Draft question

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of you are very well versed into the college game.
I have a question for you.

If the draft were today and we were drafting 1st and 15th ( currently) who would you draft with those two picks.

From what I read here and the needs of this team would you draft the consensus best wr and then an OT or would it be best to take what appears to be a dominant OT and a wr at 15?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Many of you are very well versed into the college game.
I have a question for you.

If the draft were today and we were drafting 1st and 15th ( currently) who would you draft with those two picks.

From what I read here and the needs of this team would you draft the consensus best wr and then an OT or would it be best to take what appears to be a dominant OT and a wr at 15?
MHJ and that Illinois DT, probably.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have the #1 pick, you're either drafting Caleb Williams or trading the pick. Hope the Cards can trade down a spot or two and get Harrison.
Maybe Latu, Verse or Fuaga(OL) at 15.
Very possible. If the Bears are holding 2 and 3 we could move down to 2. They get Williams and we get MHJ plus picks.
Why would the Bears trade up when they figure we want MHJ? Because there will be more than a couple of teams looking to leapfrog the Bears for Williams.

Stout

Reaction score
if you have the #1 pick, you're either drafting Caleb Williams or trading the pick. Hope the Cards can trade down a spot or two and get Harrison.
Maybe Latu, Verse or Fuaga(OL) at 15.
Not if you want MHJ and the trade down takes you past that. Then you sit pat and draft the head and shoulders best WR--for this team. It's situational for us.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd trade back 4-5 spots and take Fashanu or Alt (or like both).

Then I'd use some of that capital to move up from 15th and get Newton.

Then I'm hoping Cooper Beebe is there at #33 or I'm using some more capital to move up and get him to play LG. Or Van Pran if he's gone.

If we have a good O line and Brown stays we have more than enough at receiver to move the ball well. We can expand on the receiving corp in the 3rd round with someone like Brian Thomas Jr out of LSU. A 6'4" X that runs 4.4.

Plus Brown, Wilson, Moore and Thomas sounds like a very boring accountants firm.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Then I'm hoping Cooper Beebe is there at #33 or I'm using some more capital to move up and get him to play LG. Or Van Pran if he's gone.

If we have a good O line and Brown stays we have more than enough at receiver to move the ball well. We can expand on the receiving corp in the 3rd round with someone like Brian Thomas Jr out of LSU. A 6'4" X that runs 4.4.

Plus Brown, Wilson, Moore and Thomas sounds like a very boring accountants firm.
solid

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
15 is tricky because of who will be there. I have championed Newton for some time. I’m not a believer in Verse. I might go CB and take De Jean. Everyone is trumpeting Kool-Aid McKinstry. He‘s good but DeJean offers much more. He’s a better ballhawk. He’s better against the run. He also offers more as a kick returner. He‘s stronger and more aggressive. If both are gone I’d go Mims, OT, AL.

Stout

Reaction score

Hard disagree.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don’t know where they’re ranked or if they’re draft eligible but #20 from ND and OSU Denzel Burke(I know he can declare) have been the 2 best CBS on the field this year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DeJean offers much more. He’s a better ballhawk. He’s better against the run. He also offers more as a kick returner. He‘s stronger and more aggressive.
But not in the same ballpark in coverage. DeJean will be a safety at the next level.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After what I saw last week I just might take oline at both picks. Ideally the front office improves one or two spots on the line prior to the draft.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
15 is tricky because of who will be there. I have championed Newton for some time. I’m not a believer in Verse. I might go CB and take De Jean. Everyone is trumpeting Kool-Aid McKinstry. He‘s good but DeJean offers much more. He’s a better ballhawk. He’s better against the run. He also offers more as a kick returner. He‘s stronger and more aggressive. If both are gone I’d go Mims, OT, AL.

Dejean isn't worth that high.

I don't think he's agile enough to play outside corner. I just don't see the twitch. Same with closing speed. If a WR gets past him he rarely makes up the ground. He's going to test pretty quick running a 40 but doesn't show up in his play.

I think he's a safety in the NFL. Probably a very good safety/slot. A Kyle Hamilton type with some work. I think he goes in the mid to late 20's and he won't impact on defense in year 1.

Stout

Reaction score
Of course you would. You only spent several years moaning about our O line and now we can actually fix it you want the shiny bauble.
Right, you can't live with the disagreement. You have to go on about how I'm wrong and inconsistent lol

Crazy enough, there are more ways to fix the OL other than the top end of the draft. Also, we just drafted the LTotF. Finally, you were ardently against drafting IOL last year, so???

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Hmmm.. In a pass-driven NFL, and with our dearth of talent at WR, I don't think you can pass on the chance to draft a legit WR1 if that's what we think MJH is (tbh I haven't watched him that much).

It's arguably the 2nd most important position on offense, and we kind of suck at WR1 currently. Not good.

So I vote to trade back to as far as possible but with MJH guaranteed to still be there (again, if we're confident he'll be our Cooper Kupp/Justin Jefferson/Jamarr Chase).

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course you would. You only spent several years moaning about our O line and now we can actually fix it you want the shiny bauble.
Why can’t we have both? I’m taking a hard stand on fixing this offense. We need to stack this o-line, add a super wr, and a running back in addition to keeping Brown and Connor.
With the draft picks we have and free agency we can easily do that and STILL add to the defense.

As it is now, this offense is very easy to defend. Murray will add a little to that problem. The biggest mistake this organization can make once again would be to think Kyler is going to put THIS offense on his back and carry this team.
If Kyler is the guy we need to once and for all solidify the o-line and give him a plethora of weapons.

We can argue should we take the best o-lineman and second best wr or the best wr and second best o-lineman.
Find a RB like Auchane and a FA guard and BOOM, suddenly we have an explosive offense that can keep us in the game and help the defense.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.. In a pass-driven NFL, and with our dearth of talent at WR, I don't think you can pass on the chance to draft a legit WR1 if that's what we think MJH is (tbh I haven't watched him that much).

It's arguably the 2nd most important position on offense, and we kind of suck at WR1 currently. Not good.

So I vote to trade back to as far as possible but with MJH guaranteed to still be there (again, if we're confident he'll be our Cooper Kupp/Justin Jefferson/Jamarr Chase).
I agree. However if we stop there it won’t be enough. We need to keep Brown and Connor, add a OT and a free agent guard.
And we need to add a rb like Auchane or Swift. This would take the burden off the shoulders of Kyler carrying this whole offense on his back.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
MHJ is my target with first pick as we do not have a legit WR1 no exceptions unless a team gives us the farm. Pending free agency signings the rest of the draft is the line of scrimmage on both sides along with a Cb.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Also, we just drafted the LTotF.
Did we though? PJJ is struggling at RT and demanding a ton of additional support. Which means we're leaving The Captain on an island against the presumptive defensive player of the year.

I still like Beachum as a swing tackle; I think we have to draft someone younger to fill in behind him in the later rounds of the draft. I don't know what to think about our future at IOL. We have Marquis Hayes, Jon Gaines, Austen Pleasants, and Vitaly Gurman on IR or the practice squad; you'd love it if one of those guys becomes a rotational or back OL.

The Captain is still only 29! He could have three more solid years as a starter.

I think you spend some FA money on a veteran guard. Top of the market is likely to be about $15 million a year. Aaron Brewer (TEN), John Simpson (BAL), and Jon Runyan (GB) are likely the top guys; maybe one or two of them actually reaches free agency.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right, you can't live with the disagreement. You have to go on about how I'm wrong and inconsistent lol

Crazy enough, there are more ways to fix the OL other than the top end of the draft. Also, we just drafted the LTotF. Finally, you were ardently against drafting IOL last year, so???

I was ardently against drafting a center in a poor center class. Which has turned out to be a poor center class. I'm just generally against drafting poor players for the sake of ticking a box.

I don't mind disagreeing. It's that for years you have bemoaned lack of attention to the O line under Keim and his continuous stream of low round picks that didn't work out (ironically that you just mirrored above), and now we have the chance to remedy that and finally build from the trenches with Keim gone you want to shiny WR.

Have the shiny WR, just don't complain when the O line sucks and MHJ can't get the ball because Kyler is on his ass.