Is Paul Goldschmidt past his prime?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lovullo said he’s had some recent conversations with Paul Goldschmidt about his struggles. Paul, who is aware of the questions regarding his slump, gave Torey a message to deliver to the media: “Just tell them I suck,” he said.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Lovullo said he’s had some recent conversations with Paul Goldschmidt about his struggles. Paul, who is aware of the questions regarding his slump, gave Torey a message to deliver to the media: “Just tell them I suck,” he said.
Goldy's passive behavior is getting frustrating. How about sharing how he plans to improve his situation? Or does his sarcastic response indicate that he he is covering something up?

Simply saying that he sucks makes it clear that he doesn't want to be signed to another contract.

The heart and soul of the D-backs has evidently abandoned that role. That is disappointing.

I hope that Torey uses Goldy's quote to move him down in the lineup. Goldy put it right into his lap. This would be the perfect time to make that move.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Goldy's passive behavior is getting frustrating. How about sharing how he plans to improve his situation? Or does his sarcastic response indicate that he he is covering something up?

Simply saying that he sucks makes it clear that he doesn't want to be signed to another contract.

The heart and soul of the D-backs has evidently abandoned that role. That is disappointing.

I hope that Torey uses Goldy's quote to move him down in the lineup. Goldy put it right into his lap. This would be the perfect time to make that move.
You can say whatever you want about Goldy’s struggles this year. He does suck. But you can’t question his contribution to the team. He’s been their MVP for a really long time which is why he’s gonna get a ridiculous amount of time to work things out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You can say whatever you want about Goldy’s struggles this year. He does suck. But you can’t question his contribution to the team. He’s been their MVP for a really long time which is why he’s gonna get a ridiculous amount of time to work things out.
I didn't question Goldy's contribution(s) to the team. Or that he's been MVP for a really long time (maybe the "really long time" is taking its toll).

I'm sure Steve Berthiaume didn't question that either when he's mentioned on the air that Goldy has not been able to catch up with fastballs. He just mentioned this very moment (2:11 PM - Game 3 vs. Washington) that he's missing too many fastballs and has become passive at-bat. That is more subjective than anything we've heard from the Goldy or the D-backs.

I've given Goldy the benefit of the doubt by theorizing that his problem could be as simple as declining eye/hand coordination. And I've suggested that he have an ophthalmologist give him a thorough eye exam that an optometrist cannot.

I just didn't like Goldy's sarcastic comment, via Torey, to the Press and public that he "sucks". Pro sports is very wide open for the public to see. We deserve a better response. Don't we?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'LL BE DAMNED!!!

Bob Brenly, in talking about Goldy, just said that, in his experience, "when you're in a prolonged slump, the first thing they do is send you to the eye doctor".

And, having been saying that for quite awhile, I was waiting and hoping to hear that they did. But BB did not say it.

So again I ask the rhetorical question . . . does everyone realize that Goldy should have his eyes checked . . . except the Diamondbacks?

Or has he? But his only explanation is that he "sucks"? Why are the fans not even being given some sort of reassurances that action is being taken?

Cripes, it's beginning to sound like politicians.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Time to change the title of this thread to, “Is This Lineup Past its Prime?”

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Theories spawn from analytics. Goldschmidt is taking too many first-pitch strikes, only increasing his anxiety. He is striking out too much, flailing at pitches that don’t deserve his respect. He’s having a hard time barreling up, and his percentage of hard-hit balls has plummeted in 2018.

But the numbers don’t explain his discomfort at the plate or the look on his face, which must be very reassuring to opposing pitchers. It has marginalized a man who is 6-foot-3 and 225 pounds, a hulking presence that should strike horror in the opposite dugout. And that’s why this slump seems dangerously different.

The humidor must be something of a psychologically barrier for Diamondback hitters who play 81 games at Chase Field, especially those who have been here a while and know how the ball once sailed off the bat. It’s hard to believe a player of Goldschmidt’s caliber would be intimidated by a change in his environment, and yet his road numbers are significantly better than his output at Chase Field.
http://arizonasports.com/story/1528...-casts-spotlight-struggling-paul-goldschmidt/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The humidor must be something of a psychologically barrier for Diamondback hitters who play 81 games at Chase Field, especially those who have been here a while and know how the ball once sailed off the bat. It’s hard to believe a player of Goldschmidt’s caliber would be intimidated by a change in his environment, and yet his road numbers are significantly better than his output at Chase Field.
http://arizonasports.com/story/1528...-casts-spotlight-struggling-paul-goldschmidt/
I, too, blamed the humidor for some of our problems at bat at Chase Field.

Then I stopped to think that, being in a desert climate, the humidor only brings us back in line with the rest of the Major League teams who play in more humid environments, which give the pitchers a better grip on the ball.

With the humidor, we didn't set conditions apart from other stadiums. We got back in line with them. So I no longer see that as an excuse for the putrid hitting of most of our lineup.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
(Continued from above)

Here are the D-backs home & away splits for the season so far. Clearly the D-backs have done better on the road.

Which leads to the question. Is our hitting problem at home real or psychological?

Our recent slide clearly falls on the shoulders of the hitters.

I am disappointed that Souza, although hitting the ball hard, is not producing.

When Lamb comes back, the two of them acclimate and we have, what should be, a good middle of the order with Pollock, Lamb and Souza (especially if Goldy is moved down), we will have a better idea how much playing shorthanded has affected our slide.
You must be registered for see images attach

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
my money is on nagging injury. how often do teams keep that kind of stuff from the press? all the time. have him go to the eye doctor? lol. i'd guess that paul is pretty up to date with his optometrist

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
also - goldy is batting 3rd again today. this is starting to become a lovullo problem. move him to 5th, this is getting ridiculous, especially highlighted since the rest of the offense has cooled off a bit

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
my money is on nagging injury. how often do teams keep that kind of stuff from the press? all the time. have him go to the eye doctor? lol. i'd guess that paul is pretty up to date with his optometrist

A routine eye exam with an optometrist is not enough An ophthalmologist — Eye M.D. — is a medical or osteopathic doctor who specializes in eye and vision care. Ophthalmologists differ from optometrists and opticians in their levels of training and in what they can diagnose and treat. And, with all due respect, I don't think guessing is the answer.

If he clears that, it just may be that his bat speed is showing age. Either way, Paul and D-backs management need to find out specifically what the cause is, so they can act accordingly.

As I pointed out, Drury kept his blurred vision and migraines secret from the D-backs and finally admitted it to the Yankees, who have now sent him to the Minors.

https://aapos.org/terms/conditions/132

Last edited:

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A routine eye exam with an optometrist is not enough An ophthalmologist — Eye M.D. — is a medical or osteopathic doctor who specializes in eye and vision care. Ophthalmologists differ from optometrists and opticians in their levels of training and in what they can diagnose and treat. And, with all due respect, I don't think guessing is the answer.

https://aapos.org/terms/conditions/132
Yeah true. maybe you should write a letter to mr Hall, doubt he’s thought of this

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yeah true. maybe you should write a letter to mr Hall, doubt he’s thought of this
The reality is that the team and Press and many fans are saying (hoping) that it is just a slump. A lot of people are in denial!

Steve and BB have announced on the air that Goldy's vision could be a problem and his bat speed has slowed down. But they are not the decision makers, any more than you nor I.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
also - goldy is batting 3rd again today. this is starting to become a lovullo problem. move him to 5th, this is getting ridiculous, especially highlighted since the rest of the offense has cooled off a bit
I say leave it alone until Lamb comes back.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I say leave it alone until Lamb comes back.

how do you justify that if you're lovullo? he's batting .068 in may and hasn't had an rbi since april 21st. he's batting .115 w/ RISP on the season with 6 rbis

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
how do you justify that if you're lovullo? he's batting .068 in may and hasn't had an rbi since april 21st. he's batting .115 w/ RISP on the season with 6 rbis
Because Lamb is supposed to be back in a few days. If you change things up now you have to change things again in a few days.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Because Lamb is supposed to be back in a few days. If you change things up now you have to change things again in a few days.
As much as I think it would be in everyone's best interest to move Goldy out of batting third, I agree with waiting until Lamb returns and perhaps even until he (and Souza) get used to playing on an everyday basis.

I just hope that Lovullo moves Goldy to 6th when that time comes. I wouldn't bet the ranch on it, even though it would be best for Goldy as well as the D-backs (and fans).

I still feel that the best heart-of-the-order would be Souza third, Pollock cleanup and Lamb fifth. The end of an era, for sure. But the start of a new one (if we re-sign Pollock).

I'd rather see Goldy adjust to being a decent #6 hitter rather than struggling while trying to be the Goldy of old. Either way, I'm sure it is not easy for Goldy. And I am as shocked as everyone that his decline came this early (actually, during last season).

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe they will let Goldy work his way out of this slump in the 3 spot. I would be surprised if he is moved out of it at any point this season