Ka'Deem Carey (warning: unabashed homerism inside)

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now, I realize that this does not lie within the fabulous priorities thread Mitch wrote up, and may be contrary to progress as we all see fit (OL) but hear me ot...

IF we are able to address LT in free agency (Albert)

IF we are able to get a QBOF in the 1st, or determine our guy just isn't there this year in 1 or 2 round

IF Carey is available when we come around in round 2 as RBs seem to be anymore...

Do we consider taking him?

Carey is and will be a complete back in the NFL. Similar style to Mendenhall - except durable and well better. Do we take the pick and ignore other needs? IMO he can do everything Arians wanted Mendenhall to do this year, and do it much better.

Thoughts?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't really trust Dre' as a complete back with his frame and I've never trusted Palmer so I wouldn't be against it. If Ka'Deem falls to our 2nd round pick he'd probably be the BPA at that point. However lil' Tweetness has probably soured Cards' fans feeling on RB's in the 2nd round.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
He's very similar to Ellington is size. A bigger back is what needs to be addressed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's very similar to Ellington is size. A bigger back is what needs to be addressed.

Totally different back though Carey runs as hard as any RB in college football. Kid is like a bowling ball in the original Super Mario game.

The first time you see it you think he's too small that was a fluke, but he just keeps breaking tackles

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just don't see the glaring need to spend a 2nd 3rd or 4th on a RB. I think Carey is a workhorse but lacks explosiveness.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As a Sun Devil and unabashed hater of the University of Northern Mexico in Tucson, I would say that Kadeem Carey in the 2nd round is a no brainer.

If you haven't watched him play, the kid is special. He is the rare back that has power, run vision, speed, hands, and blocking skills. Sure he's on the smaller size, but the kid is like a young Clinton Portis. I compare him to Portis in the fact that he isn't big, but runs much bigger.

I'm going to throw caution to the wind, and guarantee that Carey is going to be a Top 5 running back in the NFL starting probably in year two of his NFL career.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
As a Sun Devil and unabashed hater of the University of Northern Mexico in Tucson, I would say that Kadeem Carey in the 2nd round is a no brainer.

If you haven't watched him play, the kid is special. He is the rare back that has power, run vision, speed, hands, and blocking skills. Sure he's on the smaller size, but the kid is like a young Clinton Portis. I compare him to Portis in the fact that he isn't big, but runs much bigger.

I'm going to throw caution to the wind, and guarantee that Carey is going to be a Top 5 running back in the NFL starting probably in year two of his NFL career.

agreed.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So you Carey fans and I really want to hear from Russ - how does Carey compare to Marshawn Lynch coming out of college? From what I've read he is only 1 inch shorter and 10 lbs lighter. How do their running styles (coming out of college) compare?

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score

He can run but he sure needs a lot of work on his blocking.

As a Sun Devil fan I'm sure you saw Bradford send him head over heels while Carey was attempting to pass block.

In the NFL a back needs to be able to at least slow up rushers.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
He can run but he sure needs a lot of work on his blocking.

As a Sun Devil fan I'm sure you saw Bradford send him head over heels while Carey was attempting to pass block.

In the NFL a back needs to be able to at least slow up rushers.
I haven't seen alot of Carey but him being tossed around some is what I noticed in their bowl game. Obviously he'll get stronger in the NFL but the times I have seen him, once defenders got their hand on him, he was done.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I haven't seen alot of Carey but him being tossed around some is what I noticed in their bowl game. Obviously he'll get stronger in the NFL but the times I have seen him, once defenders got their hand on him, he was done.

Not sure what "tossed around" means, but if you're referring to being easily tackled, you're way off. Carey has that Adrian Peterson instinct in which he runs hard and angry every play and simply moves forward. More often than not, it takes more than one defender to bring him down.

Mind you, last season, defenses sold out on trying to stop Ka'Deem as there wasn't another viable threat in offense; yet, he still dominated on the ground.

16 100+ yard games in a row. That's remarkable.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

WTF tossed around? Seriously. This would be the opposite of Kadeem. Hes mini AP. My God he ran for 160 and 2 Tds in that game you saw against a much bigger more physical team.

Going back to the topic YES draft Kadeem in the 2nd if he is sitting there. I am as sure of him as I was about Gronk and firmly believe they both were/are the most sure thing prospects to come out of my alma mater. He will be a stud book it.

Kadeem and Elllington would be a true thunder and lightning combo.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
So you Carey fans and I really want to hear from Russ - how does Carey compare to Marshawn Lynch coming out of college? From what I've read he is only 1 inch shorter and 10 lbs lighter. How do their running styles (coming out of college) compare?

Comparable but Lynch runs much more upright and is slightly bigger.

This guy is like a pinball, tough to bring down, super quick, and hits the hole unbelievably fast. He isnt a 40 straight line runner so dont look to the combine for him to Wow people with elite speed although I think he will run in 4.5 range.

I would compare him to a more physical MJD or Michael Turner.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Awesome.

Props Tempe Normal.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Comparable but Lynch runs much more upright and is slightly bigger.

This guy is like a pinball, tough to bring down, super quick, and hits the hole unbelievably fast. He isnt a 40 straight line runner so dont look to the combine for him to Wow people with elite speed although I think he will run in 4.5 range.

I would compare him to a more physical MJD or Michael Turner.
I love me some Andre Ellington but I think that we need one of those RBs that get extra yards even after the second or third contact. That's why I'm curious about this kid.