LB K.Dansby to return to Arizona?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Dansby played well for the Dolphins, and it would benefit this team to have him a Cardinal again but his salary would be an issue because he is still good and would not come cheap (and he should not expect a cheap salary for his worth)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as staring next to dwash - they both are similar players, I would think we need a bigger guy next to dwash.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
As far as staring next to dwash - they both are similar players, I would think we need a bigger guy next to dwash.
This is exactly why signing Dansby is highly unlikely. Sure, we'll play him in DWash spot the first four games, but then what? My best guess is it will be MLB by committee till DWash comes back.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Yes, I like this even though I did not like him leaving...that was business and so it is now.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is exactly why signing Dansby is highly unlikely. Sure, we'll play him in DWash spot the first four games, but then what? My best guess is it will be MLB by committee till DWash comes back.

Then you have flexibility if Daryl Washington screws up again, or doesn't come back ready to play. Remember the confusion that reigned for half a season when Horton came in?

Best case scenario is that Dansby becomes a sub package player, and both Dansby and Washington are on the field in passing situations. Both are dangerous as rushers, and both are well above-average in coverage. Jasper Brinkley can't do any of that.

I don't expect the Cards to sign Dansby, but that doesn't mean that doing so isn't an excellent idea. Dansby might not be a "plugger" in run support like Brinkley will be and Lenon was, but he's still more physical at the POA and defeating blockers than Washington is.

You also have increased defensive leadership and a guy that the players who remain from three or four years ago instantly respect.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One Other Undiscussed Option...

Make our base defense for the first 4 games a 4-3 and put Brinkley in the middle. Let Alexander fill a hybrid inside/outside role as we toggle between 4-3 and 3-4 depending on down & distance.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Then you have flexibility if Daryl Washington screws up again, or doesn't come back ready to play. Remember the confusion that reigned for half a season when Horton came in?

Best case scenario is that Dansby becomes a sub package player, and both Dansby and Washington are on the field in passing situations. Both are dangerous as rushers, and both are well above-average in coverage. Jasper Brinkley can't do any of that.

I don't expect the Cards to sign Dansby, but that doesn't mean that doing so isn't an excellent idea. Dansby might not be a "plugger" in run support like Brinkley will be and Lenon was, but he's still more physical at the POA and defeating blockers than Washington is.

You also have increased defensive leadership and a guy that the players who remain from three or four years ago instantly respect.

Agree with all that. At the right price he makes sense. The problem is I don't think he's coming here for what the Cardinals are able to pay, e.g $1-1.5 million.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Make our base defense for the first 4 games a 4-3 and put Brinkley in the middle. Let Alexander fill a hybrid inside/outside role as we toggle between 4-3 and 3-4 depending on down & distance.

You have the same problem: who plays rush end in a 4-3 alignment, and who plays WOLB (the WILB position--Washington's--in a 3-4 alignment).

There's no covering up for one of the top four talents on your defense and your primary playmaker in your defensive front seven. Something has to be done, or you just let your defense be significantly weakened for the first quarter of the season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Agree with all that. At the right price he makes sense. The problem is I don't think he's coming here for what the Cardinals are able to pay, e.g $1-1.5 million.

There doesn't seem to be much of a market left for him to negotiate with. That is why signing him makes sense. He will only want a one or two year deal, and I am sure that is all the Cardinals would be able to pay him for.

Like K9 said, I don't believe it will happen, but it is a very good idea.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be much of a market left for him to negotiate with. That is why signing him makes sense. He will only want a one or two year deal, and I am sure that is all the Cardinals would be able to pay him for.

Like K9 said, I don't believe it will happen, but it is a very good idea.

No market now, but there may be a market after the draft. Still, I don't think he gets much money.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have the same problem: who plays rush end in a 4-3 alignment, and who plays WOLB (the WILB position--Washington's--in a 3-4 alignment).

There's no covering up for one of the top four talents on your defense and your primary playmaker in your defensive front seven. Something has to be done, or you just let your defense be significantly weakened for the first quarter of the season.
Make Scho a rush end, Brinkley in the middle between Acho and Alexander.

Note - Urban raised the possibility that Lenon might be enticed to return. That would give us a four-wide lineup of Acho-Brinkley-Lenon-Schofield.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Note - Urban raised the possibility that Lenon might be enticed to return. That would give us a four-wide lineup of Acho-Brinkley-Lenon-Schofield.

man... that is an incredibly underwhelming Linebacking core for the first four games of the season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Bleech. What a terrible pass rush that would produce.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
man... that is an incredibly underwhelming Linebacking core for the first four games of the season.
It would be, but consider this - 3 of our 4 starting LB's/rush end would be the same dudes. The only change would be Alexander or Lenon for DWash in either a 3-4 or 4-3 alignment.

Fact of Life- DWash he gone - for 4 games. No one we replace him with will be as good. But it is what it is. We can either curl up into a fetal ball or deal with it as best we can.

Come up with something better (that we can actually do). Dansby? (Is that better than a 25% possibility and would it improve our pass rush over Lenon that much)? Reach for an ILB in the draft (& incur the wrath of one Michael Bidwill)?

Who's got a brilliant idea?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be, but consider this - 3 of our 4 starting LB's/rush end would be the same dudes. The only change would be Alexander or Lenon for DWash in either a 3-4 or 4-3 alignment.

Fact of Life- DWash he gone - for 4 games. No one we replace him with will be as good. But it is what it is. We can either curl up into a fetal ball or deal with it as best we can.

Come up with something better (that we can actually do). Dansby? Is that better than a 25% possibility and would it improve our pass rush over Lenon that much?

yeah, Dansby would be a very good move, if not only from a depth perspective, but from a leadership perspective. even with Washington, that linebacking core on it's face is incredibly underwhelming IMO. without him, I think it's amongst the worst in the league for teams that run a 3-4. Scho has pretty much proven to be a non-entity, Brinkley is a guy IMO... not much more and Acho, who showed great promise in year 1 completely dissappeared last season and Alexander's been a STer his entire career.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My choices as a stop-gap until Daryl Washington returns from his hiatus:

1) Karlos Dansby
2) Nick Barnett (he's boys with Larry, BTW)
3) Daryl Smith (formerly of Jacksonville)
4) Leroy Hill (formerly of Seattle)

There are lots of solid veteran options out there who would be superior to putting Lorenzo Alexander into the lineup at WILB--which would be an unqualified disaster.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My choices as a stop-gap until Daryl Washington returns from his hiatus:

1) Karlos Dansby
2) Nick Barnett (he's boys with Larry, BTW)
3) Daryl Smith (formerly of Jacksonville)
4) Leroy Hill (formerly of Seattle)

There are lots of solid veteran options out there who would be superior to putting Lorenzo Alexander into the lineup at WILB--which would be an unqualified disaster.

I would really like either Dansby or Smith. The other two would be upgrades but I am pretty lukewarm on them.

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
yeah, Dansby would be a very good move, if not only from a depth perspective, but from a leadership perspective. even with Washington, that linebacking core on it's face is incredibly underwhelming IMO. without him, I think it's amongst the worst in the league for teams that run a 3-4. Scho has pretty much proven to be a non-entity, Brinkley is a guy IMO... not much more and Acho, who showed great promise in year 1 completely dissappeared last season and Alexander's been a STer his entire career.

Signing Dansby - a former team defensive captain- back would be great and something a young, talented (and somewhat troubled) LB D.Washington could learn from. He has had 2 or 3 strikes already so he needs a mentor- IMO.

Go Cardinals!
-Tim
@SheriffK9NJ

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think signing Dansby is a no brainer at this point.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After Dansby has exhausted all chances for a multi year deal or a sizable one year pact with just about everyone in the league, he'll consider AZ.. (IMO)

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think alot of teams are waiting to see what happens with the draft. We'll probably see some more multi year deals after it. Not many, but a few. I don't know if Dansby is one of them, but it's possible.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn