I think that Kyler Murray's career is finished with his injury

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler is not adjusting his game. He’s too athletic and used to not being touched at all. He can’t operate from the pocket. He’s the easiest tackle in the game if you just get near him. He plays scared and it contributed to his injury last night.
He’ll come back but his mindset won’t change nor his height. He will run out this contract or get cut in a few years. He will not sign another in the NFL.
There is a lot to criticize about Kyler but posts like this are just silly.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
We probably will not know how Kyler will be following the surgery by draft time. This probably means that we will be forced to ´ waste ´ our high pick on a qb. You can´t come out of the draft not knowing if you have a qb or not. And it looks now like we will have a top 3 pick or so. That Levis kid sounds like he could be a starter after a few years of proper tutoring. But are the Cards the team to give him proper tutoring? Maybe if we hire a special QB guru just for him.

That might not be a bad thing in the long run. If Kyler can come back and start, that will give the rookie a few years to prepare to start. If Kyler is never the same again, we have Josh Allen type rookie to learn on the job. I just can not see us thinking Colt is a safe fall back position long term.
If you draft a QB now, you essentially are giving up on their biggest value (having them on the rookie deal) since we are already paying Kyler. Not only that, you throw him into the exact situation that Kyler is in and continue to ignore the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Even if it's known today (which it's not) that Kyler will never be the same; the appropriate way to reset is to actually build up both sides of the ball for the next two / three years so you can draft a new QB once most of Kyler's dead $$ leaves the books and actually have them in a position to succeed.

Drafting a QB with a top 3 pick in this year's draft would be one of the biggest mistakes the team could possibly make, IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you draft a QB now, you essentially are giving up on their biggest value (having them on the rookie deal) since we are already paying Kyler. Not only that, you throw him into the exact situation that Kyler is in and continue to ignore the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Even if it's known today (which it's not) that Kyler will never be the same; the appropriate way to reset is to actually build up both sides of the ball for the next two / three years so you can draft a new QB once most of Kyler's dead $$ leaves the books and actually have them in a position to succeed.

Drafting a QB with a top 3 pick in this year's draft would be one of the biggest mistakes the team could possibly make, IMO.
This 100%

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah… even as someone who thinks the Kyler era probably should be over simply because he’s proving to be really injury prone, this is not the year to take a QB. Build the line, we’ll likely be awful next year also. Get your QB at that point and rebuild anew.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see him look at baseball now. It would allow him to drop some muscle and take some pressure off his knees.

I'm now sure how that impacts the cap, though, if he retired for baseball.

THat ship sailed years ago. He wouldn't be ready to play at the earliest until say Dec and then he hasn't played since college, like 5 years maybe 6, coming off injury, and the guy people think is a primadonna(not me) is going to ride buses in A ball?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler going to give up millions to re-learn baseball traveling around small dumpy towns in the south in a Greyhound bus. Yeah not happening.

Looked it up last played in 2018 in the cape cod league, so it'll be 5 years by the time he's rehabbed.

Not a chance.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
THat ship sailed years ago. He wouldn't be ready to play at the earliest until say Dec and then he hasn't played since college, like 5 years maybe 6, coming off injury, and the guy people think is a primadonna(not me) is going to ride buses in A ball?
NFL teams would pay him a few million a year to be their backup worst case until he’s in his early 30’s. That or the aforementioned $70k a year grind on the Greyhound with a bunch of 19 year old’s in Greenville, Mississippi.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What a dumb post. Football players bounce back from blown out knees all the time. And with today’s surgical advances, they actually come back stronger. Murray will be back next year ready to play. What this franchise needs to do is now is work on finding a real NFL experienced HC that isn’t solely analytics DRIVEN.
I was thinking about this last night and this morning. What’s the list of mobile quarterbacks who have come back from ACLs and excelled? Not being sarcastic, legitimately asking.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Unlike others on this forum, I've loved the way Kyler played. It was fast and furious and unlike anything we've ever seen. But it was also unsustainable. Last year, he was unstoppable until defenses caught up to him. Still, Kyler's got unbelievable talent, not just his legs, but his arm as well. Maybe the injury will force him to adapt and become the quarterback we need him to be.
I love this quote.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So was Tom Brady so...

Ok, so was Tua who is currently 2nd in the league in passer rating. So was Geno Smith who is top 5 and had his worst game of the year against the Niners. So did Justin Herbert, who also had his worst game of the year against the Niners.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh. His QBR was closer to 60 when playing with Hopkins.

To me Kyler was a problem those 1st 6 games. He's totally dependent on really good WRs.

His QBR since Hopkins returns are

Then Colt McCoy came in and had 66.8 and 43.5.

Kyler came back vs the Chargers and had 82.5 and that single game really skews the average. More bad games than good.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
His QBR since Hopkins returns are

Then Colt McCoy came in and had 66.8 and 43.5.

Kyler came back vs the Chargers and had 82.5 and that single game really skews the average. More bad games than good.
You cant just remove a game on the Hopkins argument bruv. And thats actually not more bad games than good, lol.

By that token I can just shift the argument to when he finally had his top 2 Wrs he was playing a great level.

Passer rating is 100 with Hopkins. Completion % is 71.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
These kinds of unfortunate brutal injuries are the kind that can change a player for better or worse. I do not see Kyler as one who is a quitter despite his other faults, real or perceived, and this very well could be that wake up call for him and I doubt he will come back as that player with the same mindset. The guy is extremely physically talented, so losing some of that ability will still have him being more athletic than most QBs. When he comes back, we need the right coach to mold him and that is not Kingsbury... this injury could be a blessing in disguise if Kyler and this organization do what is right

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You cant just remove a game on the Hopkins argument bruv. And thats actually not more bad games than good, lol.

By that token I can just shift the argument to when he finally had his top 2 Wrs he was playing a great level.

Passer rating is 100 with Hopkins. Completion % is 71.

Well yeah it is more bad games than good.

80 is good, 40 is bad. 60 is ok.

That's one ok game, one good game and two bad games.

He's been bad with or without Hopkins. Just slightly less bad with him.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well yeah it is more bad games than good.

80 is good, 40 is bad. 60 is ok.

That's one ok game, one good game and two bad games.

He's been bad with or without Hopkins. Just slightly less bad with him.
80 is actually great.

Every season is different. If 60 is just ok. There are only 6 good QBs this season. Joe Burrow and Herbert just misses Brit's mark.

And Brit only 6 QBs have a 100 passer rating on the season. No matter how you cut it up WITH Hopkins his passer rating was 100.
Im not arguing Kyler is good. The good ones are good with or without star Wrs. However, I am arguing he's far more productive/efficient with his #1 star wr.

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
When evaluating players there is always the question of if small players can survive in the NFL. Obviously this was not the contact injury many feared. This was a fluke. I do think it’s fair to say Murray isn’t sturdy and is easy to tackle with minimal contact. That said he’ll be back.

Do keep in mind there are huge differences in ACL tears. I presume we’re talking a complete tear. I don‘t know if other ligaments were damaged (common). Also cartilage damage has likely occurred. Reconstruction is now the preferred solution, stitching is rare. They will likely do a tissue graft to mimic the damaged ACL. They typically take hamstring, quadriceps or a patellar tendon. Don’t be concerned about the surgical delay that a second opinion occasions. They typically wait 3 to 6 weeks for swelling to subside before they attach tissue. Depending on the severity of the damage recovery usually takes 6 to 9 months. Pain tolerance is a concerning factor in recovery time. More and more often athletes served by the profession’s top surgeons experience a near complete physical recovery. The psychological impact is less predictable. It’s possible Murray is ready at the beginning of the regular season‘s schedule or shortly thereafter. Speculation as to how he plays is merely guessing at this point. If he’s not practicing by August, it could be another long years for the Cards no matter how the off-season goes. My recommendation hasn’t changed. Build a better O-line and make Murray feel more secure. This is a good draft to make that happen.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When evaluating players there is always the question of if small players can survive in the NFL. Obviously this was not the contact injury many feared. This was a fluke. I do think it’s fair to say Murray isn’t sturdy and is easy to tackle with minimal contact. That said he’ll be back.

Do keep in mind there are huge differences in ACL tears. I presume we’re talking a complete tear. I don‘t know if other ligaments were damaged (common). Also cartilage damage has likely occurred. Reconstruction is now the preferred solution, stitching is rare. They will likely do a tissue graft to mimic the damaged ACL. They typically take hamstring, quadriceps or a patellar tendon. Don’t be concerned about the surgical delay that a second opinion occasions. They typically wait 3 to 6 weeks for swelling to subside before they attach tissue. Depending on the severity of the damage recovery usually takes 6 to 9 months. Pain tolerance is a concerning factor in recovery time. More and more often athletes served by the profession’s top surgeons experience a near complete physical recovery. The psychological impact is less predictable. It’s possible Murray is ready at the beginning of the regular season‘s schedule or shortly thereafter. Speculation as to how he plays is merely guessing at this point. If he’s not practicing by August, it could be another long years for the Cards no matter how the off-season goes. My recommendation hasn’t changed. Build a better O-line and make Murray feel more secure. This is a good draft to make that happen.

Nothing can improve until Keim is gone. I wouldn't trust him to draft my lunch from a choice of 6 options.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Not original thought, but virtually every successful GM has built their teams from both lines out. Interesting here to watch the Bears with a potentially very good qb and little else are now readly to build their lines and will address the OL first probably through FA and the D line through the draft as there are a few real studs down around pick 1,2,3.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not original thought, but virtually every successful GM has built their teams from both lines out. Interesting here to watch the Bears with a potentially very good qb and little else are now readly to build their lines and will address the OL first probably through FA and the D line through the draft as there are a few real studs down around pick 1,2,3.
If Im the Bears Im studying what the Eagles are doing.

Fields can have a Jalen Hurts level jump in two years.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
These kinds of unfortunate brutal injuries are the kind that can change a player for better or worse. I do not see Kyler as one who is a quitter despite his other faults, real or perceived, and this very well could be that wake up call for him and I doubt he will come back as that player with the same mindset. The guy is extremely physically talented, so losing some of that ability will still have him being more athletic than most QBs. When he comes back, we need the right coach to mold him and that is not Kingsbury... this injury could be a blessing in disguise if Kyler and this organization do what is right
I have no questions about his physical ability, nor his mental fortitude in putting the maximum physical effort into his recovery. He will have an advantage in his physical recovery in that respect. I do have questions over his mindset, and believe he doesn't feel he needs to change his approach to the game of football. Will he be able to change that mindset because of this injury? The jury is out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard