Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think today there's a scheduled press conference with Ishbia and James Jones. James Jones was supposed to talk Monday, but threw Royce and Allen to the wolves instead.

98.7 was told Monday that James Jones would NOT be speaking as scheduled. JJ was going to speak Wednesday with the owner, Matt Ishbia, instead. I went to Suns.com but see no mention of a press conference. Maybe more has to be hashed out?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Vogel did have IT and Saben Lee. Both not used like the rest of the bench. Vogel needs to go yesterday

It appears IT was added to the team for appearance more than anything else because he received little playing time.

Saban Lee wasn't even on the playoff roster. Anyway, Saban was not the floor leader the Suns needed.

There were some point guards available the Suns could have signed earlier if they wanted, not name players, but they could have contributed more than IT.

If Frank Vogel really wanted a point guard, it's hard to believe he wouldn't have been provided one.

I don't want to hear excuses, either from Frank Vogel or James Jones.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So the Suns plan is to add a point guard, center and a large wing?

Who didn't see this as a need all season.

And IT and Damion Lee were occupying spots on the bench.
DUH! WE all know this. WHO? When you ask experts they don't know, or give out names impossible for us because of contracts, lack of assets, etc. This is where I get angry. Not so much with Gambo on this post because he is just relaying info. But any of the NBA shows say the same thing, but no one ever says how we do that. I have seen trade scenarios with Bradley Beal as the piece. His contract in unmovable. The Suns knew when they traded for him his contract was written in BLOOD, not ink, blood. Even if the Suns moved Booker and KD, Beal is here to stay. His contact has a $52 million player option at the end of it. Who is trading for that? IDK if it's allowed in trades in the NBA, but we would have to send cash on that deal!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DUH! WE all know this. WHO? When you ask experts they don't know, or give out names impossible for us because of contracts, lack of assets, etc. This is where I get angry. Not so much with Gambo on this post because he is just relaying info. But any of the NBA shows say the same thing, but no one ever says how we do that. I have seen trade scenarios with Bradley Beal as the piece. His contract in unmovable. The Suns knew when they traded for him his contract was written in BLOOD, not ink, blood. Even if the Suns moved Booker and KD, Beal is here to stay. His contact has a $52 million player option at the end of it. Who is trading for that? IDK if it's allowed in trades in the NBA, but we would have to send cash on that deal!

I know voices in the media that were beating the drum almost all season the Suns didn't need a point guard. Then it changed to, well, they could use a backup point guard. They weren't helping the cause.

The Suns could have waived a player if they really wanted too and signed a vet minimum point guard. Ish Smith and Raul Neto were a couple of those players.

The Suns needs were obvious all season: point guard, a backup center for Nurkic and a power forward.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know voices in the media that were beating the drum almost all season the Suns didn't need a point guard. Then it changed to, well, they could use a backup point guard. They weren't helping the cause.

The Suns could have waived a player if they really wanted too and signed a vet minimum point guard. Ish Smith and Raul Neto were a couple of those players.

The Suns needs were obvious all season: point guard, a backup center for Nurkic and a power forward.
Just recently the tall wing is being thrown in there because Ant Man torched us. The PG thing was about fifty/fifty in the media. It started out as our number one problem was no PG. Then it started getting push back by some media saying our guys all could bring the ball up. Not accounting for who is going to get the guys in position to receive the ball in their spots.

Bredon Klein who writes for Suns.com has a podcast and he made a good point. IF you wanted a PG, and the big three on the floor, then Allen is out of lineup. Allen has feasted on being left open as guys double the big three. Also that means you are playing small all the time. Even with Nurkic out there.

One of the solutions is to have Beal become our sixth man. It's a crazy amount of money to spend on a guy coming off the bench. That would allow a PG and Allen to stay on the floor. That presents another potential problem, IF we do get that long wing to guard guys like Ant Man, then Allen will HAVE to be moved to the bench, too.

My solution is a tall PG. Then you potentially have your PG/Tall wing in one guy.

This problematic set up we have, it's almost begging for a new HC that can manage this situation.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just recently the tall wing is being thrown in there because Ant Man torched us. The PG thing was about fifty/fifty in the media. It started out as our number one problem was no PG. Then it started getting push back by some media saying our guys all could bring the ball up. Not accounting for who is going to get the guys in position to receive the ball in their spots.

Bredon Klein who writes for Suns.com has a podcast and he made a good point. IF you wanted a PG, and the big three on the floor, then Allen is out of lineup. Allen has feasted on being left open as guys double the big three. Also that means you are playing small all the time. Even with Nurkic out there.

One of the solutions is to have Beal become our sixth man. It's a crazy amount of money to spend on a guy coming off the bench. That would allow a PG and Allen to stay on the floor. That presents another potential problem, IF we do get that long wing to guard guys like Ant Man, then Allen will HAVE to be moved to the bench, too.

My solution is a tall PG. Then you potentially have your PG/Tall wing in one guy.

This problematic set up we have, it's almost begging for a new HC that can manage this situation.

Size wasn't always the issue. IMO, point guard was the bigger problem. This is not to say the Suns don't need more size upfront.

It would have helped to keep Booker fresh and the team stable if they had a rotation point guard to start the fourth quarter and other points of the game when the offense stagnated.

We saw how Conley did just that with the Timberwolves.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Size wasn't always the issue. IMO, point guard was the bigger problem. This is not to say the Suns don't need more size upfront.

It would have helped to keep Booker fresh and the team stable if they had a rotation point guard to start the fourth quarter and other points of the game when the offense stagnated.

We saw how Conley did just that with the Timberwolves.
There was reason we kept getting mentioned as a trade partner with him. There's also a reason the wasn't traded. If we keep this pick there's a couple good PGs at 22 that could help. However that's rookie help. I would almost bet if JJ stays we are flipping that pick for a veteran player.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was reason we kept getting mentioned as a trade partner with him. There's also a reason the wasn't traded. If we keep this pick there's a couple good PGs at 22 that could help. However that's rookie help. I would almost bet if JJ stays we are flipping that pick for a veteran player.

IMO, the Suns will likely have to trade the 2024 pick because their window is so small. If the Suns could somehow get a two for one in the trade, even better. The new CBA makes trades so difficult because of the salary situation.

The Suns couldn't even get a trade done for TJ McConnell.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I hate the fact that James Jones is just skating by with all media focus on Vogel getting canned. It’s time to move on from Jones but it seems all but assured that’s not even a consideration from Suns brass.
I think if you are doing what the owners want, which is what he does, it buys you more time. On paper BEFORE the season started we were all singing his praises where all these guys flooded in to play with us. The roster construction problems started rearing their ugly heads. Does the owner see that? part of the blame going around NBA circles is us not developing guys we bright in, and a good number went other places and played better. Roster (GM), not utilizing players well (coaching), and possibly an owner who forced the GMs hand (ownership). There's enough blame to go around. Fans booing the Suns did their part, imho, letting everyone know the product is not good. Game four the guys who cover the Suns said you could really hear it. Fire Vogel chants were loud. They said the way the sound is recorded for TV in the stadium with the loud music in the background made it appear fans were happy watching the game.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate the fact that James Jones is just skating by with all media focus on Vogel getting canned. It’s time to move on from Jones but it seems all but assured that’s not even a consideration from Suns brass.
If he's really been the decision maker the past few years, I see no way he makes it through the offseason. OTOH, if he's just a figurehead, who better to take the public scrutiny? I suspect they'll fire him when they need a public scapegoat and replace him with another former player with a good reputation. Is Elgin Baylor available or is "dead" a deal killer for this organization?

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lol I love seeing these mock..

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If he's really been the decision maker the past few years, I see no way he makes it through the offseason. OTOH, if he's just a figurehead, who better to take the public scrutiny? I suspect they'll fire him when they need a public scapegoat and replace him with another former player with a good reputation. Is Elgin Baylor available or is "dead" a deal killer for this organization?

JJ is still around because he’s got a good reputation with players around the league. Ishbia is making the decision. Eric Gordon who was a veteran minimum guy said Ishbia was recruiting him directly. It’s probably one of those things where it’s up to JJ if he wants the title without any authority or he can quit. I don’t he’d latch on somewhere else with the same title.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JJ is still around because he’s got a good reputation with players around the league. Ishbia is making the decision. Eric Gordon who was a veteran minimum guy said Ishbia was recruiting him directly. It’s probably one of those things where it’s up to JJ if he wants the title without any authority or he can quit. I don’t he’d latch on somewhere else with the same title.
At the time, Eric Gordon was a major get. If JJ wasn't even recruiting him but Ishbia did, then what the hell do we need JJ for?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though the Suns have killed the idea and Booker's team has said Stephen A. Smith is full of it......if this is true?

"New York is "willing to offer almost anything" to pair Booker with Brunson, per Phoenix sports reporter Gerald Bourguet."

Almost anything?!? You have to consider a massive haul if you think this team isn't going to do it as built. Sounds like you could get a massive hall of future assets. Like I did with Stephen A. Smith's comments, taking this with a massive grain of salt. Still. Makes you go Mmmmmmm and no I don't think Booker is really going anywhere.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Durant - $47 mil

Randle + Bogdanovich - $48 mil

Knicks have all their picks plus picks from Dallas, Detroit and Milwaukee. I can see something centered around that deal. I just can’t see them going all out and trading Book yet.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though the Suns have killed the idea and Booker's team has said Stephen A. Smith is full of it......if this is true?

"New York is "willing to offer almost anything" to pair Booker with Brunson, per Phoenix sports reporter Gerald Bourguet."

Almost anything?!? You have to consider a massive haul if you think this team isn't going to do it as built. Sounds like you could get a massive hall of future assets. Like I did with Stephen A. Smith's comments, taking this with a massive grain of salt. Still. Makes you go Mmmmmmm and no I don't think Booker is really going anywhere.

I think @Phrazbit might literally kill someone in the Suns Front Office if Randle ends up a Sun as a result of Booker getting traded to New York.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Durant - $47 mil

Randle + Bogdanovich - $48 mil

Knicks have all their picks plus picks from Dallas, Detroit and Milwaukee. I can see something centered around that deal. I just can’t see them going all out and trading Book yet.

If Randle/Bog get a couple of picks thrown in, I might consider that.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I guess no one was expecting anything different.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
From the summaries I've seen, this sounds like the consensus. It doesn't appear Ishbia is getting it. They still may (or may not) replace Vogel, but other than that, it sounds like next season will essentially be a repeat of this one.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
They don't have much of a choice but to bring everyone back.

What is desperately needed is a coach with a plan that doesn't require a point guard. We are not going to land a PG good enough to offset the guy he replaces in the rotation. A back up PG, might help a little, but isn't going to turn this group into a championship team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the summaries I've seen, this sounds like the consensus. It doesn't appear Ishbia is getting it. They still may (or may not) replace Vogel, but other than that, it sounds like next season will essentially be a repeat of this one.

Great…

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a hot mess. The starting 5 is coming back with no way to really upgrade the roster. So, more of the same. We are going to get basically min guys to tweak the bench. That's what that really says. Now our only hope truly is a getting a new coach for anything to change.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort