LB K.Dansby to return to Arizona?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure if Cards will give him what he wants and looks like there is interest from other teams.

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620
Karlos Dansby had "good meeting" with Cards brass today. No contract discussed. Has interest from others including Jets, Houston and Atlanta.

Dansby told me "it would be good to finish where he started" so he is very excited about the possibilities in Arizona.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Not sure if Cards will give him what he wants and looks like there is interest from other teams.

Karlos Dansby had "good meeting" with Cards brass today. No contract discussed. Has interest from others including Jets, Houston and Atlanta.

Dansby told me "it would be good to finish where he started" so he is very excited about the possibilities in Arizona.

How you could take a negative bent towards him signing from those two reports shows you must have been a Cardinal fan for a while LOL...actually those reports look promising :)

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How you could take a negative bent towards him signing from those two reports shows you must have been a Cardinal fan for a while LOL...actually those reports look promising :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to appear to be negative just thought I was realistic. I would like to see him sign for sure.:)

Reaction score
I think the better fit is Nick Barnett. Barnett is one of the best cover LBers in the NFL---and he excels as a nickel LB.

The last time Barnett played in a 34 it was in Green Bay in 2009 when they switched to the 34 and slid Barnett down to the RILB spot (which is where he would be played here in AZ). Barnett ranked 2nd in the NFL at that position in 2009 behind Patrick Willis and just ahead of Ray Lewis.
Barnett is certainly worth a look. There are a few other lesser tier guys available also.

So far the new leadership for the Cardinals has demonstrated that they work on option B, while pursuing option A. My guess is that in this case they will do the same, and not put all their eggs in Dansby's basket.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
visit went well, did not discuss contract

So far this offseason, FAs have been given an offer, and that offer is off the table if they leave. Time to read the tea leaves here.

I'd like Dansby back, but if we pay him any amount of money, that is VERY bad news on the DWash front. I'm not sure we would play those two together very much, it seems to me they play the same position. Brinkley and Minter play the "thumper ILB position".

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
So far this offseason, FAs have been given an offer, and that offer is off the table if they leave. Time to read the tea leaves here.

I don't think you can read into it that much. Visit could have been a preliminary one to judge interest on both sides. Contract may not have even been offered at this time. Dwash has a prelim court appearance I think one today, and then one early next week. Cards could just be doing their due diligence and getting their ducks in a row if those two court appearances do not go well.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

I'd like Dansby back, but if we pay him any amount of money, that is VERY bad news on the DWash front. I'm not sure we would play those two together very much, it seems to me they play the same position. Brinkley and Minter play the "thumper ILB position".

Not really the same situation! You are talking apples and oranges. When free agency started, Steve Keim had a list of targeted free agents and a dollar value. If the free agent left the facility, they moved on to the next target.

The Dansby situation is a reaction to the DWash situation IMO. Both Dansby and the Cardinals needed to go through the courtship ritual to determine the level of mutual interest. The deal may still happen, but knowing Dansby, he'll be playing the field for the highest offer. It's all about the Benjamins. That may be why the Cardinals apparently didn't give him an offer to shop.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Not really the same situation! You are talking apples and oranges. When free agency started, Steve Keim had a list of targeted free agents and a dollar value. If the free agent left the facility, they moved on to the next target.

The Dansby situation is a reaction to the DWash situation IMO. Both Dansby and the Cardinals needed to go through the courtship ritual to determine the level of mutual interest. The deal may still happen, but knowing Dansby, he'll be playing the field for the highest offer. It's all about the Benjamins. That may be why the Cardinals apparently didn't give him an offer to shop.

If they were smart they shouldn't have given him an offer so whomever else he visits can set the bar. It could very well be lower than what the Cardinals had in mind which would have resulted in overpaying Dansby. Shake the tree and see what falls out.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think you can read into it that much. Visit could have been a preliminary one to judge interest on both sides.

There's not much to judge/learn here...Cardinals - "We need a starting LB position filled temporarily, you sir are currently unemployed." Dansby - "How much are your willing to pay?"

I'm thinking VM is dead on and the only scenario in which Dansby lands in AZ is if we're at the top of the market in what we're willing to pay.

The Cards' offer will tell us a lot about their beliefs in DW's situation.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm so tired of reading this. Here are the facts:

On March 5, 2010, Dansby signed with the Miami Dolphins to a five-year, $43 million contract with $22 million guaranteed, which made it the richest contract for an inside linebacker in NFL history

The Cardinals signed Bradley to a five-year, $25 million contract ($10 million guaranteed) in 2011.

Similar deal? How about HALF.
It was a similar contract. The guaranteed money was different. Two mill a year over the life of the contract is similar to me. The point being made was the Cards could have signed Dansby, didn't, and the following year gave similar money, not identical money, to Bradley, and it was another in a long line of blunders by Graves. And Bradley's saw about 18 mill of that 30 so it was similar. But that's beside the point.

The 29-year-old Bradley has been a disappointment since signing a five-year, $30 million contract with the Cardinals after the NFL lockout.

he Arizona Cardinals recently released linebacker Stewart Bradley, admitting the mistake they made in signing him to a five-year deal worth $30 million back in 2011.

Here's a fact from the AZ Republic:
The Cardinals didn't sign inside linebacker Stewart Bradley to a five-year, $30 million contract in July to stand on the sideline in the fall.

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Must be a slow news day on the ASFN boards if I'm posting =)

IT'S OFFICIAL: DANSBY SIGNS 1 YR CONTACT TO COME BACK TO THE CARDS!

Terms (As of 5/10 10:20am are undisclosed, unless I missed something)

http://bit.ly/10g5gjO

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep I'm pretty blind. Didn't see the sticky. Mods please delete. Or leave here and laugh at my last 3 posts.

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
Mods,
In all my years of posting I never earned a "sticky" on one of my subject threads- but I did call this personnel move on April 3rd before anyone else- could I get a sticky for a week or so :)

Go Cardinals!
-Tim
@SheriffK9NJ

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn