Jazz @ Suns 3-13-19

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jazz visit the Suns on Wednesday for a 7 p.m. Arizona time game.

It will be televised on FSAZ.

The Jazz (37-29) will be a hungry team after their 98-89 loss at home to OKC on Monday. They have lost two games in a row.

Suns have won four of their last five games including taking down two of the best teams in the NBA in the Bucks and Warriors in this stretch.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an amazing stat for Tyler Johnson. Over the last five games he has 24 assists to only two turnovers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is an amazing stat for Tyler Johnson. Over the last five games he has 24 assists to only two turnovers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jesus, let's not get carried away. Tyler Johnson is NOT a point guard and he's not helping this team! People need to take a step back and quit letting a couple of wins blind them to what he really is, garbage! I'm sick and tired of seeing people overstate his impact on this team. Are our expectations really so low that we're calling Tyler Johnson a point guard? So he doesn't turn it over, neither does Bender and no one's calling him a PG or heaping praise on him.

:sarcasm:

Did I do that right or was I supposed to wait a little while longer?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Poop Head

I don't care about the label the Suns put on Tyler although I would call him a combo guard.

What really helps his game is he plays defense, does not turn the ball over, an adequate distributor and shoots good enough to keep defenses honest.

A combo guard works next to Booker.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Poop Head

I don't care about the label the Suns put on Tyler although I would call him a combo guard.

What really helps his game is he plays defense, does not turn the ball over, an adequate distributor and shoots good enough to keep defenses honest.

A combo guard works next to Booker.

I agree. I don't think he's the answer but I think he helped show that we'd be fine with a combo guard next to Booker in the long term. I thought we needed more of a facilitator like a Rubio or Rondo type but I think we could get away with more of a combo guard like a Dragic, only Dragic himself wouldn't work because he's too old and doesn't play defense. Offensively a guard like Dragic would be good next to Booker. If we can get a combo guard that defends well though it seems like Booker will put a lot more effort in himself so he's not the weakest link like he's been in the past. I think Oubre and Johnson have helped get Booker to wake up on that end of the floor and adding a PG or combo guard next to Booker who isn't a good defender might get him to revert to his old ways on the defensive end.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Tyler, he's really helped us, but he has an advantage that Booker did not have. He has Booker playing next to him. I think Devin would have a lot more assists and a lot fewer turnovers if his clone was playing next to him. That's not to say that I wouldn't much rather have Booker where he belongs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I don't think he's the answer but I think he helped show that we'd be fine with a combo guard next to Booker in the long term. I thought we needed more of a facilitator like a Rubio or Rondo type but I think we could get away with more of a combo guard like a Dragic, only Dragic himself wouldn't work because he's too old and doesn't play defense. Offensively a guard like Dragic would be good next to Booker. If we can get a combo guard that defends well though it seems like Booker will put a lot more effort in himself so he's not the weakest link like he's been in the past. I think Oubre and Johnson have helped get Booker to wake up on that end of the floor and adding a PG or combo guard next to Booker who isn't a good defender might get him to revert to his old ways on the defensive end.

I think Rubio is the type point guard the Suns need although I'm weary of overpaying for him.

Keeping Johnson and adding a player like McConnell at a lower price might work.

I want the Suns to be three players deep at point guard that are capable of starting.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
T.J. Warren (ankle soreness) is OUT tomorrow vs. Utah, Igor Kokoskov said after today’s practice. But Kokoskov said there have NOT been discussions yet about shutting Warren down for the rest of the season (14 games remaining, including tomorrow’s). #Suns

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T.J. Warren (ankle soreness) is OUT tomorrow vs. Utah, Igor Kokoskov said after today’s practice. But Kokoskov said there have NOT been discussions yet about shutting Warren down for the rest of the season (14 games remaining, including tomorrow’s). #Suns

Was there any doubt?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Tyler, he's really helped us, but he has an advantage that Booker did not have. He has Booker playing next to him. I think Devin would have a lot more assists and a lot fewer turnovers if his clone was playing next to him. That's not to say that I wouldn't much rather have Booker where he belongs.
This is one of the reasons I wouldn’t mind the Suns trading their 1st rd pick this year (if it’s not #1/Zion) for Bradley Beal. It would probably take more than the pick alone but could be worth it because of how well his game would compliment Booker’s.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I want the Suns to be three players deep at point guard that are capable of starting.

From three starting Point Guards to none to three. Why must it be extremes?

I'd rather see three Point Guards on the roster, each of whom would be comfortable in his role. To include a developing rookie.

Starter; second unit; strength off the bench. Same with Center.

The other three positions would be fine with just two, and the ability to cross-cover if one is lost.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From three starting Point Guards to none to three. Why must it be extremes?

I'd rather see three Point Guards on the roster, each of whom would be comfortable in his role. To include a developing rookie.

Starter; second unit; strength off the bench. Same with Center.

The other three positions would be fine with just two, and the ability to cross-cover if one is lost.

Adding two point guards next to Johnson would not be overload unless you do not want to count him as a point guard.

I'm not comfortable with Okobo and Melton as the second or third point guard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I wouldn’t mind the Suns trading their 1st rd pick this year (if it’s not #1/Zion) for Bradley Beal. It would probably take more than the pick alone but could be worth it because of how well his game would compliment Booker’s.

I'd gladly send them the pick, the Milwaukee pick, Josh Jackson and TJ Warren if that would get it done (or even get us close). I think they'd pair very well together. But I doubt Washington would be interested.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Jesus, let's not get carried away. Tyler Johnson is NOT a point guard and he's not helping this team! People need to take a step back and quit letting a couple of wins blind them to what he really is, garbage! I'm sick and tired of seeing people overstate his impact on this team. Are our expectations really so low that we're calling Tyler Johnson a point guard? So he doesn't turn it over, neither does Bender and no one's calling him a PG or heaping praise on him.

:sarcasm:

Did I do that right or was I supposed to wait a little while longer?

You forgot to include the mandatory lines about how terrible Igor is and how bad Sarver is. Jones too.
Other than that, 5/5 starts. :D

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd gladly send them the pick, the Milwaukee pick, Josh Jackson and TJ Warren if that would get it done (or even get us close). I think they'd pair very well together. But I doubt Washington would be interested.

I'd offer that package for Holiday too, although I'd prefer Beal due to youth and better 3 point shooting.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Rubio is the type point guard the Suns need although I'm weary of overpaying for him.

Keeping Johnson and adding a player like McConnell at a lower price might work.

I don’t see Rubio as that much better than Tyler. He might get more assists but he will also have more turnovers. I would just stick with Tyler unless we can pull a deal for a near star pg. not in favor of sideways moves.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

agree totally. for Beal, i probably make that deal. Not for Holiday.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Man, I'm not gonna complain about getting either Beal or Holiday.

Beal's numbers since Wall left are outrageous. (27/8/8 and 2.5 steals in March, 31/7/5 in February). He's quickly approaching Mega Star status. He's a guy you build around. My biggest problem is that he's a better version of Book. I don't love the redundancy and question the fit here.

Jrue brings a PG mentality with his elite D. He'd be more complimentary to Book and would bring some much needed experience. He should come a lot cheaper since his numbers have dipped since the AD fiasco plus he's 30.

I wouldn't offer the same package for both of them, but I'd go after one of them. Landing either would change the landscape.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see Rubio as that much better than Tyler. He might get more assists but he will also have more turnovers. I would just stick with Tyler unless we can pull a deal for a near star pg. not in favor of sideways moves.

This is why I do not want overpay for Rubio. He would be a nice addition for the right price but he has some games that he looks quite average.

I'd like to keep Tyler if the Suns can work around his contract.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Beal's numbers since Wall left are outrageous. (27/8/8 and 2.5 steals in March, 31/7/5 in February). He's quickly approaching Mega Star status. He's a guy you build around. My biggest problem is that he's a better version of Book. I don't love the redundancy and question the fit here.

Jrue brings a PG mentality with his elite D. He'd be more complimentary to Book and would bring some much needed experience. He should come a lot cheaper since his numbers have dipped since the AD fiasco plus he's 30.

I wouldn't offer the same package for both of them, but I'd go after one of them. Landing either would change the landscape.

Jrue is 28. He turns 29 in June.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd take Booker over Beal, no questions asked. Yes, Beal is probably slightly ahead of Devin right now (stats wise they appear to be almost a tossup) but Devin is 3.5 years younger. As for fit, I think they'd pair very well together and I don't see any more redundancy issues from pairing those two than I do with the Portland backcourt. But if Jrue was roughly the same age, he'd be an even better choice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson