Lakers @ Suns 3-18-16- most important game of the season?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Interesting ESPN article on this game

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Friday's matchup between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Phoenix Suns is one of the most important games remaining on the regular-season schedule.

No, seriously.

The Lakers, with a 14-54 record, are 4.5 games "ahead" of the Suns (18-49) in the unofficial race for the second-worst record and the second-best lottery odds behind the Philadelphia 76ers (9-58) for the NBA draft lottery held on May 17.

Going into Thursday's games, the Lakers have the second-worst record in the league, which gave them a 19.9 percent chance at the No. 1 overall pick, and a 55.8 percent chance to secure a top-three pick (and thus keep their 2016 first-round pick, which goes to the 76ers if the Lakers fall outside the top three because of the Steve Nash trade in 2012).

If the Lakers defeat the Suns and continue or improve on their current .375 winning pace this month -- they are 3-5 in March -- they could risk losing their No. 2 spot to the Suns or the Brooklyn Nets, who are 19-48 and 5.5 games "back" of L.A.

If the Lakers drop to the No. 3 or No. 4 spot, their odds of landing the No. 1 overall pick would drop to 15.6 percent or 11.9 percent, respectively. Even worse, their odds of keeping their pick would fall from 55.8 percent to 46.9 percent or 37.8 percent, respectively, as well.

Many Lakers fans have clamored for the team to tank since it became clear they weren't going to make the playoffs within the first couple weeks of the season (and some even before then).

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles...with-suns-has-far-reaching-draft-implications

I honestly don't care what Scott says. He knows he's gonna be fired regardless of whether they win or lose for remainder of the season. He's probably better off doing the Lakers FO a favor so that he can maybe come back to LA for a job in some other capacity in the future rather than pissing them off to add a few wins to his resume. I doubt he gets another HC gig ever again anyway even if the Lakers win out remainder of the way.

Suns need to imo talk to Watson and perhaps assure him that he will be back next season regardless of wins/losses for remainder of this season but to be smart so that he can maybe the chance to coach a player like Ingram or some other blue chip prospect.

No player should be playing 40 mins or anywhere near it. Maybe have one or two players at max play 35 but that's it. Teams that play the players 40+ mins are teams that are desperately trying to pull out wins to help with playoff seedings or whatever aka Durant, Harden etc. We're not that.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe rest Booker, Len, Chandler and Tucker for tomorrow's game since its 2nd night of a back to back on the road.

Let this lineup run tomorrow

Knight/Price
Goodwin/Pressey
Budinger/Jenkins
Leuer/Teletovic (split some time with Leuer)
Williams/Teletovic

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No player should be playing 40 mins or anywhere near it. Maybe have one or two players at max play 35 but that's it. Teams that play the players 40+ mins are teams that are desperately trying to pull out wins to help with playoff seedings or whatever aka Durant, Harden etc. We're not that.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe rest Booker, Len, Chandler and Tucker for tomorrow's game since its 2nd night of a back to back on the road.

Knight/Price
Goodwin/Pressey
Budinger/Jenkins
Williams/Teletovic

While I agree no one should play more than 40 minutes or anywhere near it, except maybe Tucker or Knight if they're playing horribly, resting those 4 players is ridiculous. The tank is on but you can't just rest 4 of your 5 best healthy players to try to ensure a loss. There are too many young players on this team, and potential free agents, that would send the wrong message to. Everyone knows this team is in tank mode, players included, but purposely throwing games by sitting 80% of your starting lineup is beyond just poor sportsmanship. Even in a lost season this is against one of your main rivals, handing them a win is inexcusable, especially when it guarantees absolutely nothing. If this were the last game of the season and it was definitely going to be a case of the losing team finishing #2 in ping-pong balls, then I can see considering throwing the game by resting some players but even then I'd only consider it and doubt it would be 80% of the patchwork starting lineup being used currently.

Resting either Len or Chandler makes sense if only because it's the 2nd night of a back to back and both have trouble remaining healthy regularly. Preferably you rest Len since he brings more offense and his health is more important for the future of the team. If both play then don't let either get over 30 minutes. I think you have to let Booker play and match him up with Kobe all night. The kid has plenty of confidence already and seems to be improving with every game in some way. Putting him against Kobe all night will be an experience for him considering he'd be matched up against one of the top 3 SG's to ever play, even if Kobe is a shell of his former self. I don't care if Booker and Kobe end up in a shootout with each putting up 30+ points. You let Booker either try to outplay him or keep up. Resting Tucker does nothing since it's more likely he only plays hard 1 out of 4 quarters anyway. Even then he might not make much of a difference in the box score. The Lakers are terrible but they are capable of beating the Suns on the 2nd night of a back to back without the Suns resting players.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
While I agree no one should play more than 40 minutes or anywhere near it, except maybe Tucker or Knight if they're playing horribly, resting those 4 players is ridiculous. The tank is on but you can't just rest 4 of your 5 best healthy players to try to ensure a loss. There are too many young players on this team, and potential free agents, that would send the wrong message to. Everyone knows this team is in tank mode, players included, but purposely throwing games by sitting 80% of your starting lineup is beyond just poor sportsmanship. Even in a lost season this is against one of your main rivals, handing them a win is inexcusable, especially when it guarantees absolutely nothing. If this were the last game of the season and it was definitely going to be a case of the losing team finishing #2 in ping-pong balls, then I can see considering throwing the game by resting some players but even then I'd only consider it and doubt it would be 80% of the patchwork starting lineup being used currently.

Resting either Len or Chandler makes sense if only because it's the 2nd night of a back to back and both have trouble remaining healthy regularly. Preferably you rest Len since he brings more offense and his health is more important for the future of the team. If both play then don't let either get over 30 minutes. I think you have to let Booker play and match him up with Kobe all night. The kid has plenty of confidence already and seems to be improving with every game in some way. Putting him against Kobe all night will be an experience for him considering he'd be matched up against one of the top 3 SG's to ever play, even if Kobe is a shell of his former self. I don't care if Booker and Kobe end up in a shootout with each putting up 30+ points. You let Booker either try to outplay him or keep up. Resting Tucker does nothing since it's more likely he only plays hard 1 out of 4 quarters anyway. Even then he might not make much of a difference in the box score. The Lakers are terrible but they are capable of beating the Suns on the 2nd night of a back to back without the Suns resting players.

Booker will still have a chance to play against Kobe even if he misses this game because the Suns play the Lakers once again on Wednesday.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting ESPN article on this game

I honestly don't care what Scott says. He knows he's gonna be fired regardless of whether they win or lose for remainder of the season. He's probably better off doing the Lakers FO a favor so that he can maybe come back to LA for a job in some other capacity in the future rather than pissing them off to add a few wins to his resume. I doubt he gets another HC gig ever again anyway even if the Lakers win out remainder of the way.

Suns need to imo talk to Watson and perhaps assure him that he will be back next season regardless of wins/losses for remainder of this season but to be smart so that he can maybe the chance to coach a player like Ingram or some other blue chip prospect.

Knight/Price
Goodwin/Pressey
Budinger/Jenkins
Williams/Teletovic

The Suns should tell Watson only that he will be considered as a candidate for the head coaching position and maybe recommended as an assistant coach if he does not get the job.

The Suns did not re-sign Phil Pressey for the rest of the season.

No way the Suns the can start that lineup and keep credibility.

Also Knight has messed with the Suns chemistry at PG. Booker looks confused about his role as SG and running the team. I worry about Knight hurting Booker's development. Again the Suns are confused about Knight's role (SG) and wants him to perform as a PG. This may be all the Suns need to keep losing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very misleading thread title. It might make sense on a Lakers forum but not here and it was clearly talking to Lakers fans. We're at risk of dropping a spot in the lottery hunt but they're at risk of losing the pick entirely. They expect to be in the playoffs next year so they're looking at losing a top 3 pick instead of maybe the 20th pick next season. Big difference. For us, this game is no more important than any of our remaining games. Any one of which might be the game that drops us out of the 3rd spot.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Thank goodness both the Laker and Suns fans no longer have to watch their teams coached by Mike D'Antoni. He obviously is the reason for both franchises fall from grace. I expect Magic Johnson is very happy watching his beloved Laker team with Byron Scott as their head coach.

Great move by both franchise to dump that useless SOB.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank goodness both the Laker and Suns fans no longer have to watch their teams coached by Mike D'Antoni. He obviously is the reason for both franchises fall from grace. I expect Magic Johnson is very happy watching his beloved Laker team with Byron Scott as their head coach.

I wouldn't speak too soon for the Suns. They will be looking for a head coach.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score

Mike did a great job in Phx. His last season he won 55 games. What happened to the Suns after he left isnt on him. Also, he could very well be our next coach again. Something I would like to see even though a lot on this forum wouldnt.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'd like to get a good look at Allen Williams and Archie hasn't been getting enough time lately. I imagine it would be wise to sit BK on the second night of a back-to-back. All of those are reasonable moves and don't guarantee a loss, though I think the Lakers players will be going for a win in front of their home crowd. When they come here next Weds is when we might take more drastic action.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mike did a great job in Phx. His last season he won 55 games. What happened to the Suns after he left isnt on him. Also, he could very well be our next coach again. Something I would like to see even though a lot on this forum wouldnt.

I think JWB is being sarcastic.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns should tell Watson only that he will be considered as a candidate for the head coaching position and maybe recommended as an assistant coach if he does not get the job.

The Suns did not re-sign Phil Pressey for the rest of the season.

No way the Suns the can start that lineup and keep credibility.

Also Knight has messed with the Suns chemistry at PG. Booker looks confused about his role as SG and running the team. I worry about Knight hurting Booker's development. Again the Suns are confused about Knight's role (SG) and wants him to perform as a PG. This may be all the Suns need to keep losing.

Knight and Booker were both awful yesterday so I do worry a bit about them going off this game.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You're talking to a guy who has dedicated about 358 of his 360 posts to blasting anyone who besmirches the infallible Mike D'Antoni.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Hmm I seem to recall San Antonio "resting" players and a certain idiot owner strutting around like a damn chicken. Throwing games once in a while for the right reasons sure seems to have worked every time for the Spurs. Not a bad franchise to model after.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe Bryant is out for tonight's game.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
First and only Suns game I am watching this year. Looking to see what Booker is like. These teams are terrible.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns wanted to look better they should have done it against the Jazz. No use beating up on the Lakers.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns are being are the dumbest team in NBA history. I'm serious, winning this game would prove how idiotic the Suns are.

Reason why the Lakers have 17 or 19 banners and the Suns have zero. They know how to make the best out of the situation. While Suns continue to trend in mediocrity.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Suns are being are the dumbest team in NBA history. I'm serious, winning this game would prove how idiotic the Suns are.

Reason why the Lakers have 17 or 19 banners and the Suns have zero. They know how to make the best out of the situation. While Suns continue to trend in mediocrity.

Are you suggesting they should purposely miss shots?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what he is suggesting, and he isn't the only one. For the life of me, I cannot understand the people who want to throw games.

I don't mind management limiting teams to better position themselves in the draft but the notion of players purposely losing is asinine.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns might pull this one out. Lakers cutting the lead in the 4th. Hopefully we pull out this loss we need this one

Booker really off tonight

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Try as they might the Suns find it impossible to be worse than the Lakers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard