2021 First Round Mock Draft (V 2.0)

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We're not at $24m. We're at $22m (and OTC actually says $20m).

I agree on Jones. Chances are he gets restructured, and if not get's traded. So thats $10m.

And Alford too, that's easy enough considering he hasn't played and nobody trusts him not to get injured again. Although personally, I think they will lean on him to take a cut and he will stay just for not much more than the $1.5m dead money he would accrue. But add another $7.5m.

That's $39.5m. Now remove the rookie draft pool you didn't count and it's $34.5m.

The other I don't see the point. There's no net benefit. You cut Kennard you save $4m, but you are going to pay $4m to sign a replacement and add $4m to dead cap in a low cap year. Same with Gilbert, you would pay more for a replacement.

More realistic is that we would have around $35m and have to resign or replace the following players where we have nobody on the roster to replace them at a similar level of production.

Peterson, Fitzgerald, Drake, Peters, Kirkpatrick, Golden, Reddick, Gonzalez, Lee, Arnold, Blackson, Gardeck, Sherfield, Turner. (I'm not counting Sweezy, Beachum or Campbell or we can replace internally)

Plus backups and guys that get snaps in rotation such as Vallejo, Daniels, Hundley, Peterson, Washington, Mauro, Banjo, etc

Let's look at the RFA's and vet min guys first as they are the building blocks of the team. You said earlier they were cheap to resign, but the minimum RFA tender is $2.1m. So not all that cheap. For what it's worth I don't think they tender Gardeck, Sherfield and Arnold. I think they sign them to 3 year deals so they can backload them a little. So let's say those 3 average a cap hit of $1.5m each.

Down to $30m.

Turner they don't tender and resign for vet min. Daniels, Vallejo, Washington, Mauro and Banjo they resign for vet min.

Down to $24.7m.

Blackson and Kirkpatrick I don't see signing for vet min. Both had had starter level snaps, especially Kirkpatrick. Teams will be begging for players like these that won't break the bank. I'm going to say Blackson walks, and they keep Mauro with Lawrence and Fotu coming through. Kirkpatrick resigns for $4m.

Down to $20.7m to resign some combination of or get replacements for P2, Fitz, Drake, Golden, Zane, Lee, Peters and Hundley.

I think Drake and Reddick can be replaced by rookies. There's also a rookie CB in this scenario, but it's 50/50 if they can replace Peterson right away. This is why I think there's a small chance they might keep Alford around on a new very cheap deal.

I don't want Golden on any kind of long term deal at his age with a rookie coming through, so lets say Golden $5m for 1 year. Down to $15.7m.

We need a punter and a kicker. Whoever they may be. Let's be generous and say both are multi year deals that are backloaded and only $2m total cap hit total.

Let's say Peter's doesn't resign, I like the guy but they have Fotu and they have to make tough decisions somewhere. Same with Hundley, they role with only Streveler at backup QB.

Down to $13.7m and still have Fitz and P2 plus at least $5m for injury replacements.

So it's possible, but we have to lose one of Fitz or P2 (Or Fitz has to come back on some super bargain deal) and you have to crazy backload P2's contract on a guy that will be nearly 34 by the end of it.

And all of this is just resigning our own guys and banking on UFA's and low round draft picks to fill the left over roster spots. Certainly no quality UFA's being signed to improve the roster.

All I'm saying is, we ain't going to be getting better next year without a killer draft. We are going to lose some core guys like Peters, P2 or Fitz and we aren't going to be signing any big new names. Most other teams will be going through something similar so it's not all doom.
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe your OTC is different than mine. Also, yes, I don't factor in the rookie allotment because teams find ways to figure that out.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Cam McGrone is quickly moving into my list of guys in round 2. Nice size and a really good athlete on tape.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Maybe your OTC is different than mine. Also, yes, I don't factor in the rookie allotment because teams find ways to figure that out.

Your's must be different than mine. Mine says $20m.

There's no figuring out the rookie draft pool. They are contracts on the final 53 that count towards the cap space. Maybe you read too much from Mitch, he used to write all the time on RotB about how X amount doesn't apply because they only count the top 51 in the offseason but that all goes away once you cut to 53 and thats the only cap limit that matters.

Look, I don't want to argue with you, I'm not trying to. I enjoy your posts.

I'm simply saying it's going to be a very tough offseason, we are likely to lose one of our star names and some important starters. We would be lucky if we can break even talent wise.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your's must be different than mine. Mine says $20m.

There's no figuring out the rookie draft pool. They are contracts on the final 53 that count towards the cap space. Maybe you read too much from Mitch, he used to write all the time on RotB about how X amount doesn't apply because they only count the top 51 in the offseason but that all goes away once you cut to 53 and thats the only cap limit that matters.

Look, I don't want to argue with you, I'm not trying to. I enjoy your posts.

I'm simply saying it's going to be a very tough offseason, we are likely to lose one of our star names and some important starters. We would be lucky if we can break even talent wise.

Chopper's OTC includes the 2020 rollover.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because it wouldn't be a Cardinals Mock draft without me selecting a WR:

1) Rondale Moore - WR - Purdue

:clapping:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Why? It's exactly the same size as Aaron Jones. Ain't nobody saying Aaron Jones isn't a primary back.
Maybe due to his experience last season and getting injured after a relatively short span of being 'da man' that one might make that conclusion :)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe due to his experience last season and getting injured after a relatively short span of being 'da man' that one might make that conclusion :)

Come on man, that can can happen to anyone at any time at RB. It was a muscle strain if I recall, not an impact injury.

Niners have lost most their RBs at some point this year. Chubb and McCaffrey have missed big chunks. Saquan missed the season.

You can't say he's not built for it from missing a couple of games with a hammy.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I can't believe u virtually selected a tigh end in round 2 instead of a cb
Someone got the control of u?
An easy argument to be made the Freiermuth is a better prospect than any CB available at that spot. Also easy to argue that Maxx and Dan are big contributors to our offense eve if it doesn't equate into receptions.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An easy argument to be made the Freiermuth is a better prospect than any CB available at that spot. Also easy to argue that Maxx and Dan are big contributors to our offense eve if it doesn't equate into receptions.
Not gonna lie though, I could still see us go CB round 1 & not even go EDGE at all, tbh. Jaycee still the dream if that’s the case.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, this is tough, lol.

I’m still banging for EDGE, but I can see the argument for CB, especially with more elusive QBs almost neutralizing pass-rushs to play contain. Also think you a need a Alpha at CB which we currently lack.

Uhhhhhhh man

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Come on man, that can can happen to anyone at any time at RB. It was a muscle strain if I recall, not an impact injury.

Niners have lost most their RBs at some point this year. Chubb and McCaffrey have missed big chunks. Saquan missed the season.

You can't say he's not built for it from missing a couple of games with a hammy.

He does not give me the impression he's that durable, also compiling the fact that he carried the ball a lot when in college. Now Stump Mitchell for the Cards back in the day was very durable at only about 185 pounds (pretty cool that the British like you and I being an American can still decipher that measurement haha), but I just do not get that feel for him... regardless, we will need a second back if Drake is not there so it pretty much makes our differ of opinion moot since the most logical approach is to use the draft

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Man, this is tough, lol.

I’m still banging for EDGE, but I can see the argument for CB, especially with more elusive QBs almost neutralizing pass-rushs to play contain. Also think you a need a Alpha at CB which we currently lack.

Uhhhhhhh man
Case solved, you take the best player regardless of position at least in round one... round two is another story :)

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
We're not at $24m. We're at $22m (and OTC actually says $20m).

I agree on Jones. Chances are he gets restructured, and if not get's traded. So thats $10m.

And Alford too, that's easy enough considering he hasn't played and nobody trusts him not to get injured again. Although personally, I think they will lean on him to take a cut and he will stay just for not much more than the $1.5m dead money he would accrue. But add another $7.5m.

That's $39.5m. Now remove the rookie draft pool you didn't count and it's $34.5m.

The other I don't see the point. There's no net benefit. You cut Kennard you save $4m, but you are going to pay $4m to sign a replacement and add $4m to dead cap in a low cap year. Same with Gilbert, you would pay more for a replacement.

More realistic is that we would have around $35m and have to resign or replace the following players where we have nobody on the roster to replace them at a similar level of production.

Peterson, Fitzgerald, Drake, Peters, Kirkpatrick, Golden, Reddick, Gonzalez, Lee, Arnold, Blackson, Gardeck, Sherfield, Turner. (I'm not counting Sweezy, Beachum or Campbell or we can replace internally)

Plus backups and guys that get snaps in rotation such as Vallejo, Daniels, Hundley, Peterson, Washington, Mauro, Banjo, etc

Let's look at the RFA's and vet min guys first as they are the building blocks of the team. You said earlier they were cheap to resign, but the minimum RFA tender is $2.1m. So not all that cheap. For what it's worth I don't think they tender Gardeck, Sherfield and Arnold. I think they sign them to 3 year deals so they can backload them a little. So let's say those 3 average a cap hit of $1.5m each.

Down to $30m.

Turner they don't tender and resign for vet min. Daniels, Vallejo, Washington, Mauro and Banjo they resign for vet min.

Down to $24.7m.

Blackson and Kirkpatrick I don't see signing for vet min. Both had had starter level snaps, especially Kirkpatrick. Teams will be begging for players like these that won't break the bank. I'm going to say Blackson walks, and they keep Mauro with Lawrence and Fotu coming through. Kirkpatrick resigns for $4m.

Down to $20.7m to resign some combination of or get replacements for P2, Fitz, Drake, Golden, Zane, Lee, Peters and Hundley.

I think Drake and Reddick can be replaced by rookies. There's also a rookie CB in this scenario, but it's 50/50 if they can replace Peterson right away. This is why I think there's a small chance they might keep Alford around on a new very cheap deal.

I don't want Golden on any kind of long term deal at his age with a rookie coming through, so lets say Golden $5m for 1 year. Down to $15.7m.

We need a punter and a kicker. Whoever they may be. Let's be generous and say both are multi year deals that are backloaded and only $2m total cap hit total.

Let's say Peter's doesn't resign, I like the guy but they have Fotu and they have to make tough decisions somewhere. Same with Hundley, they role with only Streveler at backup QB.

Down to $13.7m and still have Fitz and P2 plus at least $5m for injury replacements.

So it's possible, but we have to lose one of Fitz or P2 (Or Fitz has to come back on some super bargain deal) and you have to crazy backload P2's contract on a guy that will be nearly 34 by the end of it.

And all of this is just resigning our own guys and banking on UFA's and low round draft picks to fill the left over roster spots. Certainly no quality UFA's being signed to improve the roster.

All I'm saying is, we ain't going to be getting better next year without a killer draft. We are going to lose some core guys like Peters, P2 or Fitz and we aren't going to be signing any big new names. Most other teams will be going through something similar so it's not all doom.
All these figures are cute, but don't have to be the case. They can be creative to lower all those you talk about. Who was it that signed this year for three years but was only to push money into the future? I can't remember.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All these figures are cute, but don't have to be the case. They can be creative to lower all those you talk about. Who was it that signed this year for three years but was only to push money into the future? I can't remember.

Campbell.

Yes, you can do things like that, but only so much. You loaning yourself future cap which restricts what you can do in future years.

All I'm trying to say is, it's not going to be some blowout off season where we sign a bunch of good players. It's going to be an uphill struggle to keep our own.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Man, this is tough, lol.

Uhhhhhhh man
I go back and forth on this as well. Quick pass game can negate a pass rush. Pressure impacts top QBs more than good coverage because they eventually find the matchup they want. Horn, Farley and Surtain are about the CBs I consider in round 1. EDGE will ikely be the better value.

What I will say is that there is no way Keim lets the Cardinals go into the draft with Murphy as the best CB on the roster.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me, worst case scenario is Oweh and Horn are both off the board.
I think overall worst case is that all of Horn, Oweh, Ossai, & Ojulari. Doubt all of em will be gone by the time we pick(I’m assuming we go 1 & done in the playoffs). One of the Os will be there at least.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The most Isaiah Simmons pick of the 2021 draft for the Arizona Cardinals would be Kyle Pitts.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Jeez...Najee Harris seems to have taken it to another level this year.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
What is your take on Trey Sermon?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave