Is Paul Goldschmidt past his prime?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
For you rock musical enthusiasts and to the tune of Andrew Lloyd-Webber's "Jesus Christ Superstar":

Every time I look at you I don't understand
Why you let the things you did get so out of hand.
You'd have managed better if you'd had it planned.
Why'd you choose such a backward time in such a strange land?

If you'd come today you could have remained a sensation.
Phoenix in 2018 has no mass participation.
Don't you get me wrong.
I only want to know.

Paul Goldschmidt, Paul Goldschmidt,
Who are you? What have you sacrificed?
Paul Goldschmidt, Superstar,
Do you think you're what they say you are?

I hope you don't mind satire. :)

There's not much left to the D-backs at this time.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen, I apologize if this has been discussed in this thread.... too long for me to read through all of it.

Why in the hell is Goldy taking so many first strikes this year on what look like very hittable pitches right down the pipe? At what point does he, or a coach, say "Look a lot of at bats the best pitch you get is the first one, so swing at it."

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Listen, I apologize if this has been discussed in this thread.... too long for me to read through all of it.

Why in the hell is Goldy taking so many first strikes this year on what look like very hittable pitches right down the pipe? At what point does he, or a coach, say "Look a lot of at bats the best pitch you get is the first one, so swing at it."
I've posted my opinion repeatedly. Declining eye/hand coordination. Earlier than anyone would have expected.

Clear vision (he has been seen squinting at bat since last season). And his bat speed is down. When a superstar loses those skills, he then loses confidence. How could he not?

Regarding first strikes, Goldy has always used the Ted Williams approach. If you don't deem it to be a strike, don't swing. As we have seen with the new electronic equipment, you can't count on consistency from umpires. And, as Goldy has declined, he is not going to get the almost-MVP benefit of the doubt from the umps anymore.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've posted my opinion repeatedly. Declining eye/hand coordination. Earlier than anyone would have expected.

Clear vision (he has been seen squinting at bat since last season). And his bat speed is down. When a superstar loses those skills, he then loses confidence. How could he not?

Regarding first strikes, Goldy has always used the Ted Williams approach. If you don't deem it to be a strike, don't swing. As we have seen with the new electronic equipment, you can't count on consistency from umpires. And, as Goldy has declined, he is not going to get the almost-MVP benefit of the doubt from the umps anymore.

If a pitcher paints a corner on the first pitch that is one thing. That's a good pitch, a hitter is probably going to hit a grounder and be out.

But, I am talking about pitches that are over the plate and in the strike zone. He was driving me crazy in the Nationals series. It seemed to me he wasn't thinking about attacking a pitch, but taking it and trying to get the count in his favor. It seems to me pitchers have adjusted and don't feel like they have to throw an outstanding first pitch. Just groove it in there and take an easy strike.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If a pitcher paints a corner on the first pitch that is one thing. That's a good pitch, a hitter is probably going to hit a grounder and be out.

But, I am talking about pitches that are over the plate and in the strike zone. He was driving me crazy in the Nationals series. It seemed to me he wasn't thinking about attacking a pitch, but taking it and trying to get the count in his favor. It seems to me pitchers have adjusted and don't feel like they have to throw an outstanding first pitch. Just groove it in there and take an easy strike.
I see. So, yes, the question is ... why is Paul automatically taking first pitch strikes? He's giving up one out of three precious strikes. And may never see a hittable strike in the at-bat again. Although I did see him swing at first pitches three at-bats in a row recently.

Well, it is either emotional or physical. A faulty pro-active plan or a reaction. Do you think we'll ever find out?

And why is Avila striking out in more than half of his at-bats? Is he trying to hit every ball in the seats? Is "lift" the culprit? I think it is the primary reason. And that falls squarely on the Manager and Hitting Coach. The trend will eventually change. Are the D-backs blindly following?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good chat BC.

Let's see what Goldy does with first pitches in this Mets series. I could biased. I love aggressive hitters, and hate seeing strikes taken too often.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is Goldschmidt at risk?
That same last paragraph applies to Goldschmidt, too, of course, should he drop below the Mendoza line.

At first glance, Goldy's BABIP doesn't look askew at .295, but his career mark is .352 because he crushes baseballs. Herein lies the issue so far this year.

Unlike Rizzo, Goldschmidt isn't really hitting the ball as hard as he has in the past. It's evident to the eye test and the numbers bear it out. His hard hit percentage is down a tick (41.4 percent compared to 44.3 percent in 2017), but it's the soft hit percentage that is alarming (21.2 percent compared to 11.3 percent last season). Over 1/5 of the balls he touches are hit softly. Oh, and he's striking out a lot more, too, at a 30.1 percent clip compared to a career rate of 22.4 percent. He's on pace for 207 strikeouts and his previous career high is 151.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...g-but-are-these-cold-starts-or-a-lost-season/

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was only the sixth four-strikeout of Goldschmidt's career. He is now hitting .203/.326/.354 with an NL-leading 59 strikeouts. His 31.6 percent strikeout rate is well above his 22.4 percent career rate. Something is wrong here.

As for the Diamondbacks, Friday's loss was their eighth in their last nine games. They're averaging only 1.89 runs in those nine games -- Goldschmidt's struggles are obviously a big part of the problem -- and five times in those nine games they've scored no more than one run. The D-Backs' offense has gone stagnant. Not that hitting Jacob deGrom is easy.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...pdates-news-dodgers-and-indians-facing-tests/

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe Goldy is off the juice? We know what happened to Gonzo when he stopped taking.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This doesn’t look like something that he’s going to work his way out of.

It doesn't. It's getting to the point, for me, that I don't even want to watch his at bats. It's sad.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bring up Christian Walker and start him at first base for at least a 3 game series. Put Goldy on the bench. Maybe rest will help at least we can see if Walker is any good.:shrug:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bring up Christian Walker and start him at first base for at least a 3 game series. Put Goldy on the bench. Maybe rest will help at least we can see if Walker is any good.:shrug:
I agree, but a 3-game series isn't going to prove anything on a team with such a weak batting order around him. The 1-run wonders! I believe it will have to wait until we do not re-sign Goldy to a long-term contract, despite having wanted to see Walker given a chance.

The D-backs won't allow Murphy, their best hitting Catcher (all three are good defensively) to catch three out of every five games. They just don't think that way.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think the humidor is in his head at home. His numbers there are just horrific. Chase is like the 25th ballpark for hitting overall on the year. Alot has to do with the team overall, but traditionally it WAS a top 10 hitters park, easily.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was noticing this last year, when I would see his prolonged slumps, I could tell something was off with him, and I started to question if he was done and I even brought it up to some people that he may be done/regressing and they thought I was insane. Well, its 2018 and he's a shell of his former self and I don't see him coming out of it, call me a pessimist but I think he's done.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Time to put him on the bench.
I still feel that they should be analyzing Goldy's declining eye-hand coordination. And pinpointing the cause(s).

Moving him to cleanup is hardly the solution. It puts even more pressure on him to deliver.

Without getting dramatic, when your star declines, it tends to take the rest of the team down, as in, as goes Goldy ... Unless you relieve him of that pressure.

Unfortunately, the three possible players to replace him in that role have all had injuries due to recklessness. All three. Very shortsighted and irresponsible.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last night on MLB Network, Harold Reynolds was discussing Goldy's struggles and his conclusion was Goldy is in the midst of a swing change (he is) and this is basically normal growing pains when a guy is changing his swing. He also predicted that Goldy is about a week away from having his breakout with the new swing.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Last night on MLB Network, Harold Reynolds was discussing Goldy's struggles and his conclusion was Goldy is in the midst of a swing change (he is) and this is basically normal growing pains when a guy is changing his swing. He also predicted that Goldy is about a week away from having his breakout with the new swing.
Why would he change his swing unless last year’s slump prompted the change?

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i haven't noticed a swing change. the only change is he's either way out in front of breaking balls and way late on fastballs. it's like he isn't committing to either pitch

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i haven't noticed a swing change. the only change is he's either way out in front of breaking balls and way late on fastballs. it's like he isn't committing to either pitch

In the stance prior to the pitch, his bat is no longer hanging down his back and he seems to be slowly getting into a more traditional stance. They showed BP in Milwaukee and his bat was almost straight up and Reynolds said that is where he is trying to get.

No reason was given for the change. I wonder if he was reacting to something happening end of last season and feels like slowly adjusting the stance will allow him to get bay to ball with minimal movement to make that happen?

Just telling you what I saw.

Last edited:

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In the stance prior to the pitch, his bat is no longer hanging down his back and he seems to be slowly getting into a more traditional stance. They showed BP in Milwaukee and his bat was almost straight up and Reynolds said that is where he is trying to get.

No reason was given for the change. I wonder if he was reacting to something harrowing end of last season and feels like slowly adjusting the stance will allow him to get bay to ball with minimal movement to make that happen?

Just telling you what I saw.
it's possible, with the new hitting coach on staff. lamb and ahmed have both changed their swings within the last year as well