I hate the Nets as much as the next guy, BUT...

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
For an slow old man, he did pretty good. Too bad Scott isn't as stupid as FJ. I guess both Kidd and Martin asked Scott to give Mutumbo more time. Maybe if Marbury and Marion had asked FJ to give big Jake some time he might have ...... but I doubt it.

Sorry for harping on the fact that Jake never got to play, but as far as I'm concerned, that had to be the dumbest coaching decision of all.

OP
OP
arthurracoon

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
Mutumbo is a free agent next year. Mid level exception?

Is he?

That would be great. Mutombo and Stoudemire in the paint.

He could give some pointers to BIG JAKE

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
Um...Big Jake is nowhere near as good as Mutumbo defensively. I doubt he would have made much of an impact. I could be wrong but i doubt it. On offense the suns don't move as much as the nets either so a lot of the time big jake would just be standing there clogging up the lanes preventing marbury from driving. I think the suns vs spurs series was a lot better to watch. It might not be as competetive but it was more fun to watch.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PhiLLmattiC
Um...Big Jake is nowhere near as good as Mutumbo defensively. I doubt he would have made much of an impact. I could be wrong but i doubt it. On offense the suns don't move as much as the nets either so a lot of the time big jake would just be standing there clogging up the lanes preventing marbury from driving. I think the suns vs spurs series was a lot better to watch. It might not be as competetive but it was more fun to watch.

Big Jake & Dikembe Mutombo... apples & oranges. Even now at age 75 Mutombo is a much, much, much better basketball player on both ends of the court than Jake Tsakalidis.

Still, I was frustrated that Frank Johnson didn't give him one minute of playing time even when the double teaming defense was not doing well. It would have been nice just to see what could have happened. At least it might have shut all of us the hell up. :)

Joe Mama

reedykat

Reaction score
I understand that Big Jake and Deke are like day and night, however, I'm sure that Big Jake would have made an impact.
A seven footer's presence in the paint can help a team, if nothing else buy time for the starting center. Big Jake had (6) fouls that were never used.

Watching this present series makes me sick. Neither one of these teams looks to be playing much better than we were. I feel the major difference is the coaching.

Freddie

Registered
Reaction score
Amare and Mutumbo in the paint would be a nightmare. Mutumbo clogs the lane, and calls for the ball when he has no back-to-the-basket game. There's a reason this guy has been on the bench for most of the year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn