Keim says who will start at QB

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cardinals coach and general manager give different answers when asked if Kyler Murray will start in Week 1
  • By John Breech
  • May 2, 2019 at 4:45 pm ET • 2 min read
Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury and general manager Steve Keim were on the same page last week when they had to decide who to select with the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL Draft (Kyler Murray), however, it appears they might not be on the same page when it comes to the date of Murray's first regular season start.

During an interview with Jim Rome on CBS Sports Network Wednesday, Kingsbury wasn't quite ready to commit to Murray when he was asked if the rookie would be his starting quarterback for the Cardinals' opener in September.

"We'll see," Kingsbury said. "We're still working through all those things. We have Brett Hundley here, who we're very excited about, but we'll see where that kind of goes."

Kingsbury might be "excited" about Hundley, but it doesn't seem that Keim feels the same way. During an interview on "The Rich Eisen Show" earlier this week, Keim didn't have to think twice when he was asked if Murray would be the team's opening day starter.

"Yes," the Cardinals general manager said. "We didn't draft him one overall to ride the pine. I know it's a lot to put on his back, but that's why we drafted him. He's a fierce competitor and that's what he did at Oklahoma this year. He put the team on his back, they didn't have a great defense and he knew he had to score on almost every series to give them a chance to win and I sort of like the chances there."

Kingsbury and Keim likely had a chat at some point this week, because when Kingsbury was asked about his Week 1 starter again on Thursday, he sounded much more open to playing Murray.

"We're going to work through that over the next couple weeks, but you don't take him in our situation at No. 1 to sit him on the bench, if you do, for very long," Kingsbury said, via SiriusXM's Mad Dog Radio. "We're going to build it around him and make sure he's comfortable in our system, adjust it to him and play to his strengths. Make sure we can have immediate success with him as our quarterback."

What you should take from all this is that unless Murray gets injured in training camp, there's nearly a 100 percent chance that he's going to be the Cardinals starting quarterback when they open their season at home on Sept. 8 against the Lions.

The Cardinals offense, which struggled in 2018, could be one of the most exciting units in the NFL in 2019. Kingsbury's plan is to bring his Air Raid system to the NFL -- which means there will be times when the Cardinals have five receivers on the field -- and Kingsbury expects Murray to thrive in those situations.

"The way we spread people out, the tempo in which we play, he's the guy who can really thrive in system," Kingsbury told Peter King this week. "We're going to play the game at times wider than probably most people do in the league. We're going to use the entire field and make them cover five wides and the quarterback and that's tough on defenses."

Basically, what all this means is that Hundley will likely be spending the 2019 season where he's spent most of his NFL career: On the bench.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here's the PFT article. The comments and their thumbs up/down ratios will give you some insight into how fans outside of Phoenix feel about the whole situation. Right now we're the laughingstock of NFL fans. I assume Cards players & coaches are aware of this stuff? Can they somehow turn it into a positive and develop a chip on their collective shoulders, wanting to prove all these people wrong? One can hope..

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/02/steve-keim-kyler-murray-will-start-season-opener/

To me, this entire situation started with the hiring of Wilks last year, who proved to be woefully unprepared to be an NFL head coach. To seal his own fate, he hired on a staff of assistants who were also substandard, with Mike McCoy being the most glaring example of a disaster waiting to happen. Poor Josh Rosen never had a chance. Then they make the tough decision to cut ties with Wilks after one year. I applaud this decision, it needed to happen. But - will hiring a guy with a losing college record, who runs a gimmick offense, prove to be any wiser than hiring Wilks was? That was a move that predicated moving Rosen and going all-in with Murray. I don't think there's much middle ground here - either this strategy fails spectacularly, or turns out to be a brilliant decision. We should find out pretty quickly this fall which direction it's headed. I think the odds are in favor of failure, but I remain optimistic and will be supportive. If it fails and they have to start over again, at least we know that Keim won't be calling the shots next time, and Michael B will probably stay the hell out of making any decisions too. Fun times ahead!

I credit Keim for coming out and saying that Murray is gonna play - everybody knows this. But to do it right after Kliff said "maybe" is a bad look. Get on the same page, fellas.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Slow news cycle. Nothing to see here.
Yeah, like "Duh" lol. Just thought it was rather odd the two of them said different things. Guess KK has to prop Hundley up a little bit? We all know who's gonna start game 1.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To me, this entire situation started with the hiring of Wilks last year, who proved to be woefully unprepared to be an NFL head coach. To seal his own fate, he hired on a staff of assistants who were also substandard, with Mike McCoy being the most glaring example of a disaster waiting to happen.

I still feel Wilks/McCoy may have been part of a plan to tank. Anyone else here read this?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
We have to start Murray after trading the only one who could possibly beat him out of the starting job. It's all or nothing from this point on. Go Cards!!!

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Here's the PFT article. The comments and their thumbs up/down ratios will give you some insight into how fans outside of Phoenix feel about the whole situation. Right now we're the laughingstock of NFL fans. I assume Cards players & coaches are aware of this stuff? Can they somehow turn it into a positive and develop a chip on their collective shoulders, wanting to prove all these people wrong? One can hope..

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/02/steve-keim-kyler-murray-will-start-season-opener/

To me, this entire situation started with the hiring of Wilks last year, who proved to be woefully unprepared to be an NFL head coach. To seal his own fate, he hired on a staff of assistants who were also substandard, with Mike McCoy being the most glaring example of a disaster waiting to happen. Poor Josh Rosen never had a chance. Then they make the tough decision to cut ties with Wilks after one year. I applaud this decision, it needed to happen. But - will hiring a guy with a losing college record, who runs a gimmick offense, prove to be any wiser than hiring Wilks was? That was a move that predicated moving Rosen and going all-in with Murray. I don't think there's much middle ground here - either this strategy fails spectacularly, or turns out to be a brilliant decision. We should find out pretty quickly this fall which direction it's headed. I think the odds are in favor of failure, but I remain optimistic and will be supportive. If it fails and they have to start over again, at least we know that Keim won't be calling the shots next time, and Michael B will probably stay the hell out of making any decisions too. Fun times ahead!

I credit Keim for coming out and saying that Murray is gonna play - everybody knows this. But to do it right after Kliff said "maybe" is a bad look. Get on the same page, fellas.
good post

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

If we’re the laughing stock of the PFT comment section than i’m starting to feel very good about our chances next year.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score

In fairness to Keim, he said that Murray will start on the Rich Eisen Show on April 29th and then KK said maybe on the Jim Rome Show on May 1st.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we’re the laughing stock of the PFT comment section than i’m starting to feel very good about our chances next year.

You must be registered for see images attach

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who wrote that conspiracy piece above? The author thinks that the Patriots are coached by some dude named "Bill Belichex"?? I'm guessing it was either Alex Jones or Brian Stelter. :D

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim should shut his trap and let the HC make that decision.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just filter all that BS as Coachspeak and GMSpeak.

Things will all come together - all in good time.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Keim should shut his trap and let the HC make that decision.
He's just being realistic. The fact of the matter is that unless Murray is just way less prepared than they expect than he is going to be starting game 1. The only reason KK doesn't want to come out and say it is because he wants there to be incentive for Murray and Hundley to really bring it from now until opening day.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If we were to believe for a second this were true, if Murray somehow got beat out in preseason against Brett Hundley, that would be embarrassing

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we were to believe for a second this were true, if Murray somehow got beat out in preseason against Brett Hundley, that would be embarrassing

Slit my wrists type of embarrassing.

Im traveling out of the country and virtually every person who sees my Cardinal shirt looks at me like, dude wtf?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson