, so you can add to the room and just push out the bottom guy.

Not sure why Cam Thomas can't get more reps. He's obviously the low man in the rotation right now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Personally, I think the Cardinals would be able to trade Kyler for something. There are too many desperate teams and just as many guys who are arrogant enough to think they can fix him.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The offensive side of the ball is much more complicated and it all revolves around Kyler Murray and to an extent Kyler Murray's contract. Cutting Kyler after the 2024 season is much more digestible. So I think the Cardinals roll with Murray for 1 more season and give him a full offseason to become comfortable with this new offense. That way they can continue to build up the starters and depth of this team. Then in 2025 if Kyler doesn't work out they cut him and have a solid core of a team for a rookie QB to come in and take the reigns.

So here is who I would keep on the offensive side of the ball:

Starters:

QB - Kyler Murray
RB - James Conner
WR - Michael Wilson (R)
WR - Marquis Brown
TE - Trey McBride
LT - DJ Humphries
RG - Will Hernandez
RT - Paris Johnson (R)

Rotational/Backups:
QB - Clayton Tune (R)
RB - Michael Carter
RB - Emari Demercado (R)
TE - Geoff Swaim
WR - Rondale Moore
C - Froholdt

Starters: LG, C, Big WR (MHJr, Odunze)
Rotational/Backup: T, G, RB, WR, QB

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think the Cardinals would be able to trade Kyler for something. There are too many desperate teams and just as many guys who are arrogant enough to think they can fix him.
Agreed. The Falcons seem like they’d be dumb enough/desperate enough to trade a 2nd or conditional 3rd.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not if he plays the rest of the season like he did the last 2 games.

He better play better no matter what you want to do at QB for the teams sake.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The chicken and egg situation with Kyler playing like ass is incredibly depressing. Is he just never going to be the QB he was during that 2021 stretch, or is the talent so terrible that success is nearly impossible?

I was really really hoping we'd see more progress/development from the young players, as that really hasn't happened at all. Mostly just feeling like a completely wasted year with few signs of progress.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The chicken and egg situation with Kyler playing like ass is incredibly depressing. Is he just never going to be the QB he was during that 2021 stretch, or is the talent so terrible that success is nearly impossible?

I was really really hoping we'd see more progress/development from the young players, as that really hasn't happened at all. Mostly just feeling like a completely wasted year with few signs of progress.

I think with Bengals like receivers, Murray would play at near pro bowl level top 16 QB. That may be Kyler's ceiling

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think with Bengals like receivers, Murray would play at near pro bowl level top 16 QB. That may be Kyler's ceiling
I think about the weapons that Cards QB's have had in the past...guys like Boldin and Fitz, often at the same time. Now our best weapon is Hollywood Freaking Brown.

It's really hard when Kyler is working with McBride and the Lollipop Guild.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler haters are out in force aren't they. Trade Kyler? Because some unproven rookie QB is the light? Have a look at the 6-5 Texans as a way to do it (who could easily be 3-7)? Sheesh

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess it comes down to this.

Would you rather have Kyler and MHJ, with the option to move on from Kyler later, or Drake Maye?

I think all this is ultimately redundant because I think the Pats finish above us. So unless the Panthers have a post Reich renaissance I don't see us picking better than 3rd.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler haters are out in force aren't they. Trade Kyler? Because some unproven rookie QB is the light? Have a look at the 6-5 Texans as a way to do it (who could easily be 3-7)? Sheesh
Lol at your last point. You know why the Texans aren’t 3-7? It’s because they have a shooting star rookie QB who’s elevated the entire team.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lol at your last point. You know why the Texans aren’t 3-7? It’s because they have a shooting star rookie QB who’s elevated the entire team.

I wasn’t saying Stroud isn’t good. They’ve been extremely fortunate in their close games. Something that could have easily gone the other way. So to use them as a benchmark without taking into account their luck is a bit rich. They arent blowing teams out and also Stroud is the exception to the rule for rookie QBs

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wasn’t saying Stroud isn’t good. They’ve been extremely fortunate in their close games. Something that could have easily gone the other way. So to use them as a benchmark without taking into account their luck is a bit rich. They arent blowing teams out and also Stroud is the exception to the rule for rookie QBs
The Texans are 4-3 in games decided by a TD or less. This isn't "extremely fortunate."

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Starters: DE, NT, OLB, CB
Rotational/Backup: CB, S, S, ILB

Starters: LG, C, Big WR (MHJr, Odunze)
Rotational/Backup: T, G, RB, WR, QB

I think this analysis kind of understates the problem because what we really lack are top-end players on the IDL, Edge, one OL spot, and maybe WR. Two of those are premium positions.

You can get average starters at IOL, CB, and even WR pretty cheaply. But those will probably only take us from being a three-win team to a six-win team.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the Dobbs experience kinda helps this -- i.e. he is better in MIN with a better supporting cast that he was in AZ

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man, reading posts on here (and I only read a dozen or so) is like doing a search on Google. o_O

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this analysis kind of understates the problem because what we really lack are top-end players on the IDL, Edge, one OL spot, and maybe WR. Two of those are premium positions.

You can get average starters at IOL, CB, and even WR pretty cheaply. But those will probably only take us from being a three-win team to a six-win team.

Yeah I agree. Needing at least 7 legitimate starters is still a lot. Not to mention needing quality depth across the board.

It will be a tall ask to get more than 1-2 top-end players in one offseason, especially at the premium positions. However I don't think that you need top end players at every position. IMO You just need 2-3 on each side of the ball surrounded by a strong supporting cast. Right now I'm not sure the Cardinals have 1 top-end player on the roster on either side of the ball. I was hoping that Murray would be a top-end player on the offense but I'm still not sold on him as of yet and he is trending the wrong way right now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison