Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This week I am a "Murray yay" but also this is the lowest bar. Especially Mac Jones
He's 2-2 with the worst roster in the NFL and coming off an ACL reconstruction, plus some otber things. Just pointing out what bad actually looks like. Few are talking about the Bears moving on from Fields, but so many in the media think it's a lock that we take a QB. The Bears and Patriots need to go QB. We don't IMHO. The Giants needs to take a good long look too.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He's 2-2 with the worst roster in the NFL and coming off an ACL reconstruction, plus some otber things. Just pointing out what bad actually looks like. Few are talking about the Bears moving on from Fields, but so many in the media think it's a lock that we take a QB. The Bears and Patriots need to go QB. We don't IMHO. The Giants needs to take a good long look too.
IDK, I have been seeing all the mocks showing us NOT taking a QB in the draft. The local radio guys are stumped on whether we keep Murray or trade him. The Cards doing a GREAT job at not tipping their hand.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK, I have been seeing all the mocks showing us NOT taking a QB in the draft. The local radio guys are stumped on whether we keep Murray or trade him. The Cards doing a GREAT job at not tipping their hand.
The local paper has us taking Quinn Ewers from Texas.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about the Bears moving on from Fields.

I absolutely agree Murray has been better than the guys you listed but I don't believe league average is the bar here
I've seen a handful of mocks with MHJ going #1, saying Fields needs him so he can continue to develop.

But, your are right, there are many out there showing the Bears moving on.

I just think this team has too many holes to start over at QB and Kyler has shown he can win and did it again today in not ideal circumstances with an absolute depleted roster that was already void of talent.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a handful of mocks with MHJ going #1, saying Fields needs him so he can continue to develop.

But, your are right, there are many out there showing the Bears moving on.

I just think this team has too many holes to start over at QB and Kyler has shown he can win and did it again today in not ideal circumstances with an absolute depleted roster that was already void of talent.

I don't disagree that's the best outcome

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Bears don’t go QB they will trade it to a team that will.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I said many. And this new regime is great as keeping secrets. Day and night from the past.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No, you’re pointing out what absolutely terrible is. That’s a horrible bar to measure anyone by, much less someone making 50 million a year.

And that’s coming from someone who thought Kyler played well today.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All any of us can do is guess. It’s obvious the majority says MHJ is a no brainer. I do think if he is gone we definitely trade down to a team looking for a qb.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wish I could feel100% this way. However, those missed TDs are really hurting the narrative for that. Some unfortunate luck today, but teams who dont have their QBs rely on woulda, coulda, shoulda's. Bad talent or not he needs to be as a accurate as he was today on deep balls the rest of the season.

Cause with the 49ers coming up in two weeks it could really skewer the #s for the worst. I want to go in 2024 excited that he's our QB. Not saying well he's better than Mac Jones.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

And the Commanders.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Bears and Cards are in tough spots. Good spots, but tough decisions. Both QB's have shown signs that they can win in the NFL. But are they top level enough to be consistent winners? The good spot is, they have options. They can get "their guy" by drafting him or load up talent with trades to compliment the current QB.

My prediction, both teams keep their current QB and trade for a haul of picks to address the overall talent level on their teams.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bears and Cards are in tough spots. Good spots, but tough decisions. Both QB's have shown signs that they can win in the NFL. But are they top level enough to be consistent winners? The good spot is, they have options. They can get "their guy" by drafting him or load up talent with trades to compliment the current QB.

My prediction, both teams keep their current QB and trade for a haul of picks to address the overall talent level on their teams.
I love MHJ, but trading down( not to far) is probably the right thing to do.

So much depends on free agency. For the sake of this discussion let’s say the Cards let Brown walk but sign Michael Pittman. Add to that G/C Connor Williams. That would not only address two major needs it would ALLOW us to trade down an open several different options.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Know what was great? All the Steelers fans howling at the calls going against them lol

I'm still baffled how the refs didn't call this blatant hold in the first quarter. The Steelers RT literally spun him around on that long pass to Pickens.

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I love MHJ, but trading down( not to far) is probably the right thing to do.

So much depends on free agency. For the sake of this discussion let’s say the Cards let Brown walk but sign Michael Pittman. Add to that G/C Connor Williams. That would not only address two major needs it would ALLOW us to trade down an open several different options.
Don't make me buy another jersey, this one named "Draft Picks." Draft picks do not win games, just as cap space doesn't win games. Sit where your pick is and take the closest thing to a sure thing WR as you can get. Don't overthink it!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't make me buy another jersey, this one named "Draft Picks." Draft picks do not win games, just as cap space doesn't win games. Sit where your pick is and take the closest thing to a sure thing WR as you can get. Don't overthink it!
Absolutely! If we were able to sign Pittman I’d STILL draft MHJ. Pittman would be a great start IF somebody moved ahead of us and took MHJ.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I'd still take Caleb if I were the Bears because I worry Fields throwing motion will keep him from being consistent. Its so slow that it just negates the quick game and makes it harder on the offense. Having said that he's flashed with some multiple td games that gives Bears fans hope that a good coach can fix him. We'll see. Caleb and Meh are probably safer bets though.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
From same article (Jason La Canfora - Washington Post):

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd