Indy Rumor from a Good Source - Cards not active in Free Agency due to trading down

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Interested? Agree. Capable? I really hope so but too early to know for sure. Will hope for the best.
Agree. Four weeks ago most of those claiming these are teachers and they want to coach up and develop players didn’t know who these guys were.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd be amazed if both teams weren't already deep in negotiations.

There's an argument for multiple trade backs. You can build a foundation of youth across the whole team instead of a couple of luxury players.
Foundation of Zaven Collins, Deone Buccanon, Isiah Simmons, NKemdiche? Seriously this makes total sense.

Cards Crazy

Rookie
Reaction score
There was a certain team I remember that traded all the way out of the 1st one time to get a few players like Ronnie Lott Earl Cooper and a no name Qb in the 3rd round named Montana of course they had a feaking Genius of a coach too named Walsh now that would be the kind of draft and class I could get behind so yes it can be done but is extremely rare New England does a good job trading down to (or used to)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All I know is that the Eagles starting roster was made up of majority of their own draft picks. Very unusual, but maybe Gannon and Monti see that as the way... but the Eagles are now experiencing that exodus which I think you are alluding to

How will the Eagles cope with the 7 comp picks they accrued so far...

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
You have to have a lot of confidence in your ability to select draftees if your decision to move down and accumulate draft picks is the direction you are going. I myself have already advocated for this direction. Let's hope Monti and his staff are up to the task. If they can squeeze out 6-8 solid starters and a couple of role players and a special team player or two over the next two drafts and have one or two of those starters approach pro bowl status that will go a long way to making this team a contender than one pro bowl stature player.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There was a certain team I remember that traded all the way out of the 1st one time to get a few players like Ronnie Lott Earl Cooper and a no name Qb in the 3rd round named Montana of course they had a feaking Genius of a coach too named Walsh now that would be the kind of draft and class I could get behind so yes it can be done but is extremely rare New England does a good job trading down to (or used to)
If only we could guarantee a HoF level draft, I'd be down for it. Counting on that would be bad.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. Four weeks ago most of those claiming these are teachers and they want to coach up and develop players didn’t know who these guys were.
What I am seeing is a bunch of blind faith. I know we have nothing else but there are no facts to support these grandiose claims about coaching. Or, Monti's plan.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now we are calling players with all pro potential “luxury players.” You can’t make this stuff up.
The crazy thing is these guys getting sloughed off now as "luxury" are actually young players. You know, the kind of youth you need in a rebuild.

What? These great "teachers" can't coach anything but rookies?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I am seeing is a bunch of blind faith. I know we have nothing else but there are no facts to support these grandiose claims about coaching. Or, Monti's plan.
Yeah... reminds me a ton about WR coach turned first time OC Sullivan’s “innovative offense” stuff people were throwing around in 2003 to defend an offense built around Jeff Blake, Emmitt Smith and zero experience at WR which was obviously going to be anmassive train wreck.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I think a good way to build a roster is to keep your homegrown drafted players that have been productive starters and have shown thru can play in this league and supplement that talent with draft picks.

Instead we let the young talent walk, signed some back to caliber players and will try to draft their replacements.

Like I said in an earlier text, Monti, being a new GM doesn’t make him a good GM.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I think a good way to build a roster is to keep your homegrown drafted players that have been productive starters and have shown thru can play in this league and supplement that talent with draft picks.

Instead we let the young talent walk, signed some back to caliber players and will try to draft their replacements.

Like I said in an earlier text, Monti, being a new GM doesn’t make him a good GM.
Certainly protecting what you build is important. However, it’s not imperative. Allen has a marginal durability history and one above average season that took place when a line mate drew the double-teams. Then he gets Pro Bowl money that the Cards don’t match. Murphy was a big fish in a small pond. His best performance was still covering slot receivers. His money wasn’t huge, but neither was his talent. He was good more often than great. He showed signs of moving up only to get a obviously serious back injury. The new regime decided to bet on itself. These players weren’t sure things either. Again I’m willing to wait to see what happens. I’ve seen Seattle succeed with no offensive line and almost make the playoffs while still understaffed. I’ve seen Belichick bet on himself numerous times and often win. These guys got here because they believe in themselves. This staff deserves a little patience from me, maybe others. They’re no sure thing but at least they’ve got guts and you have to have that to win inthe NFL.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Certainly protecting what you build is important. However, it’s not imperative. Allen has a marginal durability history and one above average season that took place when a line mate drew the double-teams. Then he gets Pro Bowl money that the Cards don’t match. Murphy was a big fish in a small pond. His best performance was still covering slot receivers. His money wasn’t huge, but neither was his talent. He was good more often than great. He showed signs of moving up only to get an obviously serious back injury. The new regime decided to bet on itself. These players weren’t sure things either. Again I’m willing to wait to see what happens. I’ve seen Seattle succeed with no offensive line and almost make the playoffs while still understaffed. I’ve seen Belichick bet on himself numerous times and often win. These guys got here because they believe in themselves. This staff deserves a little patience from me, maybe others. They’re no sure thing but at least they’ve got guts and you have to have that to win inthe NFL.
It can’t all be done with the draft and to think so is just kidding yourself. I am not blaming the new regime necessarily for Allen and Murphy being gone, but to say we wouldn’t be better off with them isn’t accurate.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Fitz got us damn close.
I agree! If it weren’t for three plays on the final drive, we’d have our Super Bowl. Play 1) can’t remember the DT but he had Rothensburger sacked at the 2 yard line but let him get away 2) Fransisco on the field taking a nap… he fell down and the WR gained like 35 yards 3) everyone knows the final dagger. Still can’t believe both feet touched. What is done is done I guess and I’m almost over it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose