Highschool football question

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's a normal roster size for a highschool team?

As I mentioned a few months back my ex girlfriends son Ryen started football practice this week, he'll be a freshman so he's on frosh/soph. He says they have 21 kids on the team right now, isn't that extremely low for even a highschool team? He's at a public school with a fairly normal enrollment for the bay area as far as I know. Can you actually field a team with a roster that small?

He's playing both ways right now, RB/WR on offense and LB on defense. Says he's having a blast although he's exhausted, I tried to get him to do a lot more aerobic stuff to prepare but he felt he needed to get stronger so he focussed on weights more. So the running is exhausting him but he says he's having a lot of fun.

Now if I can just get him to trade in his TO jersey for a Boldin one we'll be in business.

brettman82

Reaction score
Depends on the size of the school. I attended a 1A-2A private school in South Florida and our team had about 35 players. Many of us played both ways including special teams. Out of the 35 players I would say 10-15 of them never sniffed the field. I personally loved playing both ways. It is grueling but anyone who can get through that is a tough SOB.

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
What's a normal roster size for a highschool team?

Many, perhaps the majority of high school football teams have a no cut policy. I know of kids that were on the team when I played that didn't get on the field during a game (varsity) even once in 4 years.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I played at a 5A school, there were 55 players and we still played both ways. If you showed up and practiced you wouldn't be cut, so basically there were 20 guys on the "practice squad" who never saw the field

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
Russ right now 21 is a low number because the students are out of school, the number should increase as we get closer to fall semester. It's good he's out there now to be in the coaches eyes & establishing a name for himself. Last year we had about 34 kids on the freshman roster at a school with enrollment of about 2,000. Total kids including Freshman,Varsity & JV was between 75-80. Tell him to ask questions, & so you can be more involved, make him catch 50 passes a night after practice (you throw them). :thumbup:

Reaction score
it's summer right now, upcoming froshs wouldn't start until school starts. Our team has about 10 upcoming froshs working out and that is the most that we had in my mind. It's awesome that your ex girlfriends son is working out. He and the other 20 will have a head start as soon as the season starts.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bleedingblueandsilver said:
it's summer right now, upcoming froshs wouldn't start until school starts. Our team has about 10 upcoming froshs working out and that is the most that we had in my mind. It's awesome that your ex girlfriends son is working out. He and the other 20 will have a head start as soon as the season starts.

He says they're not all freshman, some are sophs. That's my experience when I was in school too that they started practice in summer but everyone on the team was there, not just the new guys. You can't even scrimmage 11 on 11 with a roster of 21.

I hope they get more kids out once school starts, I would assume they would.

My freshman year our basketball team had 18 on the roster(coach did no cut policy) and that was all freshmen, so 21 on a football roster just seemed REALLY low to me.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BIGDADDY_REDBIRD said:
Russ right now 21 is a low number because the students are out of school, the number should increase as we get closer to fall semester. It's good he's out there now to be in the coaches eyes & establishing a name for himself. Last year we had about 34 kids on the freshman roster at a school with enrollment of about 2,000. Total kids including Freshman,Varsity & JV was between 75-80. Tell him to ask questions, & so you can be more involved, make him catch 50 passes a night after practice (you throw them). :thumbup:

He doesn't live with me, about 10 minutes away, so I only see him every few weeks but I bought him a football for his last birthday and when I see him he does bring it so we can play catch.

He really prefers defense to offense, he doesn't have great hands, but with that small of a roster you pretty much have to play both ways. He says he's playing Z RB which he described as basically a WR. I haven't had a chance to actually see what sort of offense they run, I know for years his school and one other always ran the wishbone but I don't think they do anymore.I figure with special teams on a roster that small everyone is going to have to play.

Reaction score
Being the summer I don't think that the school/coach can actually hold organized practice yet. More like "voluntary mini-camp"! IIRC, "practice" may only start on a specific date, only a few weeks prior to the start of school. :confused:

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We had 64 people on my freshman team ( basically anyone who wanted to play could be on the team)

I played both offense and defense (as did a few other kids) which pissed off some of the parents of the kids who never saw any playing time.

I still remember hearing one dad yelling at my coach, Thats effing great !! I paid $150 (uni and camp costs) to watch my kid sit on the effing bench. lol !

Reaction score
SoCal Cardfan said:
We had 64 people on my freshman team ( basically anyone who wanted to play could be on the team)

I played both offense and defense (as did a few other kids) which pissed off some of the parents of the kids who never saw any playing time.

I still remember hearing one dad yelling at my coach, Thats effing great !! I paid $150 (uni and camp costs) to watch my kid sit on the effing bench. lol !

LOL!!! Parents ought to understand that by high school age kids no longer get a friggin' trophy just for showing up! :D

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn