Is pro sports pushing us away?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I personally don't think it is worth it to go to live games anymore. I'd rather just sit at home and watch the game on my 4K TV in surround sound. No Traffic, No A-Holes, No Waiting in Line, No Parking, No $18 beers, No crappy overpriced stadium food, no security checks, etc...

I may go to a playoff game for the Atmosphere but no way I pay big bucks for season tickets or a regular season game anymore. It just isn't worth it to me and I would rather spend my hard earned money elsewhere where I can get better bang for the buck.
I'll personally still go to games when the Cards are in town. That happens so rarely that the cost is minimal.

Borderrat

Veteran
Reaction score
This is not about politics. These kind of responses will push this thread into P and R.
Simple question. Are owners and sports pushing us into a streaming fan base.
The more that I think about it they already have.
The answer for me is yes. I gave up my season tickets after 30 years because of the costs associated with going to a game. I quit buying any clothing, memorabilia, etc. A couple other reasons as well but those are off topic here.

When enough people do this, things might change. That includes watching the games on cable and supporting the advertisers that generate the majority of the NFL revenue. Not even close to that happening. I do support capitalism. Get the money you can get. When it affects me and I feel enough is enough then I quit paying into the revenue stream.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’d rather a player get it than the owner keep it.

This isn’t really about gate revenue; salaries are rising because of TV deals. Within the cap it’s taking from RBs and TEs to pay QBs and Safeties.
Yep. I'd rather the worker's make more than the owners.

I watch games to see Kyler Murray, not Michael Bidwill.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean WTF?

We have become numb to the numbers. Watson 250m. this guy 190m…that guy 60m signing bonus.

Think about those numbers. Is there any concern about the common fan? Are we soon all going to just be a streaming fan base?

How much will it take before Joe Fan can’t afford season tickets, parking and concessions. Or how about a partial season tickets or maybe even a single game for him and his family.

Do owners care? Do players care? Does a stadium have to be full when you have corporations paying millions for corporate suites?

It’s getting sickening to see players insisting on “ a little bit more” than the last guy to sign. When is enough enough? Is there REALLY a big difference between 80m and 75m?

Are we that far off from the first $1B player contract? And when it gets to that point will THAT be enough?

When is enough for you? You ever tell your employer na I’ve Made enough I don’t need anymore?

Didn’t think so.

What athletes make compared to what they can generate for a city is actually pretty small. Athletes for all they make they are still pretty much low man on the totem pole. Not one guy playing sports today is worth more than the guy who owns the team he plays for.

Make the game affordable to the fan? In case you haven’t been paying attention the average American can barely afford the bills they have every month. Since about 1980 the wealth gap has exploded

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think it is worth it to go to live games anymore. I'd rather just sit at home and watch the game on my 4K TV in surround sound. No Traffic, No A-Holes, No Waiting in Line, No Parking, No $18 beers, No crappy overpriced stadium food, no security checks, etc...

I may go to a playoff game for the Atmosphere but no way I pay big bucks for season tickets or a regular season game anymore. It just isn't worth it to me and I would rather spend my hard earned money elsewhere where I can get better bang for the buck.
I felt this way a long time ago and dropped my tickets the year after our SB run. Another big factor is that after commute, tailgating, and the game, you would dedicate at least 10 Sundays of the year.

Value wise, things have only gotten worse.

I'm still going to see the Cards in Denver since I live here now and I want to visit most stadiums anyway. It is a once in a few/several years purchase vs 10+ a year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This has become the biggest factor for me due to bringing my boys. I feel that representation has increased exponentially.
NFL crowds are full of "wants to fight" guys. We were season ticket holders for a year, and saw fist fights every single game. We even saw a car intentionally hit another car. That was 10+ years ago, it's hard to believe it's worse now.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, we still go. Why stop now? I haven't missed any regular-season games since the team moved here and my wife and I have had our season tickets since the year we met (1993). We've seen so many memorable games, been to a Super Bowl, and met friends (many through ASFN). Just something about the game-day experience you don't get staring at a flat-screen from your couch, but maybe that's just us. Helps that we are dual income no kids.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I only like going to the club level because it is a mix between home comforts and a stadium experience.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I felt this way a long time ago and dropped my tickets the year after our SB run. Another big factor is that after commute, tailgating, and the game, you would dedicate at least 10 Sundays of the year.

Value wise, things have only gotten worse.

I'm still going to see the Cards in Denver since I live here now and I want to visit most stadiums anyway. It is a once in a few/several years purchase vs 10+ a year.

Yeah I may make the Raiders game in Las Vegas

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, we still go. Why stop now? I haven't missed any regular-season games since the team moved here and my wife and I have had our season tickets since the year we met (1993). We've seen so many memorable games, been to a Super Bowl, and met friends (many through ASFN). Just something about the game-day experience you don't get staring at a flat-screen from your couch, but maybe that's just us. Helps that we are dual income no kids.

The big thing is the no kids. That kind of changed everything for us. I can't take Chloe to regular seats.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And mostly empty many games...or it looks like it from where the comm people sit/stand. ;)

One of us is sitting on a couch watching the game in the club with the 6 year old and the other is enjoying the game old style.

It's unfortunately the reality for any game we go to until she gets a little older.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I mean WTF?

We have become numb to the numbers. Watson 250m. this guy 190m…that guy 60m signing bonus.

Think about those numbers. Is there any concern about the common fan? Are we soon all going to just be a streaming fan base?

How much will it take before Joe Fan can’t afford season tickets, parking and concessions. Or how about a partial season tickets or maybe even a single game for him and his family.

Do owners care? Do players care? Does a stadium have to be full when you have corporations paying millions for corporate suites?

It’s getting sickening to see players insisting on “ a little bit more” than the last guy to sign. When is enough enough? Is there REALLY a big difference between 80m and 75m?

Are we that far off from the first $1B player contract? And when it gets to that point will THAT be enough?
This. First, I don't think players care, or at least that's nowhere close to their priority and I don't blame them. Do I wish they care about fans? Of course, I do. But at the end of the day, their job is to perform the best to their ability in the game and bring home the best compensation to their ability. Anything else comes second. Heck, I wish they care about winning before everything. But that's not a priority to many players anymore.

I believe the owners only care about the revenue rather than fans' opinion. They will be satisfied as long as the corporate suites and premium seats got filled. My buddy knows someone who once saw the balance sheets of Cardinals. And he was told that the major income comes from those business suites, the premium seats, and accommodation associated with them. In the revenue's perspective, those upper deck seats would a be plus if filled, but not a big deal if not.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Attachments

• dink.jpg
    dink.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When is enough for you? You ever tell your employer na I’ve Made enough I don’t need anymore?

Didn’t think so.

What athletes make compared to what they can generate for a city is actually pretty small. Athletes for all they make they are still pretty much low man on the totem pole. Not one guy playing sports today is worth more than the guy who owns the team he plays for.

Make the game affordable to the fan? In case you haven’t been paying attention the average American can barely afford the bills they have every month. Since about 1980 the wealth gap has exploded
Yes . I have never told my employer not to give me a raise, which was usually about $.25 an hour.
How about we keep the comparisons a little bit closer than a row boat and the Queen Mary?
Edit. Let the record show I respect your opinion.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes . I have never told my employer not to give me a raise, which was usually about $.25 an hour.
How about we keep the comparisons a little bit closer than a row boat and the Queen Mary?
Edit. Let the record show I respect your opinion.

It’s the exact same situation it’s just on a different scale.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean WTF?

I think their contracts have a lot more to do with TV revenue than ticket pricing

I don't really care anything about what the players make though. That's a personal one for those it bothers.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think their contracts have a lot more to do with TV revenue than ticket pricing

I don't really care anything about what the players make though. That's a personal one for those it bothers.
Way more, like 7-10x more.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It doesn’t bother me what the players make and I’m all for capitalism but how much more does the upper crust need?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard