Movie Video Audio Showcase

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know many of us have vast collections of Movies. We have all gone through the VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, 4K UHD phases and soon beyond. Just curious what your favorite movies are to showcase to friends and family or simply your favorites. It can be for the pristine video, amazing sound or both.

P.S. If this needs to be moved to Science & Technology that's fine. I debated where to put this.

Some I can think of off the top of my head for sound (although some could be on both audio/video):

Gravity
Mad Max: Fury Road
Ready Player One
Saving Private Ryan
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Top Gun: Maverick
Star Wars (take your pick)
Jurassic Park
Baby Driver
Twister

Video:
Dune
Planet Earth series
Wonder Woman
Alita Battle Angel
Blade Runner 2049
Oblivion
Hawksaw Ridge
It
John Wick 2

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know many of us have vast collections of Movies. We have all gone through the VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, 4K UHD phases and soon beyond. Just curious what your favorite movies are to showcase to friends and family. It can be for the pristine video, amazing sound or both.

P.S. If this needs to be moved to Science & Technology that's fine. I debated where to put this.
I don't have a spectacular system right now to showcase 4k and UHD, but back in the day, for DVD I would use the North By Northwest DVD and for BluRay I would use Speed Racer.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a spectacular system right now to showcase 4k and UHD, but back in the day, for DVD I would use the North By Northwest DVD and for BluRay I would use Speed Racer.
I forgot about Speed Racer. I remember when that hit Blu Ray, the colors were off the charts. The first time I had seen that showcased was in Best Buy or something.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My system right now could use a major overhaul, I'm just at a loss as to how to do it. I have a lot of content on a lot of drives, but no NAS and I'm almost certain my 4k TV and soundbar aren't set up to maximize their potential.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My system right now could use a major overhaul, I'm just at a loss as to how to do it. I have a lot of content on a lot of drives, but no NAS and I'm almost certain my 4k TV and soundbar aren't set up to maximize their potential.
That's a tough one. Because I have friends split down the middle on which to start with. Video or Audio.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's a tough one. Because I have friends split down the middle on which to start with. Video or Audio.
I feel like I'm closer on the video side. Audio is a mystery. But really, for me, it's about maximizing my storage and making sure my network connections are strong enough -- I use Plex and have a handful of external people connect to my server, and we have a lot of issues with their connection.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm closer on the video side. Audio is a mystery. But really, for me, it's about maximizing my storage and making sure my network connections are strong enough -- I use Plex and have a handful of external people connect to my server, and we have a lot of issues with their connection.
I have Plex as well but I am not opening it just yet (to my older two kids who want access). Soon. I probably lean more towards Audio. When it's done right it's transformative. While in some cases with Video, I am fine with the Blu Ray verses the 4K.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really have any. My friends/family don't really care about it like I do, lol.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'll start posting lists when I have some time. I can break down audio further to be based on bass, surrounds, heights, or a combo of all of them. I'll do multiple posts for it since I'll break things down separately.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I have Plex as well but I am not opening it just yet (to my older two kids who want access). Soon. I probably lean more towards Audio. When it's done right it's transformative. While in some cases with Video, I am fine with the Blu Ray verses the 4K.
Sound.

I used to have a pair of cerwin Vega Re38's...15 inch subs...
I got this pioneer control deck that had simulated surround sound.
I had to turn that poo off ..with just those two speakers I would be watching horror flicks ...and hear someone walking behind me. That poo just freaked me the hell out. My nerves were getting shot.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. I find audio easier but that's largely because I don't have the equipment to do a proper video calibration and haven't looked to spend the couple grand on it yet.

Feel free to ask away though on anything home theater related as far as audio, video, or storage setup and use. There's some of already in the cord cutter thread but I don't mind if you start up threads for different questions. I'm off the deep end with home theater. I build a lot of my stuff and have custom software written for my setup. :)

BTW, I haven't mentioned anywhere on site yet. I did a major screen upgrade 2 weeks ago. I moved from my cheap screen to a nice 130" Stewart Filmscreen. Things are looking amazing with it.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. I find audio easier but that's largely because I don't have the equipment to do a proper video calibration and haven't looked to spend the couple grand on it yet.

Feel free to ask away though on anything home theater related as far as audio, video, or storage setup and use. There's some of already in the cord cutter thread but I don't mind if you start up threads for different questions. I'm off the deep end with home theater. I build a lot of my stuff and have custom software written for my setup. :)

BTW, I haven't mentioned anywhere on site yet. I did a major screen upgrade 2 weeks ago. I moved from my cheap screen to a nice 130" Stewart Filmscreen. Things are looking amazing with it.
I am getting ready to upgrade my Silver Ticket. I have my eye on an Elite Screen.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I am getting ready to upgrade my Silver Ticket. I have my eye on an Elite Screen.
When you get ready to buy take a look at projectorscreen.com. I bought both my PJ and screen through them. Brian, the owner, is a good guy and post regularly on AVS. I DMed him when I was getting ready to buy. We went through a bunch of questions on what I was looking for and my room conditions then he gave some recommendations. Made it easy to dial into what fit my needs the best. They gave me a really good price on it too.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you get ready to buy take a look at projectorscreen.com. I bought both my PJ and screen through them. Brian, the owner, is a good guy and post regularly on AVS. I DMed him when I was getting ready to buy. We went through a bunch of questions on what I was looking for and my room conditions then he gave some recommendations. Made it easy to dial into what fit my needs the best. They gave me a really good price on it too.
Good to know. I am member of AVS as well.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
First post with movies. Instead of doing a big list I'm going to start out by just doing a few at a time. It's easier to get a minute here and there than to do a mega post.

Everything that I post about movies in this thread is strictly on audio and video. I'm not commenting here on the acting, writing, if I liked it, etc. Some of my favorites would never be listed here and I'll have some movies that I didn't care for but they have great bass or something to them. Also, all of these are based on the UHD unless otherwise noted. The source makes a big difference when it comes to sound.

LotR - Extended editions - This one has it all. The video updates that they did for the UHD look great. Some of the effects show but it's still looks amazing for 20 years old films. For audio this is a goat. The use of Atmos and surrounds is superb. Doors and other sounds appear in the room where they should be relative to the camera. Great use of bass too. Couple demo scenes. The Gandalf "don't mistake me for some conjurer" at Bags End has a really cool effect of Gandalf going from the center channel to all of the heights and surrounds and then back to center to make the visual. The Balrog is the other great demo between the visuals and sound that it has going.

Ready Player One - This is my main demo movie. Visuals are very good through out. Audio is excellent. The race scene near the start is usually my first demo. Visuals are cool in it with everything that's going on. The sound is great with the mix of heights and surrounds for the other racers, jumps, monsters, etc. Bass is also heavy in it. The wrecking ball, T-Rex, and especially Kong will shake the house. The other good demo is the Cataclyst bomb going off on near the end. It'll move the house.

Annihilation - Blu-ray (BD) - Visual are stunning in it. It has some really cool audio effect and bass use too. I don't have a demo scene but some of the bass from the "shimmer" effect can be disorienting. It vibes with the visuals nicely.

Pulse (2006) - BD - Kristen Bell one, not the Japanese original. I actually haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on it as a hole. It has THE bass demo scene in it though. The server room scene. I have just a clip of it. The bass in this scene will literally tear things apart. It's this rolling pulse that really moves. I've heard that the rest of the movie is average for sound and not worth it if you're only looking for sound demos which is why I never bothered with it. Not my genre.

Bourne Identity - Picture quality is good on it but nothing flashy. Bass is also average. This one makes the list though for the DTS:X soundtrack. They did a great job of using the heights in it. The rain in the opening scene sounds like it's raining in the room. Gun shot come from the proper height and direction. Over all it's an example of how to use the extra speakers to where they fit the action without overloading the viewer.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Couple for tonight. BTW, I'm not touching movies that have been mentioned by others since they're already known. I'll backfill on them later on.

Battle: Los Angeles - BD - Decent visuals. This one is a bass monster though. One of the top movies ever for rattling you throughout it. Not too many movies have a low end graph to match it.

TRON: Legacy - BD - Visual are amazing in it. Bass is top of the line in it. It pounds you nicely. The Daft Punk soundtrack really gives your subs a work out. Immersive sound is good but only 7 channel so it could be better, but... Kosinski confirmed last month that a UHD with an Atmos soundtrack is coming. It'll be a day one buy for me.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World - This movie is good on all three fronts. The visuals aren't always splashy but there's some good stuff in it. Bass monster and the rest of the mix is really good. My demo scene from it is the battle of the bands with the ex. It has some cool visuals to go along with the wall of sound. The BD on this one is good too. I had it before upgrading to the UHD.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - Really good on all 3 fronts. The visuals are really good in it. The sound is great all around and it's a bass monster. Few good demos from it. The drums beating, the rhino chase scene, and then the final battle.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Interstellar - This movie is an A+ in all three categories. The visuals are stunning, great use of sound stage even though it's only a 5.1 sound track, and it's a bass monster. Not sure on a demo scene from it. Maybe when they first see the wormhole and go through it. Cool visual that got the physics right.

Serenity - This is one where getting the UHD over the BD makes a big difference. The cleanup that they did on the video looks great and then they added a phenomenal Atmos track to it. It's really active and properly used. Bass monster too. I like the opening escape scene as a demo since it shows off most aspects. The space battle to kick off the last act is a good one too.

Finch - AppleTV+ - Effects and visuals are really good in it. Really good bass and great use of the surrounds and heights. The tornado scene in it is an Atmos demo for me. It has some really cool effects that whip around the room from floor to ceiling.

Greyhound - AppleTV+ - I'll stick with the Tom Hanks for ATV movies here. Visuals were good and fit the topic but wasn't anything splashy. Over all sound was good but this had some really good bass in it that was a little different than most bass movies. You might need seat shakers for it though over a sub only setup. Basically the entire move you get bass hit every time the ship smashes down in the rough waters. I was sore after it since it felt like I was along for the ride.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interstellar - This movie is an A+ in all three categories. The visuals are stunning, great use of sound stage even though it's only a 5.1 sound track, and it's a bass monster. Not sure on a demo scene from it. Maybe when they first see the wormhole and go through it. Cool visual that got the physics right.

Serenity - This is one where getting the UHD over the BD makes a big difference. The cleanup that they did on the video looks great and then they added a phenomenal Atmos track to it. It's really active and properly used. Bass monster too. I like the opening escape scene as a demo since it shows off most aspects. The space battle to kick off the last act is a good one too.

Finch - AppleTV+ - Effects and visuals are really good in it. Really good bass and great use of the surrounds and heights. The tornado scene in it is an Atmos demo for me. It has some really cool effects that whip around the room from floor to ceiling.

Greyhound - AppleTV+ - I'll stick with the Tom Hanks for ATV movies here. Visuals were good and fit the topic but wasn't anything splashy. Over all sound was good but this had some really good bass in it that was a little different than most bass movies. You might need seat shakers for it though over a sub only setup. Basically the entire move you get bass hit every time the ship smashes down in the rough waters. I was sore after it since it felt like I was along for the ride.
Intersellar is phenomenal for both Audio/Video. Also agree on the UHD remaster. The Blu looked good but the UHD looks great.