I Wonder

Cards Crazy

Veteran
Reaction score
A kinda different thought while I favor a trade down if the Cards really want MHJ and they trade up to get him what would it take as compensation would it take to move from 4 to 2

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A kinda different thought while I favor a trade down if the Cards really want MHJ and they trade up to get him what would it take as compensation would it take to move from 4 to 2
The Cards are potentially a dozen or so players away from competing. You can't give away a chance to draft a few of them by moving up two places with our current roster. We are too far away.

Reactions: PJ1

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Cards are potentially a dozen or so players away from competing. You can't give away a chance to draft a few of them by moving up two places with our current roster. We are too far away.

I know we're not in a position to give up a second and maybe third to move up for a WR (I think that's what it would take), but do you really think we're a dozen players away from competing?

For a playoff spot? Nah. I think we're starting-caliber players at all three DL positions, LG, WR, and maybe CB away from potentially winning 10 games.

For the Super Bowl? Maybe(?). I think this is less a question of adding above-replacement-level players and more adding two super/stars.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we're not in a position to give up a second and maybe third to move up for a WR (I think that's what it would take), but do you really think we're a dozen players away from competing?

For a playoff spot? Nah. I think we're starting-caliber players at all three DL positions, LG, WR, and maybe CB away from potentially winning 10 games.

For the Super Bowl? Maybe(?). I think this is less a question of adding above-replacement-level players and more adding two super/stars.
My definition of competing may be different. In my opinion, competing is having a realistic chance to get to a Championship game. So winning at least one playoff game.

If competing is just having a chance at the playoffs, I think we are about 5-6 players away.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably no need to move to #2, with two top-tier QB prospects in the draft.

I recently posted this in another thread:

According to the Draftek trade value chart, the difference in value between #4 and #3 is 400 points, so exactly equivalent to the Cards' two lower 3rd-round picks.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably no need to move to #2, with two top-tier QB prospects in the draft.

I recently posted this in another thread:

According to the Draftek trade value chart, the difference in value between #4 and #3 is 400 points, so exactly equivalent to the Cards' two lower 3rd-round picks.
If you’re moving up for a qb, yes.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
My definition of competing may be different. In my opinion, competing is having a realistic chance to get to a Championship game. So winning at least one playoff game.

If competing is just having a chance at the playoffs, I think we are about 5-6 players away.
My definition of competing is roughly the same. That's why I have serious doubts we have a shot at competing next year. Others see teams sitting at, say, 5-8 and in the hunt as competing, but I don't.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My definition of competing is roughly the same. That's why I have serious doubts we have a shot at competing next year. Others see teams sitting at, say, 5-8 and in the hunt as competing, but I don't.
On this topic, The Athletic had an article this morning entitled, "Ranking the 18 NFL teams that missed the playoffs: Who could get back in 2024?". I started to post this ranking as an argument to why the Cardinals are unlikely to make the playoffs even if everything goes well in the off-season and during the season; but the more I think about it, I'd say that there's ample reason to believe that the Cards will have a good chance at the playoffs.

1. Bengals
2. Jaguars
3. Chargers
4. Jets
5. Seahawks
6. Saints
7. Colts
8. Bears
9. Raiders
10. Vikings
11. Cardinals
12. Broncos
13. Titans
14. Giants
15. Falcons
16. Commanders
17. Patriots
18. Panthers

First, most likely 2-3 of this season's NFC playoff teams won't make it next season.

Next, the Seahawks will have a new coach and maybe QB. No particular reason to think they'll be better next year than they were this year.

I have no confidence that the Saints will be any better either.

The Bears will have a whole new offensive coaching staff and may have a rookie QB... which could give them a boost, or they could very well take a step back.

The Vikings also may end up with a lesser QB than Cousins. On the other hand, with a healthy Cousins they will probably be better than this season... but it's still tough to envision more than two teams making the playoffs from the NFC North.

Bottom line - if they execute well, the weak NFC leaves a very plausible path for an improved Cardinals team to make the playoffs.

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Maybe K9.

But our offense looked like a top ten unit the last two weeks of the season, and it's completely plausible that the addition of just one or two players on O keeps us in the top ten range.

That leaves MO free to pour resources into the defense. I know you like to phoo phoo our early year defensive "success" (i.e. a script was being followed), but the consensus is that at least the D fought tooth and nail even if they were out manned, and I think it's really going be interesting to see what JG/NR can achieve once they have several more pieces to work with.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
On this topic, The Athletic had an article this morning entitled, "Ranking the 18 NFL teams that missed the playoffs: Who could get back in 2024?".

The Bill Barnwell show did a similar idea, but drafting teams. They went a long time before getting to the Cards. A long time.

If we can’t compete in the division, it gets really hard. Someone has to win the NFC South; it doesn’t have to be Tampa, but it can’t be us. I can see Minny with Kirk taking the third wild card spot from Seattle.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. If it was JUST a piece away, I'd have no problems. Heck, I think that should KC falter, they should consider going all in.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed Stout. "In the hunt" whilst 5-8 isn't competing, it's being the beneficiary of 7 playoff spots and parity.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson