Hypothetical question part 2

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So if a trade is pulled off like Spanky's thread asks about and the Cardinals trade with the Jets for their 2 #1's and we get a DE McDougle or Kelsay and a WR Washington or Jacobs.

Do you gamble with our #2 and take McGahee if he is there. If not who do we take?

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone
So if a trade is pulled off like Spanky's thread asks about and the Cardinals trade with the Jets for their 2 #1's and we get a DE McDougle or Kelsay and a WR Washington or Jacobs.

Do you gamble with our #2 and take McGahee if he is there. If not who do we take?

If available, Rien Long, DT, Washington State.

In my opinion...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't take McGahee in the second round. He's a luxury we can't afford. Not with Shipp for four more years and Smith for two already on the roster. Of course, I'm in the "win now" mode.

Actually, I'd probably miss the pick entirely because I'd be too busy beating the crap out of whoever made us take Kelsay at #13. :D

OP
OP
EndZone

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
No, I wouldn't take McGahee in the second round. He's a luxury we can't afford. Not with Shipp for four more years and Smith for two already on the roster. Of course, I'm in the "win now" mode.

Actually, I'd probably miss the pick entirely because I'd be too busy beating the crap out of whoever made us take Kelsay at #13. :D

I did say McDougle OR Kelsay. Most likely it would be McDougle.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If our draft was Kelley Washington and Jerome McDougle or Kelsay, I'd shoot myself in the foot. Then I'd write "FIRE GRAVES NOW" on the cast.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
If our draft was Kelley Washington and Jerome McDougle or Kelsay, I'd shoot myself in the foot. Then I'd write "FIRE GRAVES NOW" on the cast.

I would also shoot Ed in the foot.

Then I would write, "Should have drafted Boss Bailey and Willis McGahee."

Then I'd look like a fool for about six months.

Then I'd look like a stinking genius.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
I would also shoot Ed in the foot.

Then I would write, "Should have drafted Boss Bailey and Willis McGahee."

Then I'd look like a fool for about six months.

Then I'd look like a stinking genius.

Hey, I had Boss in my first mock draft. Unfortunately he'll never last till the 2nd round like I originally hoped.

If the guy learns to tackle he could put Derrick Brooks to shame. But that's a big "if".

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we made that trade, we'd be better advised not to lock into a particular player, but instead play "Catcher in the Rye" and see who drops over the cliff.

For example - using Kiper's mock (which is as good as anyone's) he has Palmer, Rogers, Johnson, Robertson, Newman, Suggs, Kennedy, Leftwich, Gross and Boller coming off in the Top 10.

Available from #11 on would be Sullivan, Trufant, Jacobs, Williams and Bailey. And who's to say they'd come off the board in exactly that order. If Trufant were available at #13, that's the pick I'd make. Next in line would be Kevin Williams. And then Jacobs.

At the #22 pick, Melvin the Kipe has available: Dewayne White, Kelsay, EJ Henderson, B. Johnson and Palamalu (whom I think could be considered at CB - or at safety and let Adrian move to CB) available.

The second pick, of course, would depend on who we picked first.

And 15 picks later (#37) we'd have a third high pick.

I think under the above scenario is - at #13 you pick the best available player available who either plays DE, WR, CB, DT or MLB (or QB?). Then you repeat the process at #22 (subtracting the position you drafted at #13) and then repeat it again at #37 (subtracting the positions you drafted for at #13 and #21).'

If you do it that way, you're guaranteed to fill 3 of the 5 positions most needed with the best players available when you drafted.

Alert on McDougle - I know Wunderlic's are no big deal, but a 7? Unless the dude is a true idiot savant, I'd be inclined to pass on him in favor of Kelsay, White or Brayton. I'd like to at least have someone who has the ability to read the 2-syllable words in the defensive play book.

The K Williams option is interesting - some scouts feel that in addition to his various pluses and minuses, he has very good pass rush skills.

The write ups on Kelly Washington worry me - I'd like to see us avoid "me-guys" until our brass figures out how to effectively deal with them. Other options from #22 down might include Bryant Johnson, Tyrone Calico, Justin Gage, Bethel Johnson and Nate Burleson. And although he doesn't fit the mold, Kevin Curtis sounds like a blazing-fast version of Wayne Chrebet.

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone

I'm not that high on McDougal. Sure, he's probably the 2nd best DE in draft after Suggs, but it's a huge drop from #1 to that #2 spot. I just don't think there's a big difference in terms of quality from drafting McDougal at #13 to the 4th or 5th DE at #37.

I would go for the best quality at our other need positions (WR, DT, CB) and then take a DE in the 2nd. So at #13 I would take CB Trufant, if he's still there. Otherwise I would take DT Sullivan from Georgia. At #22 - Washington.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by spanky
Jeff Faine/ Center

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Ken, that wouldn't be solid.

IT WOULD BE THE BOMB!

You must be registered for see images

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
If we draft Taylor Jacobs I will shoot myself in the head.. We dont need a small rec who has started 1 year at Florida. WE need a big strong WR who will demand the other teams #1 corner to cover him all game.

At pick 13 If we pass on Trufant (if he is there) that would be just as bad as trading down if Suggs and Leftwich are available at 6. Not saying we would trade down from that scenario, but if we get Trufant at 13 I would be extremly happy.

Last edited:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr. Boston89
At pick 13 If we pass on Trufant (if he is there) that would be just as bad as trading down if Suggs and Leftwich are available at 6. Not saying we would trade down from that scenario, but if we get Trufant at 13 I would be extremly happy.

I completely agree. I wouldn't be all that upset if we picked Trufant at #6. I would be ecstatic if we traded down and got him at #13.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would love to get Trufant at 13.
I doubt Faine will make it past Cincinnati in the second round.
Likewise, I doubt McGahee will make it past the Raiders at the end of round 1. I would not also totally rule out the Pats taking him.
As some said earlier though.....he's a risk the Cards do not need to get involved with right now.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I would love to pick Trufant at #6. His stock has gone up some, but he is a speedy tough corner. He has played vs some pro style offenses for 4 years, since he played in the PAC-10. He can return punts and reminds me of Newman, but younger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn