International Football Club Thread

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
I noticed we had the huge thread on Sunderland and was wondering what other FCs the various members on here support.

I have been a Juve fan since 1993, when I first saw Alessandro Del Piero play. The toughest thing about being a fan of an Italian team is that most people in the US when they find a club to follow its usually in the Premiership...so I never really got to see my club play against a friends (except for Champions League). And then last year after the whole Calciopoli scandal, I caught more crap from my friends about that than I EVER have for being a Cardinals fan. But we are on the rebound, and with a solid finish here in our last 8 games we will be back in the Champions League next year. And with the recent influx of funds, I see them being very active in the Summer Transfer market and bringing in a couple big names.

So I guess my questions are: who is your club, why they are your club, how long have you been following them, and who is your favorite player right now.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I noticed we had the huge thread on Sunderland and was wondering what other FCs the various members on here support.

I have been a Juve fan since 1993, when I first saw Alessandro Del Piero play. The toughest thing about being a fan of an Italian team is that most people in the US when they find a club to follow its usually in the Premiership...so I never really got to see my club play against a friends (except for Champions League). And then last year after the whole Calciopoli scandal, I caught more crap from my friends about that than I EVER have for being a Cardinals fan. But we are on the rebound, and with a solid finish here in our last 8 games we will be back in the Champions League next year. And with the recent influx of funds, I see them being very active in the Summer Transfer market and bringing in a couple big names.

So I guess my questions are: who is your club, why they are your club, how long have you been following them, and who is your favorite player right now.

Yes, mine is definitely in the Premiership. I'm a big Newcastle United fan. Go Magpies!!! Toon Army all the way! When I was stationed in Europe I finally got into soccer. I had a playstation, and someone gave me the FIFA '98 road to the World Cup game. You could play leagues too, so I checked out some of the leagues. The Premiership had a team with the same name as where I grew up--New Castle, PA--so I latched on. Didn't get to follow them closely until I got DirecTV over here, but they've been my team ever since. Favorite player right now? Hmmm, I'd have to go with Obafemi Martins. That kid is just lightning in a bottle. I really like Taylor (young lad and solid defender that was raised at the Newcastle academy), Owen, and Shay Given (hurt for the season right now). Mark Viduka is also all class.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I really don't have a favorite club team as I am much more in to watching international teams in competition--which of course I am a US fan but I love watching the Euros and my rooting interest there varies based on style of play in the last Euros I was a big fan on the Portugese.

I do watch club soccer but having no rooting interest just want to see good soccer. I find Serie A and La Liga to be the most entertaining leagues as there play is more free flowing and allows for more creativity than the physical nature of the English clubs.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Leeds fan since I can remember because my dad is. The whole family support the mighty whites and we'll be back to the Premiership one day. My favourite player at the moment is probably Jermaine Beckford, he is a class above the division we are in, just hope we can hang onto him.

I would say the Premiership is much more entertaining than the Spanish or Italian leagues. There is physical play but also more attacking play than the Italians will ever have.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
Man U all the way baby....

Been a Red Devil fan for as long as I can remember.. To be honest I think it started out because I was really big into the color Red since every team I rooted for or played for was red (Hence the cardinals connection hah). Plus I was HUGE in the whole Manchester music scene aka Charlatans UK, Stone Roses etc.. and that was that...

C Ronaldo is the best player in the game right now.. hands down...

The English Prem is my favorite league, but I do follow Roma in serie a and also root for villareal in la liga.....

Locally I follow the Rapids... figure why not...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I would love to get into International soccer, especially since I have GOL and FSC and can actually watch them, but I've never spent the time to research and find a team. I've always watched Juventus (since before they were punished) and I usually watch when Man U and Arsenal are on the telly. But I couldn't tell you who any of the players are (although I could probably recognize some names if told who is on them).

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Has anyone been watching the CL matches? Torres goal yesterday was just awesome, that turn and the pace with which he struck that ball...why can't the stinking US develop players like that????

C. Ronaldo's goal last week when he came flying through the air to power that header against Roma was awesome too.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
the Arsenal v Liverpool match was possibly one of the best matches I have seen in my life....

I think Arsenal got hosed.. no way was that a PK... hopefully they roll over for Man U now, but I am sure they won't...

OP
OP
BirdMan21

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
I've always watched Juventus (since before they were punished).

Always room for more bianconeri fans :thumbup:

the Arsenal v Liverpool match was possibly one of the best matches I have seen in my life....

I think Arsenal got hosed.. no way was that a PK... hopefully they roll over for Man U now, but I am sure they won't...

Ya, that was an amazing game....one of the best games I have watched this year. I was pulling for Arsenal because I have a VERY obnoxious friend who loves Pool....hopefully The Blues can finally break through in CL this year.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Roma, Barca, and Sunderland. Mostly Sunderland because of the thread on ASFN.

I like Roma because I saw them play in Roma, and I like Barca because they have some great players and they are on GOL TV all the time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Roma, Barca, and Sunderland. Mostly Sunderland because of the thread on ASFN.

I like Roma because I saw them play in Roma, and I like Barca because they have some great players and they are on GOL TV all the time.

I knew this would be one of the first threads you'd post in when you came back........lol

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I'm a long-time Barca fan, since my mother's family originally came from that part of Spain.

Been a Sunderland fan since 2004 when the Black Cats made the FA Cup semi-finals and then lost in the Championship playoffs to Crystal Palace. I've been hooked ever since.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a long-time Barca fan, since my mother's family originally came from that part of Spain.

Been a Sunderland fan since 2004 when the Black Cats made the FA Cup semi-finals and then lost in the Championship playoffs to Crystal Palace. I've been hooked ever since.
I forgot that I like Barca because Renz's mom's family was catalan.

OP
OP
BirdMan21

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Good news everyone, with Juve's win today....we have secured our spot in Champions League next year. Our return to one of the top clubs in the world has begun.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Great Champions League match so far, Barcelona should be winning this game since they are dominating possesion but their last touch and finishing is pretty bad. It should be an interesting second half.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great Champions League match so far, Barcelona should be winning this game since they are dominating possesion but their last touch and finishing is pretty bad. It should be an interesting second half.
Can't believe Ronaldo missed that PK. The second leg is going to be great to watch.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score

Yea.. Barca held the possession.. too bad you don't score a point for holding onto the ball more than your opponent. Man U went in with the hope of a nil nil raw and thats what they got... besides a couple shots early on and a couple from Henry late.. Barca never really threatened.

Putting Brown in the middle and Hargraves back as right back.. Rooney basically an outside mid/back and Ronaldo as the lone striker up top was disappointing and a reason why sir Alex has only one Champions league trophy... the boys seemed extra tired today.. Ronaldo missing that PK ack..

Please please play Anderson in the middle instead of Scholes!!!!!!!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Yea.. Barca held the possession.. too bad you don't score a point for holding onto the ball more than your opponent. Man U went in with the hope of a nil nil raw and thats what they got.

The problem with that strategy is the away goals rule. If Barca scores at Old Trafford, then Man U has to score twice to advance. The pressure is now on Man U, IMO.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with that strategy is the away goals rule. If Barca scores at Old Trafford, then Man U has to score twice to advance. The pressure is now on Man U, IMO.
That is what I way thinking. Plus, that was a weak penalty call for C.R.

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score

agreed.. didn't say that is what i was hoping for just that is what they seemed to have planned going in...

next leg should totally open up....

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Must have been watching a different game to me. Not much good football, too many dives, neither team was that creative. Most importantly manure managed a draw as well, so not good at all.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Must have been watching a different game to me. Not much good football, too many dives, neither team was that creative. Most importantly manure managed a draw as well, so not good at all.

Barcelona provided a lot of good attacking play but they couldn't manage many quality shots on goal. Man U played without any attacking flair, probably their strategy like Groovy said but had they both played the wide open play they are capable it would have been much better.

It wasn't near as good as the second leg of Liverpool/Arsenal in the last stage though.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Office intern claims that the Premier League is the top league over Spain, Italy, and France.

Anyone else agree?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn