Jadaveon Clowney

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As expected he declared. he probably should have just done it before the game since he basically mailed in the part of the game I watched. I fully understand why he's considered the most talented player in the draft but my goodness he takes plays off.

I watched the whole first half and on run plays he doesn't even try, he never chases down plays from the backside, half the time he just holds onto the blocker. It's like if I can't pass rush, I won't play. They finally called him on it when on replay you could see 3 of his teammates run by him pursuing the guy with the ball on a run play.

I hope for his sake he has an on switch and knows when to flip it because stuff like that won't impress NFL scouts at all. Freakish talent, just doesn't play hard at all.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember where I read it but the article stated that he was taking plays off to ensure that he wouldn't get hurt this season since he was going to declare for the NFL.
That just makes him a really bad team mate IMHO.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As expected he declared. he probably should have just done it before the game since he basically mailed in the part of the game I watched. I fully understand why he's considered the most talented player in the draft but my goodness he takes plays off.

I watched the whole first half and on run plays he doesn't even try, he never chases down plays from the backside, half the time he just holds onto the blocker. It's like if I can't pass rush, I won't play. They finally called him on it when on replay you could see 3 of his teammates run by him pursuing the guy with the ball on a run play.

I hope for his sake he has an on switch and knows when to flip it because stuff like that won't impress NFL scouts at all. Freakish talent, just doesn't play hard at all.

I think once he signs that contract then he will try and prove he belongs in the NFL. No point in blowing out a knee his last game and drop in the draft and lose possible millions. At least, I think....hopefully he isn't another Andrew Bynum.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think once he signs that contract then he will try and prove he belongs in the NFL. No point in blowing out a knee his last game and drop in the draft and lose possible millions. At least, I think....hopefully he isn't another Andrew Bynum.

Ask any athlete who's played a sport and they'll tell you it's when you stop playing hard that you're at teh biggest risk of injury.

The kid is a freak, if I knew for sure he'd play hard I'd go out of my way to pick him first if I were an NFL GM. The thing is it's not that easy to flip the switch, he looked far too comfortable just standing around in the game today.

Even on the pass rush he's one of those guys who if they roll away from him he'll just stop his rush. I get Wisconsin is a running team but that doesn't mean you take the game off.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They had a blurb on him at the half of a college basketball game I was watching last night. Said that he was quoted as saying before the game I thought about it and knew it was the last 60 minutes of my college career, and that in hindsight he shouldn't have bothered to put his pads on since he barely showed up for the game.

Will Brinson of CBS defended Clowney saying the accusation he took off the whole year was ridiculous it's hard to make plays when you're doubled and tripled on every down.

I'm sure he'll go very high, some are saying 2nd overall, to the Rams. Terrific talent one just wonders if it's going to be easy for him to turn on that switch again after coasting his whole junior year.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Ther knock on Robert Quinn was that he took plays off too, well that and his agent dealings, but he's turned out ok. Clowney will be fine.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ther knock on Robert Quinn was that he took plays off too, well that and his agent dealings, but he's turned out ok. Clowney will be fine.

Signed Wendell Bryant ;)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Once a dog, always a dog. These issues will come up again with Clowney, sooner or later.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

Man the Rams are in a good spot. They don't need a pass rusher, and someone like Atlanta will probably offer a generous trade to get Clowney at #2.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

He is a real talent and will go in top 10. I think the NFL will make him play the entire game and not take plays off. I sure would like to have him on our team. He is a real sackmaster. One of the best if not the best that SC has ever had at DE

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
maybe we can convince 19 other teams of this and Clowney is there at 20. :)

I would bet my house and cat that he will be long gone before we draft. I watched him in 3-4 games this year and some last year. I base my knowledge of him on what I saw and not what I read. He is one of the best if not the best at his position in the SEC.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quinn didn't even play the last year though, he was suspended. Interesting story he and 2 other former players got letters of disassociation from UNC banning them from any contact with the school athletics department or players. He said he was surprised to get it but had no hard feelings I've moved on I'm a pro now. Actually the reason you got that letter is the NCAA mandated it because you were suspended for being a pro, while in college.

I'm not saying Clowney won't be a great pro, he certainly has the talent to do so, but it was startling to see how little effort he put forth yesterday. It was his last college game, he mailed it in.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is a real talent and will go in top 10. I think the NFL will make him play the entire game and not take plays off. I sure would like to have him on our team. He is a real sackmaster. One of the best if not the best that SC has ever had at DE

Agreed, he's the best player in the draft. But he's lazy, and if you pick him really high you have to know you're taking the risk in the belief that he actually will flip that switch and play hard when he's being paid to play.

I can see the argument some make, nothing he did this year was going to make him go any higher than he was already going to go, so he protected himself all year. I completely get that, just not convinced that's a very admirable trait for a potential #1 overall pick to have.

He probably will be a great NFL player he's certainly talented enough to be, but there's that risk he won't play any harder in the NFL than he did in college.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Agreed, he's the best player in the draft. But he's lazy, and if you pick him really high you have to know you're taking the risk in the belief that he actually will flip that switch and play hard when he's being paid to play.

I can see the argument some make, nothing he did this year was going to make him go any higher than he was already going to go, so he protected himself all year. I completely get that, just not convinced that's a very admirable trait for a potential #1 overall pick to have.

He probably will be a great NFL player he's certainly talented enough to be, but there's that risk he won't play any harder in the NFL than he did in college.
He's not lazy behind the wheel :D.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not lazy behind the wheel :D.

Yeah I didn't even mention the recent driving incidents.

It'll be interesting to watch, if he gets to the NFL and decides I want to be great, he'll be a perennial all pro. If he thinks he can coast in the NFL and get by on raw talent probably not going to happen.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, it rubbed me the wrong way as well Russ.

I mean, compare how he played, and seemed to care, compared to Manziel and his bowl game the night before. Every reason people can think of for Clowney tanking it, could apply to JF as well. And, there is no doubt JF CARED about winning that game and gave it his all. I mean, crap, why can't a DE be just as fired up about a game that doesn't really matter?

They all matter. Your coaches and teammates deserve all you have, every single game.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
They had a blurb on him at the half of a college basketball game I was watching last night. Said that he was quoted as saying before the game I thought about it and knew it was the last 60 minutes of my college career, and that in hindsight he shouldn't have bothered to put his pads on since he barely showed up for the game.

Will Brinson of CBS defended Clowney saying the accusation he took off the whole year was ridiculous it's hard to make plays when you're doubled and tripled on every down.

I'm sure he'll go very high, some are saying 2nd overall, to the Rams. Terrific talent one just wonders if it's going to be easy for him to turn on that switch again after coasting his whole junior year.

The Rams already have Clowney on their team. His name is Robert Quinn.

Bold prediction: The Rams trade that pick to the Bucs and get a bushel

of draft picks. Then they select Sammy Watkins at 7

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard