Jason Starkey and "We are....Marshall" movie update

Herdman

Rookie
Reaction score
Only a mention of the Cards; but being a long time lurker, it seemed to be relevant to the board.
For anyone interested in the "We are....Marshall" major motion picture from Warner Brothers starring Matthew McConaughy, Matthew Fox, David Straithairn, Ian McShane, and a slew of other notable actors, I am working on renting a theater for a Phoenix premier in October or November. Hope to have such notable ex-Marshall stars living in the valley such as Coach Jack Lengyl, Starkey, Mike and Dan D'Antoni if available during basketball season (Mike was on the Marshall basketball team the same year as the plane crash) to attend to name a few. Anyone on the board affiliated with the Univesity,Tri-State area, or who find the story inspirational are welcomed. I will be working through the alumni association for a mailing, but if you want to be on a list for updates, please let me know.
Go Cards! Give 'em Hell Herd!

A conversation with Jason Starkey

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By Anthony Hanshew
The Herald-Dispatch
[/FONT]
s_prop1 = "By_ANTHONY_HANSHEW-The_Herald-Dispatch";HUNTINGTON -- On the list of all-time, home-grown greats, Jason Starkey ranks with the best in Marshall University football history.
The Barboursville native followed father James as a Thundering Herd player, serving as an offensive line anchor for much of his four-year career (1996-99). Starkey then graduated to the NFL, where he enjoyed a five-year run as center for the Arizona Cardinals.
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');
You must be registered for see images
His mean streak on the field is well-documented and helped lead to four consecutive championship seasons. Perhaps less known is that along with Melvin Cunningham, Starkey arguably is the best interview in modern Marshall football history.
During a recent return to Huntington from Arizona, Starkey openly spoke on numerous topics, ranging from the renewed presence of former players to Marshall's season opener at West Virginia. He opened the conversation by admitting, "you know I can't give a short answer," and only wrapped the interview because Bartrum and Brown Football Camp youngsters needed his attention.
Following are highlights from a 15-minute chat with the two-time All-Mid-American Conference lineman.
On the influence of Marshall football coach Mark Snyder in enhancing the presence of former players:
"Coach Snyder, I've only spoken with him briefly, but everything I've heard about that man has been very positive," Starkey said. "And this (last month's Bartrum and Brown Football Camp, featuring more than a dozen alumni) is a great example. This wouldn't have happened without him.
"I know the man's going to be successful, but regardless of whether he goes undefeated or what not, he's going to make good men out of everybody he coaches. He's going to help this community, this university and this program because he loves it.
"I can see that just by talking to my best friend, (New York Jets quarterback) Chad Pennington, and hearing what he has to say about the man. Meeting him, he knew exactly who I was and he took the time to seek me out and shake my hand.
"He has big shoes to fill, but just the way he's received the alumni, nobody's done it better than him. And not just the guys who were fortunate enough to make it to the league, but everybody, from the backups 10 years ago to the starters to the All Americans to the NFL players. We're all a family."
On Marshall's unique history because of the 1970 plane crash:
"I have a lot of respect for that and I believe a big reason why this community is to close is because of that," he said. "They did experience that. They did lose it all, didn't know if we were going to have a program at all. And we helped pick it up from the bottom and pull ourselves up.
"This stadium has been empty at times and it's been full at times, but we've always had support."
On this season's opening of a seven-game series with West Virginia University, scheduled for Sept. 2 in Morgantown:
"I just hope these guys here now realize how important that is and what an opportunity that is," Starkey said. "West Virginia is going to be a preseason top five team. Historically, when they're in the top 20 and expected to do well, they don't do well. I root for the Mountaineers, except for when they're playing the Herd.
"We're going to go there and I think it's going to be real tough. We might not win, but that doesn't mean we can't go there and play every play as hard as we can. Regardless of what the score is, go out and hit them in the mouth as hard as we can.
"I'm just glad for the opportunity and I'm happy for this team and this university because it's great for this state. It's a wonderful opportunity for both teams.
"They always played a MAC team, but they never sold out their stadium -- didn't even have half the (fans) show up. When they played us, it was packed. It makes sense for them. It makes sense for us. It's great for the state and both programs."
On the future of Marshall football:
"I was so proud to see Kansas State come here (in 2005)," he said. "That was monumental in my book. And I can't wait until we have double deckers in here (Joan C. Edwards Stadium) and we have Florida coming here and Florida State coming here and everybody's coming here and we're going there, and we're at that level.
"We get this to an SEC level, and ACC level, that's going to help every program and they're going to benefit from the avenues that we already have established."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson